IGNORED

Why Don't Pros Use Iron Covers?

juanrjackson

C'mon people. We use these pieces of

But you're not a pro.

Do you imply that iron covers damage the irons? The pros break a club if they have to in order to take a difficult shot, since you do what the pros do, I expect this is something you also consider?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, that is not even close to what I meant. I don't like the hassle. The pros would use them if they needed to but obviously don't.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Who in here has said they need them for the performance? It has been stated so many times now why people use iron covers, I don't see the reason for finding arguments against them.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm not talking about performance. I'm talking about club care. I don't care if people use them, their choice. I don't because I don't like the hassle, stop trying to read into something that isn't there.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

• 2 years later...

I like people to call me a dweeb......

Seriously, a friend of mine and myself bought our MP-14 together. He did not use one whereas I did.

After a few years, his looked pretty trash, mine, to this day, still in excellent + condition.

If you're going to be a dweeb and use iron covers, at least only be a semi-dweeb. Take them off as you take your clubs out of the trunk of your car, and only put them back on after your clubs are clean and the heads are dry -- a wet club inside a head cover causes rust.

If you insist on using them, dweeb, don't replace them during a round -- as stated above, dirt and moisture with an iron cover will cause rusting... clean and dry the clubs, then replace with the cover.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

In my life experience the people who judge everything everyone else does usually have self confidence issues. This is true in all aspects of everyday life. This thread was 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Who really cares what people do or don't do with their clubs. It's their property. If something is goofy or dweeb like is all a matter of perception anyway. --- I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.262130,-119.575786

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

I find driver, wood, hybrid, and putter covers a PITA...why in the world would I want them on my irons?  Besides, at my level of golf it is impossible to tell if the nicks on my clubs are from rattling around in the bag or me mishitting.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Originally Posted by LeftyTrevor

In my life experience the people who judge everything everyone else does usually have self confidence issues. This is true in all aspects of everyday life. This thread was 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Who really cares what people do or don't do with their clubs. It's their property. If something is goofy or dweeb like is all a matter of perception anyway.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.262130,-119.575786

You chose to open the thread. But perhaps something was learned. I took the initial use of "dweeb" to be lighthearted. I've seen worse in other forums when it comes to this subject ... much worse.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Clubs for tour players are completely expendable.

Look at this:

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/archive/2011/08/12/update-rory-mcilroy-s-titleist-mb-7-iron.aspx

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

You chose to open the thread. But perhaps something was learned. I took the initial use of "dweeb" to be lighthearted. I've seen worse in other forums when it comes to this subject ... much worse.

Now y'all have done it. I ordered a set on Amazon as I am about to take on some Miura PP-9003. Already have the wedges and have a cart partner who is absolutely insane when he drives his street legal golf cart. The clanking is too much for my golf ho'in soul.

Who ever broke out the "dweeb" label nailed it.   I've never seen a legit amateur player -- someone who pays for their equipment -- use them.    Sometimes we forget what we put our irons through.   Hitting out of waste areas, hard pan lies, or off range mats that are comparable to cement.   Irons are pretty durable, the last thing you need to be concerned about is them knocking into each other in the bag.   Got hooked up with some random golfer not to long ago and he sported iron covers.  Most of our betting that day revolved around what kind of dingbat we were dealing with.  Sure enough, he loses an iron cover on one holes, has to go back.   Next, he plays my ball.   Attempts to fix a divot, turns it into a crater.  So not to typecast or anything, but if you walk to the first tee with iron covers, expect that your playing partners are making fun of you behind your back.    Might as well just wear a "Kick Me" sign.

RE: the thread title

- Professionals get their gear for free and a lot of them acually like nicked up irons. It's like getting a few door dings on a new car. Soon enough you can park within walking distance to the grocery store because one more ding really doesn't matter.

- Sponsors like clubs to be seen - unless your sponsor is Club Glove or something.

- Caddies don't care for them

For the average Joe?

All I can say is, GO FOR IT!!

susan-boyle1.jpg pro-active-soft-eze-iron-covers.jpg

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 5 weeks later...

lot's of dweeb hating here =p

Just curious, how many of the non-dweebers have actually tried a pair of covers before dismissing them?  Even if you do not see the merit or need, others may have their reasons...

Originally Posted by gotgolf?

lot's of dweeb hating here =p

Just curious, how many of the non-dweebers have actually tried a pair of covers before dismissing them?  Even if you do not see the merit or need, others may have their reasons...

It's your setup. If they look good to you that's all that counts!!

the donald 001.bmp

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

They are a PITA.

Not needed if you walk.

When riding, if you take them off before a round, or most of them, so you don't get clanking, and leave them off as you use that iron, then clean the club, dry and replace after the round, their PITA factor is minimized.

Iron covers are great for travel. Keep a set for that use. When I ride (most of the time) I find my cart bag is big enough to keep irons from banging into each other. Always cover my woods and putter.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Hate 'em.  Their kinda like ball retrievers, usually left for hacks.  Sorry to offend anyone, but thats just always been my opinion.

Driver: TaylorMade r7 460 / 11.5 degrees
Irons: Titleist 822 OS (4, 5, 6)  Titleist 962 (7, 8, 9, P, G)
Putter: Tear Drop
Ball: Precept Laddie
Wedges: Golfsmith Snake Eyes 56 degrees / 60 degrees

18 Hole Low:  67   /  9 Hole Low:  31