IGNORED

Why Don't Pros Use Iron Covers?

juanrjackson

Originally Posted by I-league

I can't believe this thread is still going. Please let it sink.

You are aware you don't have to read every thread aren't you?  I skip lots of them and the internet police have yet to come knocking on my door.

It's your setup. If they look good to you that's all that counts!!

the donald 001.bmp

Hahahahahahahaha.....?JC, that's hysterical!!! He's a good golfer, despite the hair......:-D

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by WWBDD

Wow ... a lot of unhealthy hate on for ball retrievers here.

They're just jealous.  (And broke from buying new balls all the time)

• 1 year later...

I bought my iron covers for noise reduction and loss prevention. Since my iron covers are tethered in groups, I just let them dangle. If I see a cover dangling, I know I am missing a club that should be in the bag. I have not left a club beside the green in a long time. I cannot say that about my golf buddies. They usually are looking for a club every couple of weeks.

Slow play? On the weekend I am playing courses where we usually are waiting for the group to hit. When walking, I can leisurely play under 3.5 hours. I play public courses not private clubs. I started using iron covers when walking and using a push cart. They quiet the noise that can be heard across several fairways on a quiet weekday round.

Originally Posted by HDGoose

I bought my iron covers for noise reduction and loss prevention. Since my iron covers are tethered in groups, I just let them dangle. If I see a cover dangling, I know I am missing a club that should be in the bag. I have not left a club beside the green in a long time. I cannot say that about my golf buddies. They usually are looking for a club every couple of weeks.

Slow play? On the weekend I am playing courses where we usually are waiting for the group to hit. When walking, I can leisurely play under 3.5 hours. I play public courses not private clubs. I started using iron covers when walking and using a push cart. They quiet the noise that can be heard across several fairways on a quiet weekday round.

you joined this site almost 9 months ago and the first post you make is to announce you play with iron covers...impressive, borderline epic...or staggering - maybe get nice .10 skins game going on the next round to add some enjoyment. plus you always have a ball marker that way.

• Upvote 1

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by HDGoose

I bought my iron covers for noise reduction... They quiet the noise that can be heard across several fairways on a quiet weekday round.

What exactly are your clubs made out of that they can be heard clanking together several fairways over?

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

you joined this site almost 9 months ago and the first post you make is to announce you play with iron covers...impressive, borderline epic...or staggering - maybe get nice .10 skins game going on the next round to add some enjoyment. plus you always have a ball marker that way.

Huh?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always seem to get behind players who have iron head covers and take 1-2 minutes to put them on after every shot while our group is waiting behind them painfully watching the process - after they take their brush and clean off any spec of dirt that might be in the grooves of said club......

I don't use them (iron covers) because after having found dozens of them left on the course, I decided I'm way cooler than that

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

A couple of years ago, I talked to a golf shop guy who used to play college golf. He would use covers on his irons when traveling to an out-of-town tournament. The covers went on before he put his bag into the equipment van or checked his bag with the airlines. The covers came off once he reached the tournament site, and went back on after final cleaning before transport home. He never used the covers "on course" - way too much hassle.

He also worried that moisture gets trapped under the covers using them on a damp day during play, which might lead to rust on the heads.

If a person really worries about bag wear of irons, get iron models with satin or brush finish - then bag dings aren't a worry.

As for tubes: I carry one in my bag - my putter goes in it, to keep it from getting lost among the wedges.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

May I reiterate what I said on this thread nearly 4 years ago...iron covers are nerdy. Not to mention I have never seen any decent golfer use them. I do not see any reason anyone would use them, I play 75+ rounds a year and practice twice that often. I have forged blades and they look and work just fine after 2 full seasons. Iron covers are a waste of time and money. The course I work at throws away hundreds of the stupid things every year because people constantly lose them.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

Originally Posted by I-league

I can't believe this thread is still going. Please let it sink.

Post of the Day!!!

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

I always seem to get behind players who have iron head covers and take 1-2 minutes to put them on after every shot while our group is waiting behind them painfully watching the process - after they take their brush and clean off any spec of dirt that might be in the grooves of said club......

I clean my club after every shot before I put it away, too.  Takes no time at all because I do it while others are hitting, or after driving forward to my ball and waiting on the next shot.  My irons are always spotless in my bag, but I don't need head covers to keep them that way.  What really gets me is those who use iron covers religiously, but never clean the clubs off.  They have grass and dirt caked into the grooves, then wonder why they can't make them perform.

Originally Posted by NM Golf

May I reiterate what I said on this thread nearly 4 years ago...iron covers are nerdy. Not to mention I have never seen any decent golfer use them. I do not see any reason anyone would use them, I play 75+ rounds a year and practice twice that often. I have forged blades and they look and work just fine after 2 full seasons. Iron covers are a waste of time and money. The course I work at throws away hundreds of the stupid things every year because people constantly lose them.

The course I worked at has the same issue.  But it's not just with iron covers, our lost and found box fills up mostly with driver or 3W head covers.  Then toss a few iron covers in the bin and they filter down to the bottom, then the bin has to be completely emptied on the rare occasion that someone actually comes looking for his lost iron cover.  But we also ended up with hundreds of clubs too, and all brands and numbers.  Public course golfers seem to be incredibly absent-minded, and/or sloppy, judging by the sheer volume of stuff they leave behind on the course.  The other surprising thing about it is how few ever show up to reclaim what they lost.  Lose a cell phone or GPS... they are all over it, but lose a club and it ends up donated to some junior golf program at the end of the year.

And I will repeat what I said in this thread 4 years ago.  I use a ball retriever because I don't see any sense in throwing away a perfectly good ball that I've hit just out of reach in the hazard.  If that makes me dweebie or nerdy or otherwise offends you sense of propriety, then I have a well used finger for you.  I don't use iron covers because they are more hassle than they are worth.  I don't resell my clubs, and dings and nicks in irons are a part of the game, 99% of which come from playing the game properly.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The course I worked at has the same issue.  But it's not just with iron covers, our lost and found box fills up mostly with driver or 3W head covers.  Then toss a few iron covers in the bin and they filter down to the bottom, then the bin has to be completely emptied on the rare occasion that someone actually comes looking for his lost iron cover.  But we also ended up with hundreds of clubs too, and all brands and numbers.  Public course golfers seem to be incredibly absent-minded, and/or sloppy, judging by the sheer volume of stuff they leave behind on the course.  The other surprising thing about it is how few ever show up to reclaim what they lost.  Lose a cell phone or GPS... they are all over it, but lose a club and it ends up donated to some junior golf program at the end of the year.

Its crazy isn't it?! People leave $300 range finders in carts and never come back for them. Before Erik gave me my Leupold, I had a Bushnell range finder that someone left and never came back for. My dad has a unclaimed rangefinder and GPS. People that leave these things must have more money than brains.

Sorry, back on topic...

Originally Posted by NM Golf

What exactly are your clubs made out of that they can be heard clanking together several fairways over?

Probably forged titanium muscleback blades using "brimstone processing".  Those are the only real clubs that need iron covers anyway.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/32564/how-do-you-hit-170-yards-with-7-iron/90#post_506258

By the way, if you go to that post you'll see I gave it the thumbs up.  I sometimes get a kick out of reading extremely old threads that existed before the forum makeover, and giving them posthumous thumbs ups.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Pros have no reasons to use iron covers or tubes because they can get new clubs any time they want for free.  If all you had to do was stop at the tour truck and could get custom fitted for a set of whatever you wanted, would YOU use covers/tubes?

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• 2 weeks later...
And I'm sure the folks at Callaway, Taylormade, Ping etc. paying their huge paychecks would just love it for the pros to cover up the clubs they're trying to sell.

Hahaha, true. I remember an article about an LPGA golfer that used iron covers and was "nicely" told not to by her sponsor afterwards.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3