IGNORED

Why Don't Pros Use Iron Covers?

juanrjackson

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Pros have no reasons to use iron covers or tubes because they can get new clubs any time they want for free.  If all you had to do was stop at the tour truck and could get custom fitted for a set of whatever you wanted, would YOU use covers/tubes?

For some reason people continue to perpetuate this myth that irons, particularly forged irons will somehow be damaged through normal use if not protected by covers.  Nonsense.

This is what a set of forged irons looks like after 4 years, 500+ rounds, and countless range sessions.  It's worth noting that I'm a bit of a digger too.  As you can see, they're nearly ready for the trash heap.  Barely playable.......

If someone wants to use iron covers, they should knock themselves out and do so.  But understand that your clubs will not suffer ANY damage if you don't, and if you do, you will be viewed as a hack by the vast majority of better golfers.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

For some reason people continue to perpetuate this myth that irons, particularly forged irons will somehow be damaged through normal use if not protected by covers.  Nonsense.

This is what a set of forged irons looks like after 4 years, 500+ rounds, and countless range sessions.  It's worth noting that I'm a bit of a digger too.  As you can see, they're nearly ready for the trash heap.  Barely playable.......

Hey David, now that I know your address I'll be hanging around your trash heap looking to score your cast-offs

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Hey David, now that I know your address I'll be hanging around your trash heap looking to score your cast-offs c2_beer.gif

Long trip from up there for a set of irons that beat up! :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 3 months later...

I purchased covers because of the clanging and didn't feel the contact would be good for the clubs.

I understand what some are saying here about the abuse clubs take when hitting out of many certain ball lies.

I had a set of clubs that I used (off and on) for 15 years and it really didn't seem to effect them at all. I golf maybe 3 times a year on average so I'm sure that played a big role also.

I like the suggestion here to put the covers on when they are in your vehicle(cleaned and dried), and take them off when at the course.

Sounds sensible to me.

The covers I did buy this year are neoprene and after having golfed 4 times so far(lol, I'm catching the golf bug...look at me go), they are falling apart already.

The ONLY time I ever use iron covers is when in traveling and want to reduce the chances of my irons smashing against each other. We all see how airport personnel throw around luggage. And I don't want to get a hard case lol.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

• 7 months later...

Hey guys

I use my covers on my irons always, take them off only when playing as soon as im done clean the irons  dry them out, and then put the covers on from the club back to house !

Helps keep the irons safe from rusting if u live in a place with ocean etc.

• Administrator
Helps keep the irons safe from rusting if u live in a place with ocean etc.

It might actually make them more likely to rust. Moisture can build up and be trapped inside.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

... And the thread is back.

I was a fan of iron covers. Used them for a long time and still have them on my clubs now. With that said, my clubs have some rust and look just as bad as my previous set of irons in which no iron covers were used. I'm getting a new set of irons this spring, and won't be using covers. The rust issue alone makes them not worth it. I dry my clubs off, but if the cover gets wet on a damp morning and you don't remember to leave it off, your clubs will rust as a result. IMO that looks worse than some light dings. A person who is very particular and spends alot of time cleaning each club can keep their irons looking very nice by using covers, but if you aren't willing to put in that time & hassle then they can have an adverse effect.

I disagree with the "only hackers use iron covers" theory though. I know people that use iron covers that can beat me, and I don't consider myself a hacker.

• 1 year later...

New forged Titleist irons (VG3 )for me, so of course i'm concerned.  But only during transit as i'm sometimes on crummy buses, even motorbikes.  I made covers, from old towels which look like big socks with attached tying lines.  Accommodate 3 or 4 irons and tie tight.  Once at the course, off they come and into the bag till game over.  My other issue is that with my 'sunday' bag, just a practice bag with a kinda flimsy top covering, the irons press hard and have known to break thru the  fabric.  My new covers will prevent that from  happening.

And for the really cheap charlies out there: if no driver head cover, can use a long athletic sock, think soccer, to cover head till help arrives. Lots of colors available.

I use iron head covers. I find it laughable that some are saying "I wouldn't be got dead with 'em" or "it says you suck at golf if you use them".

Are you serious? I like the reduced chatter when I'm walking the course, and I don't mind at all that they're a semblance of protection.

Golf snobbery at it's finest.

X4

I have been using iron covers because I hate the damn clanging sound when riding around on a bumpy cart path.  What I do find comical is somebody saying your a dweeb for using them and you look over at their bag and they have a Yoda, Chewbacca, or Stewie, etc. headcovers.  WTF!

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Wow. I've never thought to judge people on weather they have Iron covers and ball retrievers. I Golf with two guys whom both have Iron covers. One's a scratch handicap and the other is a 6. I don't see them scuffing it across the course or shanking it into the water.

Huh, I guess I need to worry about what others think I'm thinking of them. Other wise they should feel meaningless.

Now, I know my next X-Mas gift to all my Golfing buddies.......HEAD COVERS!

Iron covers yes, ball retriever oh hail No!

... And the thread is back.

I was a fan of iron covers. Used them for a long time and still have them on my clubs now. With that said, my clubs have some rust and look just as bad as my previous set of irons in which no iron covers were used. I'm getting a new set of irons this spring, and won't be using covers. The rust issue alone makes them not worth it. I dry my clubs off, but if the cover gets wet on a damp morning and you don't remember to leave it off, your clubs will rust as a result. IMO that looks worse than some light dings. A person who is very particular and spends alot of time cleaning each club can keep their irons looking very nice by using covers, but if you aren't willing to put in that time & hassle then they can have an adverse effect.

I disagree with the "only hackers use iron covers" theory though. I know people that use iron covers that can beat me, and I don't consider myself a hacker.

X5