IGNORED

Why Don't Pros Use Iron Covers?

juanrjackson

shaft tubes on there clubs?

I notice there irons rattle together & bounce around in the golf bag while the caddy is carrying them around?

Do iron covers or tubes hurt your clubs?

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

Probably more of an inconvenience than anything. Plus both items would add extra weight to an already heavy bag. The bags are so big, the shaft tubes would never stay in one place anyway. The player doesn't have to carry the bag around the course, but they usually do for travel; in and out of airports, hotels, etc. I doubt they do any damage, but who cares. Almost everyone gets free stuff anyway. They hit off of cart paths and rocks all the time. I'm sure they get those clubs replaced.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I think pros get their clubs replaced every match or maybe even every round by their sponsors. I remember seeing Tiger breaking an iron before when it hit a tree, he didn't cry over it.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

• Administrator
I think pros get their clubs replaced every match or maybe even every round by their sponsors. I remember seeing Tiger breaking an iron before when it hit a tree, he didn't cry over it.

No. Irons last for months, years, etc. Some pros have had the same iron sets for several years.

Since nobody else will say it, the answer some are thinking of is this: They don't have tubes or iron covers because they're not dweebs. And that being said, i've never played with anyone in the past four or five years that have had either.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since nobody else will say it, the answer some are thinking of is this: They don't have tubes or iron covers because they're not dweebs.

That is what I wanted to say, but couldn't think of the polite way to say it.

• Upvote 1

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Irons and steel shafts seem to last forever. I've never seen a iron face get a dent or scratch from another club. Same goes for steel shafts. Woods need covers since the graphite shaft can get nicked and the heads (even titanium) are thin enough to dent and scratch the paint/finish

Driver: 905r 10.5
3 - Wood: 15degree
hybrid: heavenwood 20 degree
Irons: MP - 32 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey 54 and 60Putter: Anser 2 Belly

Actually I think the tubes can cause wear marks on graphite shafts... think about it, the graphite bouncing into the plastic all day.

...and I agree with the above comments... pros definately do NOT get new irons weekly or even monthly, more like every year or two, just depends when they need or want them.

Tubes suck because they add weight to bag, mess up graphite shafts, and look silly.

Iron covers suck becuase they look silly and are a huge pain in the rear end

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Because they're not necessary.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

They don't use them because they don't pay for anything. I pay for mine and like them without the dings.....which makes me a dweeb by the way

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

I'm a dweeb too...because I use iron covers. I guess I hate the noise when the clubs hit together lol

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

iacas said it but I will too. Iron covers are really considered hacker equipment. They rate in importance somewhere between those ridiculous clicker things people use to keep their score and the swiss army knife/ divot tool/ cleat wrench/ ball marker/ cleat brush. No real player I know would be caught dead using iron covers, they are the golfing equipment equivalent of a pocket protector.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Iron covers are cooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

dings on my clubs don't really bother me, and I like the sound of my clubs hitting against each other when I'm walking. But then again, I don't play forged clubs, which I imagine would look pretty bad after a couple weeks of buying them.

Headcovers on woods are enough of an annoyance(I am on the verge of leaving them in the car.) What annoys me is, invariably, the only shots that leave marks on my clubs are the ones way out on the toe

I don't give a sh*t about using iron covers. This is my second set of forged irons and I learned the hard way the first time of what bag chatter does to a forged club.

And I highly doubt any of you would even fathom the thought of calling me a dweeb if we got paired together.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

I don't give a sh*t about using iron covers. This is my second set of forged irons and I learned the hard way the first time of what bag chatter does to a forged club.

I have forged irons, and I walk every round, with no headcovers, and my clubs look just fine after 2 seasons of playing them. Do you usually ride in a cart? That would produce a little more "chatter"..... in which case you would be a double dweeb.

i used to ride a lot, but now I'm starting to walk.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...