IGNORED

Should the PGA Tour go Soft Spikes only?

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 5502 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I noticed that even Tiger has now switched to the Stinger spikes on his new golf shoes. I know that Phil still uses the old metal spikes and I'm sure there are a few other guys, but is it time to put an end to that?

Unles Tiger is using the Pro Stinger, which is a Stinger spike with a post in the middle, which is probably worse, LOL.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Having grown up with steel spikes I don't remember any real advantage to them over soft spikes, but then again I have never swung as hard as the PGA Tour guys do.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Having grown up with steel spikes I don't remember any real advantage to them over soft spikes, but then again I have never swung as hard as the PGA Tour guys do.

Especially with today's "soft" spikes, I don't see the difference. In fact, I'd say that the more points of contact make for a more solid stance. Now when you were talking the original soft spikes which just has like 10 little 1/8" nubs on each spike, I could tell the difference.

Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW

Pro V1x

YES... the tour should switch. I would go as far as to say the USGA rules should ban metal spikes... there's really no need for them anymore. Maybe in some conditions they offer a mild advantage, but pros would have no problem adapting... just like the rest of us have.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I miss my metal spikes. Can't we outlaw soft spikes instead?

In my bag:

Cleveland Hi Bore XLS 8.5* X Stiff
Mizuno MP 650 13*
Halo 22 Deg Apex Plus 4-E Apex Plus Gap Wedge CG15 54 Deg CG10 58 Deg Anser 4 ProV1x

I more wonder if it's a fairness issue - either they should go soft spikes only or allow tamping down of spike marks. I know I would be pissed if I was wearing soft spikes and then had to deal with Phil dragging his feet all over the green in front of me, while he had no such issues.

Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW

Pro V1x

I think they should be forced to switch. We have to adapt to every change made, so why not them? I know it was mostly a course rule that enacted the change to soft spikes, but good luck finding a course that will let any of us walk on in metal spikes these days.

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

• Administrator

You know, in the past I've supported the PGA Tour's right to use regular spikes, but the last time I gave it any thought was about five years ago, and I'm switching my answer as of today.

So there you go. Heck, I wouldn't even care if the Rules of Golf forbade spikes of a certain length or longer (though that's perhaps not really their purview). Let's roll back spikes!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know I would be pissed if I was wearing soft spikes and then had to deal with

I love how Phil is always the person mentioned... as if dozens of others aren't wearing them as well.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I love how Phil is always the person mentioned... as if dozens of others aren't wearing them as well.

He's the only one we see on TV using them - maybe Vijay too, I forget.

Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW

Pro V1x

its cause phil is a POS, no one else has their ENTIRE family come running out and hugging them as if they found their long lost "daddy" after 20 years when they finish the 18th....

I agree that they should go soft spikes only. The players won't play any worse, it sets a standard which should have been set long ago.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

He's the only one we see on TV using them - maybe Vijay too, I forget.

I thought Vijay confronted him about them? Maybe I'm remembering the story wrong.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

its cause phil is a POS, no one else has their ENTIRE family come running out and hugging them as if they found their long lost "daddy" after 20 years when they finish the 18th....

...and this has to do with spikes how? Also, I have seen many players children and wives run out on the 18th after a win... we just see Phil's family do it more because he wins more than the next guy.

It would be interesting to know how many tour pros still wear metal spikes.

Is it possible that Tiger’s switch to soft spikes has something to do with his newly reconstructed knee?

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

If I remember correctly, Steve Elkington chose not to play in a US Open qualifier because they wanted him to switch to soft spikes and he refused. It might have been someone else, I don't know. I don't care who it was. What a feaking idiot. Who says the top pros don't look down on the rest of us underlings

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Let them keep the spikes. The greens and fairways are rolled, mowed and manicured after every round so I don't believe they are destroying the course.

As for having to putt over the occasional spike mark, they have the opportunity to repair it like they do a ball mark. (I believe) If they don't, then too bad and welcome to what the 95% of public course playing golfers deal with on a daily basis. Just adds to their superiority, IMHO.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Note: This thread is 5502 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!