IGNORED

opinions on my potential??

Note: This thread is 5469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This thread is really kinda ridiculous... I say if he wants to go for it, go for it. But be reasonable as you might need to fall back on that degree if things don't work out. But by all means, give it a shot. Eliminate any chance of "What if."

You know what irritates me? This guy isn't the only one that could use some help/advice!!!! haha.

So, I'm about post and ask for help with my golf game and I expect some good advice people!
Bag:
Driver: '09 Burner 9.5*
3 wood: SQ2
Hybrid 3: SQ2
Irons 4 - AW: r7SW: Vokey SM 56FW: 64Putter: fastbackBalls: NXT Tour

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey brah, just because i might have a chance of being a touring pro

Ok, here it goes again. Let's figure there are 2000 PGA golfers who make a decent living (I'd assume there are fewer). Depending on where you search online, there are an estimated 50-61 million golfers in the world. .004% of the golfing population is on the PGA (if my first stat was anywhere accurate...someone here probably knows the real number). So, assuming that making the Tour is completely random, you have a .004% chance of making the Tour. Now, we all know that it's not random at all.

You do not appreciate how great these guys are at golf. If you cannot break 80 on an easy, shorter course, what chance do you have of getting on tour? I'd say 0. Pros break 70 on some of the hardest courses in the world...and they're usually longer than 6500 yards. I just found out today that a kid (24 years old) on the Hooters Tour shot a 61 (he's a friend of a friend). He didn't even win.
yardages: driver-280 carry, 3iron-225, pw-155-160

Why do you keep citing driver carry distance? When I compute my avg driver distance, I usually figure the total distance it traveled, not carry or roll distance. Maybe I'm wrong here, but isn't that the norm?

2. fairways: i would say an average round would be around 35-40%, and greens in regulation average round would be about 45% or so. and putts i would say i average about 35-38 putts a round

What do you mean "I'd say"? Is that code for "I haven't the slightest clue"? Or "I'm going to take the stats from my better rounds"? Keep track of the stats, then tell us what they are.

3. long irons i am money. for any shot over like 215 i always use my 3 iron. and i would say 4/5 times it is a solid hit with good distance.

Is there anything you're bad at? Seriously, you may be the best internet golfer ever. I'm sure others on here would love to play you in a match and show you what golf really is.

dude the average par 4 yardage is 375 yds. i know its not the longest but its not the shortest either and average par 5 yardage is 515 yds, and average par 3 yardage is 178 yds.

IMO 375 for a par 4 is short. I'm not nearly as long as you claim to be and I hit wedges into those greens. You may drive the green on half of the holes.

I really don't care if someone is cocky or arrogant, but this is ridiculous. You started a thread and asked a question. However, you only wanted to hear that it's possible for you to get on tour. Why bother asking then? It seems that almost everyone here thinks that it would be impossible for you to get on tour...maybe it's true. Maybe, you're not as good as you think you are. Throughout the thread, you have continued to criticize others for their legit handicaps (I'm saying yours is wrong), equipment, and "u mad brah." Just stop. You can continue to think that you are the greatest golfer ever, but you are wrong.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

ok now, alcorn lemme answer ur questions:

I'll go one by one so you'll understand exactly where I'm going.

Your answer to 1. My first thought here was what about the yardages for the rest of the clubs. You should have a pretty good idea of distance for each club. (when i asked what clubs you have I was looking for more specific information. Check my signature out. Thats kinda what I was looking for.) Of course my second thought was "Why don't you hit your 3 or 5 woods"? You hit your driver in the fairway 35-40% of the time and you don't take advantage of either of those two clubs off the tee? Why not? A 240 yard 3 wood in the fairway will often out do a 280 yard drive in trouble. Next I guess I'll address your irons being "Money". I probably wouldn't claim that with a GIR rating less than 50%. You can hit ball long according to the information you gave us but according to your GIR estimate your irons aren't accurate. As far as your putting goes, 35-38 putts per round... The 38 means you have atleast two three putts per round. Yesterday, I had 31 putts and I couldn't believe how bad I was doing. Of course I played like crap all day yesterday. Last year I averaged around 28 putts per round. So I would work on all of my short game if I were you. I asked about playing in tournaments and leagues because those are pressure situations. Me and some guys I played on a team with during high school played with during high school play a "circuit" of tournaments that we created just for fun. Its extremely competitive. I've also been playing mens leagues since I started. Playing in competitions lets you see where you really are when pressure is added.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

dude the average par 4 yardage is 375 yds. i know its not the longest but its not the shortest either and average par 5 yardage is 515 yds, and average par 3 yardage is 178 yds.

Wow.. Really? a 375 yard par 4? I'll give ya that it probably is average from middle tees on a lot of muni courses. I've posted two links below. The first one go to and Click "scorecard" on the top tool bar and take a look at yardages on a good golf course. I've played all of these from the orange and they're extremely tough. One of them is a course they played on the Nike tour a few years ago (incase you're not familiar its kinda like the minors for golf). Those guys play from the backs.

http://www.rtjgolf.com/capitolhill/ This next course is well known if paid attention to the last Ryder Cup. Click on score card and pay attention to the back tees. http://www.valhallagolfclub.com/index.cfm?menu=2900# Now take a look at your course.

Clubs:
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

another point that I DO have a clue. man everybody cant play on no executive course, although i would love to cuz i am a long hitter. I play with what I got and granted its not that long, but there are many courses that are shorter.

Go play

http://www.rivercoursegolf.com/ . It is public and just outside of Blacksburg. Let us know how you do.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

shot a 41(+5) for nine holes today. best round ever.

im gonna say prolly not,youve been playing 6 years and still a high handicap,ive been playin 2 1/2 yrs ima 5 and prolly wont make it either

Thanks for the laughs. I'm a noob to this site. I think the OP has all the potential in the world, best darn Internet golfer I have ever read about. I come from the online world of drag racing/cars and this guy is a far better bench golfer then the best bench racers I've come across.

You think you can go pro? Then go 4 it. What does a "Pro" need from an online community of average golfers?

Driver: TM r9 Driver Motore F1 65 Stiff
Woods: TM r5 Dual 3 Fairway Wood Stiff, TM Mid Rescue 3H Regular
Irons: TM r7 Irons 4-AW Regular
Wedges: Cleveland DSG 588 56/14, Callaway X Series Jaws 58/8
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I'll go one by one so you'll understand exactly where I'm going.

yes, i agree that i should probably start using my 3 and 5 wood off the tee. but i am kinda like anthony kim, cuz i hit those out of bounds a lot, and as for my iron play i said my LONG iron play was money, not my scoring irons. and yes my putting is atrocious i need to somehow stop 3 putting.

Go play

Yep, brah this is where the VT golf team plays and yes i have thought about playing there but there is one thing. VERY expensive. Why would i pay $32 and drive 20 minutes versus paying $11 and walking to the course. I am sure I will play it eventually but there is no way I can afford that on a regular basis. maybe a couple times a semester. hopefully i will play it by the end of the semester tho.

im gonna say prolly not,youve been playing 6 years and still a high handicap,ive been playin 2 1/2 yrs ima 5 and prolly wont make it either

1. i havent been playing for 6 years. the first 4 years i literally played a grand total of probably 6-7 rounds. this year and last year is when i actually started playing

2. a 12 handicap is not high brah 3. but thanks for the support!

yes, i agree that i should probably start using my 3 and 5 wood off the tee. but i am kinda like anthony kim, cuz i hit those out of bounds a lot, and as for my iron play i said my LONG iron play was money, not my scoring irons. and yes my putting is atrocious i need to somehow stop 3 putting.

Then hit long irons off the tee, duh brah.

What's In My Bag
Driver: 905 T 9.5 Degrees
3-Wood: SS Hypersteel
Irons: 704.cb 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey Spinmilled 52,54,58Putter: YES! golf TracyBall: Pro V1

thats what i do brah.3 iron all day.

Then if the 3 iron is money then why don't you hit more fairways?!

What's In My Bag
Driver: 905 T 9.5 Degrees
3-Wood: SS Hypersteel
Irons: 704.cb 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey Spinmilled 52,54,58Putter: YES! golf TracyBall: Pro V1

Sorry 804. My mistake. Most people can hit their short irons as well or better than their longs. You still need to work on accuracy and not running to excuses for your game which probably needs work.

Clubs:

Sorry 804. My mistake. Most people can hit their short irons as well or better than their longs. You still need to work on accuracy and not running to excuses for your game which probably needs work.

yea weird, idk what it is brah, but i can hit my 3 iron really well, but then when i get to like 7-pw im not as accurate or good with those. weird. any suggestions?

typical yardages:

First of all, you don't carry a driver 280 and you don't hit a 9 iron 170 unless you live on top of a mountain.

If you want realistic answers then you need to give realistic information. There is only a handful of guys on tour that average 280 carry with a driver. Most of them struggle to hit a 3 iron 230. Also a 170 yard 9 iron is pretty out of wack too.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

Note: This thread is 5469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!