IGNORED

opinions on my potential??

Note: This thread is 5468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

shot a 41(+5) for nine holes today. best round ever.

if i converted that to 18 holes for a 82 that would be a 12 handicap for the course i played on.

age started playing: 13
age started playing seriously(more than a couple times a year):2008
swing:totally self taught never had a lesson in my life.
height: 5'10
weight 185
squat: 330 lbs
deadlift:275 lbs

2008 was when i really started playing more. i played probably 8-10 times that summer (once a week on average) and now Im starting to play again about once a week)

typical yardages:
driver:280 carry
3 iron:230
9 iron: 170

potential? u think i got a chance to make a career or no?

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a career as in a touring professional? Odds are no, although I won't say never. Some other sort of career in the golf profession (sales rep, club pro, course general manager, etc), by all means. I've dropped my handicap about 9 strokes over the last year and am keeping that downward trend going and am shooting to pass my PAT in a couple years and try to make it as a club pro or teaching pro.

To make it as a touring pro you would have to have sponsors/funding that would allow you to make golf your profession right now. Practice every day, all day, get the best instruction, and you could get yourself to scratch potentially. I'd recommend picking up a copy of Paper Tiger by Tom Coyne just to give you an idea of what you're up against. He went on a 16 month quest, spent in excess of $100k, went from a 14 to a +1, and still could barely break 80 in qualifying schools because of the mental part of the game. I think we as amateurs underestimate just how hard it is to play in a real tournament environment where your livelihood is on the line.

Not to be discouraging, though! If you set your mind to it and work at it, I say go for it. If I had started playing seriously at 19 instead of 23, I might be thinking the same things as you. Instead, I've relegated myself to trying to make it as a club pro and maybe playing some mini-tour events down the road for fun. Good luck!

What I play:

Driver: XLS Hibore 9.5* Fit-On Red (S)
Woods: Tour XPC 16* Graffaloy ProLite (S)
Hybrid: Exotics 3HIrons: Reid Lockhart 3-SWWedge: rac 60*Putter: a crappy $20 Academy putter (but it works!)

No and no Just joking mostly but unless you shot 12 over on torrey pines set from the tips under pro conditions and you had 10 disaster holes then you will have to get a lot better before considering a career in golf.

I read a quote on here I think from palmer or someone that if your thinking about playing golf professionally you should at least be able to shoot low to mid sixties on all of you local courses.

Plus it becomes exponentially difficult to drop your handicap from 15-14-13 etc... Some golf magazine tried to provide a guy with all the resources necessary to lower his handicap to scratch from single digits and he failed miserably. I shot 3 over on 9 once but I'm probably a 18 handicap now as I generally average bogey by the 18th hole.

Basically as you continue playing you'll get better, then you will hit a plateau and stay where you are unless you work really hard to get to the next plateau. It could take months to years to lifetimes.

2008 was when i really started playing more. i played probably 8-10 times that summer (once a week on average) and now Im starting to play again about once a week)

I'm gonna jerk and say heck no. First you have to consider that to get that good you have to practice every day for atleast a couple of hours. Second, You shot a 41 on your home course (probably). In order to understand exactly how easy the average local course in small town or city america when compared to Augusta or any other course the pro's play you really have to play it. It'll add ten strokes to your handicap easily. Even the nike tour courses are pretty darn tough in comparison. The end factor is your age. Your 19 and you shot an 82 on 18 holes (actually i think you said you converted it to that from a 41 on 9). Do you realize the majority of the pros start out very young and they break 80 before their ten.

If I were you I would focus lesson on a career at golf and focus more on going out there shooting good scores and having some fun. Just my opinion though.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

I'm gonna jerk and say heck no. First you have to consider that to get that good you have to practice every day for atleast a couple of hours. Second, You shot a 41 on your home course (probably). In order to understand exactly how easy the average local course in small town or city america when compared to Augusta or any other course the pro's play you really have to play it. It'll add ten strokes to your handicap easily. Even the nike tour courses are pretty darn tough in comparison. The end factor is your age. Your 19 and you shot an 82 on 18 holes (actually i think you said you converted it to that from a 41 on 9). Do you realize the majority of the pros start out very young and they break 80 before their ten.

yes, this is exactly what i was thinking. it would be really cool if someone could find out like the top 150 players on the pga tour money list and at what age they broke 80. that would be very interesting to see the percent of players who were just a prodigy to begin with and how many actually went from a mid level handicap to pro.

o and i have another question. say i got my handicap in the 4-6 range. Is there any place in the world where u could play and make money off that? or hell no?

Did you just get the new Ping G10 irons?

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

o and i have another question. say i got my handicap in the 4-6 range. Is there any place in the world where u could play and make money off that? or hell no?

Probably a hell no, there are members on here that have a +handicap index and I don't believe they are bringing home the bacon. Some are but you have be at least scratch or better to even come close.

Probably a hell no, there are members on here that have a +handicap index and I don't believe they are bringing home the bacon. Some are but you have be at least scratch or better to even come close.

thanks for dashing my hopes lol

but maybe i could be scratch one day. u just never know

It is probably going to be a no. I suggest going out each and every day this summer. Hit hundreds of balls and putt and chip. Work on your short game as much as you can. Your 19, just like me so you have the whole summer off. Use it to your advantage and at the end of it you can walk away and see just where you stand. Just keep pushing to lower your handicap as much as possible. Play in a local tourney or two and just realize how much tournament play is than just going out casually.
What's In My Bag
Driver: 905 T 9.5 Degrees
3-Wood: SS Hypersteel
Irons: 704.cb 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey Spinmilled 52,54,58Putter: YES! golf TracyBall: Pro V1

i hear a lot of people on this forum talk about like playing in a tournament like its some big bad wolf. for me, the way i look at it, i never even played golf till 13 or 14 and never really played it more than a couple times a year until like a year or so ago. I played football, basketball, and baseball growin up and i could have played baseball in college (i had several offers but turned them down(yes DIII), so like If i played in a tournament i just feel like it wouldnt be a big deal as golf was never part of my life until recently and i just feel like there wouldnt be as much pressure on me as such say baseball or football or something cuz like i didnt grow up with it and its kinda just nothing to lose kinda attitude. does anybody feel this way?? sorry for the long post. no cliffs.

Did you just get the new Ping G10 irons?

That was rediculously funny, and I'm pretty sure everyone but me missed it.

ROTFLMAO As to the OP... no offense, but you haven't played long enough for us to know your potential, and you're probably getting too late of a start. If you start breaking par by the end of the summer from the tips... you might start making some plans.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

i hear a lot of people on this forum talk about like playing in a tournament like its some big bad wolf. for me, the way i look at it, i never even played golf till 13 or 14 and never really played it more than a couple times a year until like a year or so ago. I played football, basketball, and baseball growin up and i could have played baseball in college (i had several offers but turned them down(yes DIII), so like If i played in a tournament i just feel like it wouldnt be a big deal as golf was never part of my life until recently and i just feel like there wouldnt be as much pressure on me as such say baseball or football or something cuz like i didnt grow up with it and its kinda just nothing to lose kinda attitude. does anybody feel this way?? sorry for the long post. no cliffs.

Sorry but this is not completely true. Yes you want a loose attitude, but EVERYONE will have nerves settling in on the first tee. Tourney play means no gimmes, no playing the ball up, and counting every stroke. I'll admit the pressure is not too big for me anymore, but I have played in countless state finals rounds and have had crowds following me. You have to get used to it before your game on non tourney rounds will show up in tourney play. I also played other sports in high school. I also had 6 schollie offers from JUCO's in baseball. Turned them all down. Playing other sports is not completely like dealing with golf. Golf is way more mental than those. Other sports are basically instinct driven.

What's In My Bag
Driver: 905 T 9.5 Degrees
3-Wood: SS Hypersteel
Irons: 704.cb 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey Spinmilled 52,54,58Putter: YES! golf TracyBall: Pro V1

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Sorry but this is not completely true. Yes you want a loose attitude, but EVERYONE will have nerves settling in on the first tee. Tourney play means no gimmes, no playing the ball up, and counting every stroke. I'll admit the pressure is not too big for me anymore, but I have played in countless state finals rounds and have had crowds following me. You have to get used to it before your game on non tourney rounds will show up in tourney play. I also played other sports in high school. I also had 6 schollie offers from JUCO's in baseball. Turned them all down. Playing other sports is not completely like dealing with golf. Golf is way more mental than those. Other sports are basically instinct driven.

yes i see ur point although i NEVER do gimmes, i putt everything out, i never touch the ball, play it as it lies, and i ALWAYs count every stroke. this means playing provisionals in case of lost ball, taking penaltys and being honest.

Note: This thread is 5468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!