IGNORED

Quitting Smoking

neudi
Note: This thread is 3659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I quit cold turkey after smoking for 12 years. It was very tough, I stopped talking to a lot of my "smoking" friends during my quitting phase. I had dreams that I was smoking and was very upset when I woke up. But after 3 months I was able to break the daily habit of smoking. I smoked "socially" for a few months, but just found that I would get physically ill for a few days after smoking "socially". I finally broke the habit permanently by training for and running half marathons and marathons. I'm actually doing 2 triathlons this year.

I guess my lesson learned is that, if you want to quit. Prepare yourself mentally and find a physical activity (e.g. running) to occupy your time.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I quit cold turkey after smoking for 12 years. It was very tough, I stopped talking to a lot of my "smoking" friends during my quitting phase. I had dreams that I was smoking and was very upset when I woke up. But after 3 months I was able to break the daily habit of smoking. I smoked "socially" for a few months, but just found that I would get physically ill for a few days after smoking "socially". I finally broke the habit permanently by training for and running half marathons and marathons. I'm actually doing 2 triathlons this year.

My activity is P90X workout program. :)
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

This is day 36, 14 without the patch, and I feel so good. Only time I ever have urges is when I see people light up.
What's In The Bag?

Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Just started quitting with NicoDerm CQ and man do these patches make me feel weird. They make me nautious and always give me a constant buzz. Has anyone else quit with these? What should I expect?

I quite smoking a few years back using the nicatrol inhaler. It works. Its a bit expensive as others have indicated but you touch on all the cues of smoking. After you quite, compute the money you saved, and take half that and buy yourself a new driver, as a reward. For me in new york a pack was at the time I quite about 6 bucks. I smoked a pack every two days. so I saved since I quite: about $6,000. Also, quitting lowers your handicap! Good Luck!

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

I have only saved around 160 dollars, but that is quite fine with me. Day 37 and 15 without the patch. Hardly any cravings anymore!!!!!!!!!!
What's In The Bag?

I'm so glad I never got hooked on that stuff. I can't even imagine what withdrawl would feel like. Not to mention what you just mentioned about all the money it wastes.

In my stand bag:
909D3 with 10.5 degrees of loft and a 45 inch Fujikura Rombax 6Z08, x-flex
909F3 15* with a stock Diamana Blue
FT 18* with an Aldila NV
X-forged ('07), 3-PW with Project X 6.0 CG12, 53/11, and 58* with DSG Red X2, 33"All with Lamkin Crossline Full Cord. (except the putter of...

Day 40 and 19 without the patch. Working out as well. Never felt so good in my life.
What's In The Bag?

• 3 weeks later...
Just a quick update: Day 55 and day 34 without the patch. Feeling amazing!!!!
What's In The Bag?

Great job!!!

Day 35 for me

Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Day 14 for me.
I chew probably 2-3 pieces of 4mg nicorette daily though.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I never understood the 'allure'. It smells bad, it destroys your lungs and other organs, causes heart problems.

I see smokers on the course, coughing and hacking. I played with one once, who had to rent a cart after the turn to finish the round.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I have stopped by sucking on some snus. I guess it's just trading one bad habit for another, but at least I can breathe again.

Good luck!
My Tools:

Taylor Made Burner Driver
F60 3 & 5 Wood
Cleveland Halo 3i Hybrid Mizuno MP57 irons 4-PW Cleveland 52 & 56 Degree Wedges Srixon ZURS Ball

• 3 weeks later...
I quit smoking on Chantix though I have tried to do cold turkey on two occasions, but of no use. I have smoked for around 5 yrs with pack a day. Thanks to chantix and the support my family provided me. It really helped me to get over my nicotine addiction and I don’t feel craving anymore. You can have all the information on chantix here http://www.chantixhome.com/ There is one thing which I would like to share and which helped me a lot initially, try having a glass of water when you feel craving the most. It a tough road but it's worth so best luck to all those who want to give up smoking.

My uncle quit and he started chewing coffee straws when he had cravings. He said it helped because it gave him some other habit to replace smoking with, it has an oral element which can be comforting, and you can get those straws all over so it was free.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Im going to be trying chantix here shortly Ill let you guys know what I think. Ive done zyban and it worked while I was taking it... but after I got done I had really bad cravings...

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

I never understood the 'allure'. It smells bad, it destroys your lungs and other organs, causes heart problems.

this is the opposite problem I have, I don't care to smoke anymore, I'm kinda young so it hasn't hit me hard yet. But I still run 2 miles 3 times a week and lift weights 4 times a week. Its stupid, I know. Ill be quiting soon, maybe I can run 4 miles a day :)

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

this is the opposite problem I have, I don't care to smoke anymore, I'm kinda young so it hasn't hit me hard yet. But I still run 2 miles 3 times a week and lift weights 4 times a week. Its stupid, I know. Ill be quiting soon, maybe I can run 4 miles a day :)

These guys I play basketball with they have to smoke after each game. They are around 30 years old, and they need to have a cigarettee after each game because they are coughing and can barely breathe.

These guys claim that it helps surpress the cough and it helps open up their lungs, lol.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Note: This thread is 3659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!