IGNORED

how do "you" define high, low, mid handicap golfers?

clearwaterms
Note: This thread is 2932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I posted this same question a few months back. Here is the thread. There are some very interesting responses, and one in particular that explains why the number shouldn't nessariliy be used as the sole determining factor.

I agree with this, except for the range of the low handicap golfer. I fit into the description of the low handicap, but my actual handicap number would place me into the mid range. I'd say a low handicap golfer is single digit.

/emoticons/a4_sad.gif" title="Frown"/>
Driver: ZL 10.5⁰
Fairway: Burner 15⁰/19⁰
Irons: MP-67
Wedges: 1018 52⁰/56⁰/60⁰
Putter: Byron Morgan 007xBall: Pro V1x

I certainly fall smack dab in the middle of the mid Handicapper discription. My only disagreement would be with the range. I'd say it's higher than a 5 or 6.

+1.

Sorry, but a 5 hcp plays a completely different game than a 25 hcp! A 5 is unhappy if he's not in the 70's. A 25 is likely pleased to break 100.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

By comparison, the rest of us all suck!

Hey i'm not stupid! Haha.

theincrediblegolfbum.blogspot.com Aol messenger: "Drifterland88"

Driver Tour Burner 9.5 s (Best Driver Ever!)
3-Wood Burner 07 14.5 s
3-Hybrid Halo 22degree Irons X-Forged Project 6.o Rifle s-flexGW SV 52.08 SW Tour Action 900 56.12 LW Oil Can 60.06

High = Someone I can beat

Low = Someone who beats me

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

High, mid, and low doesn't seem to cover it all. Adding two categories, maybe "rank beginner" and "scratch+" on either end would cover the spectrum better IMO.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

+1.

Agree David. I didn't even look at the top end of it. 25 is way too high. You're right in that they're two totally different games.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I posted this same question a few months back. Here is the thread. There are some very interesting responses, and one in particular that explains why the number shouldn't nessariliy be used as the sole determining factor.

This is your thread!

You just linked us to where we currently are.

This is your thread!

haha - a moderator must have merged the thread. somebody else posted a thread entitled "The handicap Caste System" and I felt that while it wasn't exactly the same question that I had asked it was similar enough, and ClamBake's response (which was quoted) was one of the best responses in the post.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

• 1 month later...

Great thread, especially clam bakes answer. I'm a high handicapper, but have improved my ball striking considerably. However, trouble off the tee on anything but an iron or hybrid has consistantly added 10 strokes a round (at least ) to my scores. So that reply spoke to me.

Another thing I'm glad to see addressed is false handicaps. I play with the same group most of the time and everyone is honest about their scores and plays by the rules. However, I recently played with someone who said they shoot a 96 or so on average. So, I figured we were about even in terms of skill. Well, I shot probably my best round ever (a 91) and he shot a 114! That's even with a few I know were left off the scorecard and could easily have been a 120. I know my game needs work and I'm constantly working on fundamentals, but I looked like I was on tour playing with this guy. I think that shows how many people completely lie about their score by teeing up another drive, play a chip over if they duffed it, etc. All you really do is make yourself look ridiculous by lying or cheating. It wasn't too long a go I averaged 108 or so. But, I never lied about it.

Personally, I just rank people with what they can break on a regular basis, and wouldn't use the terms high/low/mid etc. The higher your handicap, the less likely you are to stick to a certain score or range of scores (hence Clambake's answer being dead on.)

I'd consider anyone consistently >100 as a beginner, someone 91-100 as just "learning", someone 81-90 as average, 76-80 as good, scratch-75 as great, and anything lower and beyond as outstanding.

Not exactly words of praise, but hey, it's how I view the world around me, heh. You don't exactly get that many amazing golfers in the clubs around me, at least not ones that you'll see out on the course at the same time as you.

Oh and for whoever asked about Woods' hcap, who's post I can't find again to quote, I was reading an old copy of "How I play Golf" penned by Woods and in it was a mock-up of a hcap card that was in the region of +8.x~ if I remember right!

at the course i play at to shoot CSS i need 92 - 93 so good golfer would need to break 85 at least so it varies from course to course but i would say

single figures are low handicappers
10 - 19 are mid handicappers
above that are high handicappers

Low handicappers are single digits - up to 9 hcp
mid is 10-20
high is 21+
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

theres a thing that says like
50% break 100 consistantly
20% break 90 on a regular basis
10% break 80 on a regular basis
5% break 75 on a regular basis
1% break par ever

i dont know how accurate this is but i read it in some article
i consider anything + great, scratch-9.9 good but could be better, 10-18 average, 18+ higher, 36+ beginner

most of the golfers that shoot ilke 75-80 could be better so it really depends on the case like if there is a golfer that shoots like 80 but he is all over the course all day i consider him average but if there is a golfer who shoots 80 and has a few 3 putts but doesnt lose a ball i consider him good

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

Low handicap: + to 7
Low-mid handicap: 8-13
Mid-High Handicap: 14-19
High handicap: 20+
Driver: 10.5 Adams Speedline 9032LS with VooDoo XNV6 X-stiff
Fairway Woods: G15 4wood with Serrano 75 X-stiff
Irons: Ping i15 3-PW w/ AWT Shafts
Wedges: Spin Milled Oil Can Vokey 50deg/54deg/58deg
Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza SpiderBall: Taylormade PentaBest Score 2010 Season: 75Home...

• 4 months later...

What is your definition of a low, middle, or high handicapper? Is it just based on your number? If so, what range of handicap qualifies for each label? Is it based more on a set of skills that one holds, like the ability to shape a shot (at will) or put spin on the ball going into the green? What do you think?

btw, I consider myself a high handicapper- not only because of my number, but because I don't practice enough to be anything else.

In my C-130 bag:

Driver: G10 10.5*
3 Wood: Burner
Irons: G10 steel AWT shafts, silver dot, +1" (3-SW)Wedge: cg12 58*Putters: Squareback 2, California Coronado Low score (18 holes): 90Low score (9 holes): 42

What is your definition of a low, middle, or high handicapper? Is it just based on your number? If so, what range of handicap qualifies for each label? Is it based more on a set of skills that one holds, like the ability to shape a shot (at will) or put spin on the ball going into the green? What do you think?

The idea of a low, mid or high handicapper pertains to the use of a handicap. So, the lower the handicap, the better the player. Typically a lower handicap player will be able to shape shots, or spin the ball, but things like that individually don't make someone a low handicapper. You can spin the ball a ton and still shoot 90 if you have no short game. I just look at it from a handicap point of view but it could be any number of ranges as to what consitutes a low, mid or high handicap player.

Note: This thread is 2932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!