IGNORED

What should my take away feel like

Note: This thread is 6517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think the most difficult part of the golfswing for me is the take away. I basically have a single plane swing in which my hands only get just past ear high. Should it feel like I am dragging my hands, pushing my hands or just dead but feel the turn under of my shoulder, or something else, HELP, I AM LOSING MY MIND

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• 2 weeks later...
My best takeaways are when I think about turning the shoulders only and dragging the handle of the club. One other point that helps me, because I can get inside, is to keep the clubhead outside the hands during the first portion of the swing up to hip level. When keeping the club outside the hands make sure the club face doesn't close down.

Thinking about shoulders and club handle helps me make a nice full shoulder turn which results in the straightest and longest shots for me. This also helps for me not to shift too much weight to the right side. Compare pro backswings to amateurs and you'll notice that many amateurs shift too much weight to the right side on the back swing.

This of course is not the only difference in a pro swing compared to an amateur, but it is one difference.

Most of all be RELAXED during every swing. REALLY relaxed.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

One other point that helps me, because I can get inside, is to keep the clubhead outside the hands during the first portion of the swing up to hip level. When keeping the club outside the hands make sure the club face doesn't close down.

That's exactly what I've always been taught. When you reach hip level, the clubhead should be in a "corridor" between the hands and the ball. So, if you were to draw parallel lines along the target line (one through the hands and one through the ball) that would form your corridor. As Diggity said, make sure the clubface doesn't close on you, and also make sure not to get outside that line through the ball that forms the corridor's outside barrier.

Also, don't forget that (if you're a right-handed player) your left hand should be the dominant hand in the swing - the right hand is merely along for control. That was one of the biggest things I had to learn when I learned the fundamentals of the golf swing as it feels very awkward at first. However, once you get it down, your takeaway will be much more on-plane.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

"Also, don't forget that (if you're a right-handed player) your left hand should be the dominant hand in the swing - the right hand is merely along for control."

Fahoo, I tried this at the range last night. I like the feel of it. Hit some really nice drives with that as a swing thought.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

Fahoo, I tried this at the range last night. I like the feel of it. Hit some really nice drives with that as a swing thought.

Glad to hear it. It takes a little while to get used to, but it really does keep you on more on-line and together... more of a one-piece swing. All of my above post was taken from various lessons I've gotten from a guy here in town over the past 2 years... I'm now playing some of the best golf of my life, having cut 2 full shots off my handicap so far this year. It just took a while to finally 'click.'

In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

• 4 weeks later...
Also, don't forget that (if you're a right-handed player) your left hand should be the dominant hand in the swing - the right hand is merely along for control. That was one of the biggest things I had to learn when I learned the fundamentals of the golf swing as it feels very awkward at first. However, once you get it down, your takeaway will be much more on-plane.

I'm lucky with that one, because I write left handed but play right handed. So I always used my left hand as the power hand. Whenever I putt one-handed as well, I hold the putter in my left hand even though I'm putting right-handed. So being somewhat ambidexterous really does help my golf game.

Driver: 907 D2 10.5 - Diamana Blue 65 Shaft
3-Wood: 906 F4 15.5 - Graphite Design YS-6+ Shaft
5-Wood: 906 F4 18.5 - Diamana Blue 75 Shaft
Irons: Rac TP CB Irons; 5.0 Flighted Rifle Shafts, 1 degree flat.
Wedges: Rac TP Black 52:08; 56:12Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 - 35"B...

Note: This thread is 6517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!