IGNORED

top five golf states

Ceej
Note: This thread is 4687 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've never golfed in MI, but have in Nova Scotia - I remember lots of black flies. Is that a problem in MI?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Flog, thanks for throwing philly in there i live in the philly burbs and i have several public and private courses that are top notch people always say how great the courses in the carolinas and florida are...I have golfed in mrytle beach and florida and dont think the courses in either state are any better then the philly courses In 2004 i was lucky enough to play Sawgrass which was great but still no better then Merion right here in good old philly.. Just my 2 cents!! QUOTE=FLOG4;281910]Depending on how you define best states....ie access to privates.
1] New York
2] New Jersey
3] Penn
4] Calli
5] toss up of many
Ratings of best courses has 6 of top 10 in NY,NJ, PA ....Now FL has a great many dogtracks as does TX. But the cream of the crop is Westchester area, Philly area, Long Island and Monterey.[/QUOTE]

I've never golfed in MI, but have in Nova Scotia - I remember lots of black flies. Is that a problem in MI?

Certain times of the year in the Upper Peninsula, Rarely in the Upper Lower.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe I missed it but I am shocked that no one listed Wisconsin! Without being a member of a club you can play the kohler complex, Home of the PGA Championship and the 2020 ryder cup, Aaron Hills-in the running for the 2017 US open, Brown Deer, Which up until this year hosted a PGA event that fell victom to economy. The courses at Lawsonia in green lake, the links is listed at 57 on golf weeks top 100 pre 1960 but if you take out the private clubs it moves up to I think 6th. The Bull designed by Jack and an incredible course, a whole host of great courses in Lake Geneva that are open to public play. All of this within an hour to an hour and a half from milwaukee. I am of course bias but as far as amazing and fairly cheap golf I think its hard to beat Wisconsin. My other Fav is N.C. The downside to Wisconsin is that the weather only allows for only about 4 or 5 months of perfect conditions to play

I would have to say the top two are California and New York. And I would lean towards Cali being number one...well, because I am from here. They both have the most in the "Top 100", 11 each. New York seems to have more of the top #ed courses, but Cali seems to have more that are public. Plus, to me, they have the BEST DESTINATION area to play golf in Monterey. The Monterey area has 5 "top 100" course wich are Cypress (allways a chance to be #1), Pebble Beach (# 1 public course), Spyglass (some say is better than Pebble), Peninsula C.C., and the Preserve in Carmel. And this isn't counting Spanish Bay and Poppy Hills! And a few hours away you have Pasatiempo, and the courses at Olympic Club in San Fran. And all those course down in L.A, San Diego, and Palm Springs........ all I can say about California is WOW!

In my r7 bag:

Driver:r7 460
3 wood:r7
hybrid:burnerirons:320 serieswedges:TP Rac Z 56*, 60*putter:Circa 62 #3balls:prov1x

Just throwing it out there, but Illinois has 6 ranked in the top 100, and this doesn't even include Cog Hill!

|Callaway X460 draw-biased Driver|Taylormade Burner 3W|Adams Golf Idea A7 19° Hybrid|Adams Golf Idea Pro Gold 23° hybrid|King Cobra Baffler 29° hybrid|Taylormade Burner 6i|Adams Idea Tech A4OS 7i|Mizuno MP32 8i|Pro Select Blaze II 9i|Callaway Golf Forged Chrome 48° PW|Oncourse Target Series...

Well, there is another way you can look at it. I like rankings, and I think Golf Digest does it the best. If you look at their "Top 100" rankings, which is the best for most of us because we don't have tons of connections, the states are a bit different. It would be:
1. South Carolina with 11 of the top 100
2. California with 9
3. Michigan with 8
4. Hawaii with 7

The only thing I don't understand is how GD doesn't have any AZ courses in the top 100, thats my only beef with them.

In my r7 bag:

hybrid:burnerirons:320 serieswedges:TP Rac Z 56*, 60*putter:Circa 62 #3balls:prov1x

Well, there is another way you can look at it. I like rankings, and I think Golf Digest does it the best. If you look at their "Top 100" rankings, which is the best for most of us because we don't have tons of connections, the states are a bit different. It would be:

So what is #5 according to GD?

|Callaway X460 draw-biased Driver|Taylormade Burner 3W|Adams Golf Idea A7 19° Hybrid|Adams Golf Idea Pro Gold 23° hybrid|King Cobra Baffler 29° hybrid|Taylormade Burner 6i|Adams Idea Tech A4OS 7i|Mizuno MP32 8i|Pro Select Blaze II 9i|Callaway Golf Forged Chrome 48° PW|Oncourse Target Series...

hahaha...I didn't look that far into it. And those were public courses, the ones that us minions can play.

In my r7 bag:

Yea, I have to agree with those who say California is #1. First of all, the sheer size of California and the fact that we play golf year round should tell you there is a lot more golf to be had here than anywhere else in the country. The Monterey Peninsula alone is world class, not to mention all of the great courses in The Bay Area, Tahoe, Southern California and the desert (Palm Springs, La Quinta, Palm Desert, Indian Wells, Bermuda Dunes, etc). There are plenty of places that have notable courses, but California has probably hundreds or even thousands that are just short of the lists everyone reads. Personally, I'd put AZ 2nd, The Carolinas 3rd, Fla 4th, and then I don't know after that...

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I'm a little shocked not to see Tennessee listed from anyone... This state has some beautiful courses and an abundance of courses at that.

.........In My Bag........
Driver = FT-IQ Tour
2,3,4 = Iron/Wood = Bazooka Jmax

Putter = T.P. Mills
Irons = A4 OS..Wedges = Pure Spin..Cart Bag = .....Stand Bag = Bennington

Texas .

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

In no particular order... California, Arizona, Oregon, North Carolina, Texas.

DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

Living in South Carolina, I have a slight bias, however, my top 5 are South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, California, and don't have a fifth.

For my money......I think:

1) Texas- lots of value golf in the Houston area
2) Florida- lots of value golf in Orlando
3) Carolinas- lots of value golf in Myrtle
4) California-
5) Arizona

Note: This thread is 4687 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!