IGNORED

top five golf states

Ceej
Note: This thread is 4687 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In which areas? I know that Jack has a couple of courses along the Bear Trace, but I lived in East TN for a couple of years and didn't find too many courses that I would "write home" about.......

• 1 month later...
I've only played AL, AR, GA, FL, MS & TX, so take it FWIW. If I could had to choose only two places to ever play again, I'd go with the RTJ Trail in Alabama and the courses of the greater San Antonio area. Either of those places would make for a great week of golf.

Of the RTJ courses, I prefer those in the southern half of the state. You can stay in Montgomery, AL and have five of the RTJ facilities within a 60-75 minute drive. Two of the best facilities, Capitol Hill and Grand National, are 10 mins and 45 mins respectively.

Having lived in San Antonio for a couple of years, it's hard to beat the combination of great weather and selection of courses under $75 (twilight rates at some). You could play every day for two weeks and not play the same course twice. Some of my favorites in the SA area include The Quarry, The Golf Club of Texas, The Bandit and Pecan Valley.

Well, I can only comment on the states in which I have played, in no particular order:

Michigan
Ohio
North Carolina
South Carolina
Florida

The next three would be Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee, among others.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I have been lucky enough to have played golf in 13 different countries (US Navy) ..... and about 25 different states (OTR trucker). I rate places by course accessability, and cost. My overall favorate state for golf is Virginia where I live right now. Courses are plentiful and the rates are fairly cheap statewide. I'm a member at the Honey Bee golf course here in Virginia Beach. $125.00 a month and all the golf you can play. The winter is mild enough along the coast to golf all 12 months. We have a few cold spells every winter..... but we can pretty much play all year. I think Virginia is overlooked as far as quality courses, reasonable rates, and year round conditions.

I've played in about 1/2 the states and 17 countries...Besides the obvious (California or NC) I vote Michigan in the "small state" catagory. You can find excellent stand alone courses in any location but for the sheer volumn and quality Michigan has the "upper hand". Course the weather sucks.

and nothing overseas compares to the US, even the land of my grandfather,,sorry Scotland,,,except for whiskey and golf, thank god he left!

I play a lot of St. Louis Courses which can be real nice at times however I plan on moving to texas for golf and family reasons when I graduate school next year so Im looking forward to that.

here is a management company that has close to 10 tournament quality courses in the St. Louis area http://www.wgmgolf.com/

we also have Bellerive Country club which is private but hosted the 2004 US Senior Open... 2008 BMW Championship and is marked in 2012 to host another PGA event

However Branson and Lake of the Ozarks area of Missouri (Southwest Mo) has some of the best courses in the country. A different landscape and some high quality public courses. The branson area will become a huge tourist location in the future if they can ever get a large airport in the area.

As far as Lake of the O goes just 3 courses of the top of my head

are Payne Stewarts new course http://www.paynestewartgolfclub.com/

- John Daly has a course and also there is Ledgestone http://www.stonebridgebranson.com/ledgestone/
...Practice Can Never Make Perfect... Practice Makes Improvement...
 bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

• 2 weeks later...
AND Ohio a top state....Gimme a break. PA is twice as nice as Ohio. Just Philly is better than all of Ohio.

Go play NCR, Inverness, Scioto, Muirfield Village and Firestone and report back to us. I’ve played a lot in Ohio and Pennsylvania and Ohio is hands down superior.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

For me it's California, the Pebble Beach. It's a Dream. A must play golf course for all who love playing Golf. I had a wonderful day spent on the dream that I will never forget.

shouldn't even comment in this thread seeing I've only played in 2 states.....but I would have to say as far as a pure money making state standpoint...that South Carolina, Florida, California and Neveda (Vegas) would be right up near the top 5 Golfing States.....

Indiana is alright. Ohio is pretty damn good, especially around columbus, and cleveland. You also have Florida, Georgia (Augusta). Ive heard NY is pretty good too. And California was a amazing when I went.

Live, Breath, Golf.
My Home
FT-3 8.5* Driver
X22's
2i Hybrid 3i Hybrid 55* Wedge 60* Wedge PutterWhen Tiger puts spin on the ball, the ball does not hit the green and then spin back, the ball hits the green and the world spins forward.

Califorinia has the most diversity in their courses; you can play a desert layout, a traditional ocean links course, wetlands style course or even a mountain course all in one state. I think that gives California the nod for #1

ozone bag
putter: dianna
Driver: R9 10.5
5 wood:
3 Hybrid: TPIrons: 695MB 3-PWWedges: spin mill

I've lived in CA, AZ, and NY. Western New York has a ton of nice golf courses at reasonable prices, but they're usually useless from November-March/April, and even in the summer it rains with relative frequency. CA has oodles of courses and the best weather, but it's definitely more expensive. AZ gets hot, but not too hot for me, plenty of variety of golf courses, reasonable prices that are super low during the hotter months, and sunshine 12 months a year. I've realized that the availability and proximity of great golf courses means nothing if I can't afford to play, or simply can't play because of the weather. So CA and AZ are the top two for me, and the the next three would be whatever warm-weather, reasonably-priced golf states you want to throw in.

Indiana is alright. Ohio is pretty damn good, especially around columbus, and cleveland. You also have Florida, Georgia (Augusta). Ive heard NY is pretty good too. And California was a amazing when I went.

Southeastern Ohio / Western PA where I live is really good for golf. It might not have the nicest courses, but there are a lot of courses to play and cheap prices. I can play 3 rounds for $50 (walking of course) at most courses. The best part, due to the density of courses and smaller population, is I hardly ever have to wait for tee times or get tied up behind people. A guy I know that lives in Florida during the winter compares it to the density of courses down there, minus the amount of people.

• 3 weeks later...
I've never played in MI or Minnesota, but I heard about the flies and mosquitoes there. If that's true, how do you avoid if possible?

sun block with bug spray and cigars usually works for me.

or stay on the lake shore courses, too much wind for bugs to be an issue

• 10 months later...

OHIO!!! We have Muirfield, Camargo, The Country Club, Manakiki, Acacia, Little Mountain!! anyone?

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

I probably shouldn't comment either since I've only played in 3 states so far (MS,WI,NC), but I can't keep my mouth shut tonight.  Personally I need hills and hardwoods, flat courses don't do it for me at all, they make me want to fall asleep.  I haven't been playing long enough to scrutinize types of grass or the speed of the greens, but nature plays a big part in where I want to play. Here is idealized list (somewhat regionalized) in no particular order based on the aspects that appeal to me, what I've seen on the computer, and through word of mouth.

Wisconsin/Minnesota/Michigan: I've played wisconsin and I know Minnesota has similar scenic values therefore I assume michigan does too

Hawaii: the island pretty much sums it up by itself

Oregon/Washington: I have a friend from Washington and the pictures of the courses he's played were pure badass, I assume Oregon is similar

Alabama: I have at least two trips planned this summer to the north alabama area, friends all say its amazing

Nevada/Arizona/New Mexico: Pick one, I just really want to play a desert-canyon course some day

To be honest though, some day I hope to be able to say I have played golf in every state in the U.S.A.....I hate top fives, so limiting

I too have only played in a few states (KS, MO, NE, AL) so my list is more of where I would like to play.

1. South Carolina

2. Florida

3. North Carolina

4. Arizona

5. Hawaii

5.1. Michigan

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 4687 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!