IGNORED

Big Break Prince Edward Island

kleinrider
Note: This thread is 5393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hope one of the women knocks him off, was really rooting for the Asian chick to bump him. Definately got a complex, nothing is ever his fault. Heh. Know a few like that around here...
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He talks his game up so much that it isn't even funny...especially when he doesn't produce any shots afterwards.

"If I don't stick my shots within 5ft, I am very unhappy." He is nuts.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Enough of the Brian show, let's hear from some other contestants on the next few shows. I am waiting for the level of play to improve. I don't spray my driver as much as they do. Those drives on the first challenge were ridicules. That continued on the last challenge. Way too many people in the woods.

Kim was the other obvious person to go after "tee it high and let it fly". They were the two that looked like their game just wasn't on the level of everyone else. Everyone left now can play. They just need to show it from here out.

x18 S-4
Lob wedge
Hybore 3 wood
R7 Driver
Shark Head putter (love that old thing)

• Administrator
"If I don't stick my shots within 5ft, I am very unhappy." He is nuts.

If I don't hit a wedge to about 10 or 15 feet, I'm kind of pissed. What's wrong with what he said there?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If I don't hit a wedge to about 10 or 15 feet, I'm kind of pissed. What's wrong with what he said there?

Absolutely nothing wrong with what he said...the problem is that he hasn't shown that his game is at that level from what I have seen. I haven't watched all of the shows though. The way he talks about his game and the shots I have seen him hit are too different things.

For instance, with your handicap, I can see you saying that and having a good reason to say that. Seeing how my cousin plays, if he said something like that...I would bust out laughing. If I see that Brian can hit those shots then the comment is justified....but until then, I just think he is putting way too much pressure on himself trying to live up to the talk. I'm sure he is that good...I just want to see it.

Bryan A

No one has mentioned it, so I thought I would ask just to make sure I'm not crazy...

Was I seeing a picture of Rick Astley on the guy hosts' shirt?? Or am I way off base??

Otherwise, I'm still enjoying this show, no matter what the critics think!!

-David

underparnv

That's how I like my golf. A kick in the face. -Ben

Driver: 983E 8.5* w/ stock stiff flex shaftIrons: MP60 - 2 through 9 irons (swap out the 2 iron for my three wood at some courses)Wedges: 588 Chrome - 47* Pitching Wedge, 53* Gap Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge MP-T Black Ni - 60* Lob WedgePutter:.....

• Administrator
For instance, with your handicap, I can see you saying that and having a good reason to say that.

Right, and his handicap is WAY better than mine, so that's why I don't quite see your point. I guess I'm more likely to believe he's good enough just because I know what my limits are and how much better he is than me - I trust that without necessarily "needing" to see it.

If I see that Brian can hit those shots then the comment is justified....but until then, I just think he is putting way too much pressure on himself trying to live up to the talk.

I really think the pressure as well as "warm up, wait 45 minutes, now hit a shot that matters" can really screw with everyone. I wouldn't expect to hit a wedge to 10 feet if I haven't hit a ball in 45 minutes and I've just been standing around. Never mind whatever pressure they're feeling.

I'm sure he is that good...I just want to see it.

We agree on that. I like to see good golf, but the occasional train wreck isn't so bad either. :)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Kim>Brian

much better to look at...

don't know if its worth watching now.... if they kick off blair... then GG...

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

I'll echo everyone's sentiment, Brian talks a big game, but has yet to prove it. Kim, sad to see her go, she was easy on the eyes but the nerves got to her. I think the underlying theme of Big Break is that the challenges are tougher than actual competition. I also think that setting up the shots is akin to waiting on the tee box for the fairway to clear or the group in front to get off the greens, there's just too much dead time while the crew gets everything into position.

I'm sure you guys caught this, but whenever they do guy vs girl, the girls obviously hits from a forward tee. This requires the entire group to move from the back tee to the front tee and reposition cameras, etc. They must have the guys tee off first and then show the women teeing off. The rest is editing.

I remember the first episode when it showed that Brian and Derek were accomplished players, I was hoping for one of them to dominate the show but it was all talk and all hype. I think the Golf Channel makes them say things that only they think in their heads. I hate it when they say snippets of how good they are, how much they practice and then when you see them step up to the shot only to push the driver into the trees. That's all Golf Channel. It might make for good TV, but it sure doesn't make them look humble.

I know some people here like Gerina, and I like her too, but whenever she's in the "confession" room, it looks like one eye is crossed, but that's just me. Either way, she pounds the driver!

Now that Kim is out, I'll have to root for Caroline.

909 D2, 9.5 with Matrix Ozik XCon 5
909 F2, 15.5 3W with Matrix Ozik Xcon 5
909 H, 19 & 24 with stock Aldila Voodoo S
AP2, 5-PW with Project X 5.5
CG10, 52 gap wedge CG10, 56 sand wedge Spin Milled, 60 lob wedge Newport 2.5

Right, and his handicap is WAY better than mine, so that's why I don't quite see your point. I guess I'm more likely to believe he's good enough just because I know what my limits are and how much better he is than me - I trust that without necessarily "needing" to see it.

I guess I have a different mentality. I was using your handicap as an example. If an unknown guy plays with me at my course and says "If my driver doesn't go 300+, then I get really pissed." Okay, I can believe that....now show me. If you can produce results that match your talk then I can't believe you. It would be totally different if the guy didn't talk his game up so much. If you are going to get on national tv and talk about how good your game is, then you need to be able to back it up.

So, until I see him stick his wedges 5ft(much closer than than the 10-15ft that you say you expect) then I can't believe that he does it all of the time. He reminds me of my buddy that says he shoots 72 or 73 every time I talk with him, but when we play he never breaks 80...more like high 80. And to be honest, he hasn't looked that good so far. The other guys on the show look leaps and bounds better than him....he looks like some of the guys I play with to be honest.

Bryan A

I'm sure you guys caught this, but whenever they do guy vs girl, the girls obviously hits from a forward tee. This requires the entire group to move from the back tee to the front tee and reposition cameras, etc. They must have the guys tee off first and then show the women teeing off. The rest is editing.

Good point. And I've wondered about that, looking forward to the rest of the show. If it's actual competition and the girl has the honor, I hope they play it out that way instead of the more convenient back to front filming. I'm sure a male vs. female finale would be legit along those lines but I wonder about earlier. So far it's obviously been pasted.

Also, I wonder about the distances they are using. It looks too friendly to the women to me. Like last week, as a gambler I would have instantly bet on Brenda vs. Football when I noticed the gap on the par 3s, roughly 30 yards every time. That's too much, given this caliber. And last night decent drives by Kim stuck her smack in front of the pond with a significant edge on the fourth elimination hole. It was more or less a technicality that she botched it. On par 5s and long par 4s I understand using the standard course setup but there should be a bit of sensible handicapping and adjustment on the short par 4s and mid length par 3s. Otherwise, advantage gals. Anyway, I've come around on Brian. It's fascinating inner turmoil but nothing is aimed at other competitors, unlike previous Big Break villains. Right now this show is carried by chatty Brenda and scattergun Brian, plus the flimsy and questionable soap opera aspect of Nicole/Derek, which may not have staying power if Nicole finds herself in an elimination challenge and asked to complete holes. Last night I was rooting hard for Brian, simply to maintain the most intriguing theme. I hope he's around for the duration. After Brian's gone what are we relying on, nice guy qualities from Eugene or yes-sir, no-sir military regimen from Aaron? Snooze. The other women tend to blend in also, when they aren't hitting. Very clappy bench. IMO, this show needed one more strong personality as a backup. But maybe someone will emerge, like Sophie at Ka'anapali. She was all but unseen and apparently harmless in the early episodes. At the end she was taunting Christina by failing to replace the pin.

No one has mentioned it, so I thought I would ask just to make sure I'm not crazy...

Was that Rick Astley? I was pretty sure it was Prince, circa 1986, on Rymer's sweater.

I'm liking this season so far...the personalities aren't as big, but the overall level of play seems to be up from the last few seasons. Aaron and Brenda are my favorites (gotta love her accent), but Brian really cracks me up.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I'm liking this season so far...the personalities aren't as big, but the overall level of play seems to be up from the last few seasons.

Yes, I noticed that too.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Ever since big break Mesquite this show has gone downhill!!
Driver Tit 907D2 9.5 aldila spec grid 67s
HybidTit 585H 19* s flex
IronsTit 775cb 3-pw
WedgesTit vokey 52* 56* 60*
Putter Rife Barbados 35" winn mid pistol gripGolfballBridgestone B330-s/taylormade tp black/titleist prov1x

• Administrator
I'm still trying to figure out why all the guys hit driver on a 370-yard hole. Is that the one where they were all in the trees, too?

I'm still trying to figure out why all the guys hit driver on a 370-yard hole. Is that the one where they were all in the trees, too?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Why risk that on a 370 yard hole?

Bryan A

Agreed, the men had absurd strategy on the third elimination hole, particularly Derek who already had 6 points and basically could clinch safety with only 2 more. He should have prioritized the fairway.

Gad, Brian's interview with Golfgal is seemingly a self-determined path to reassert jerk status. There's an edgy tone throughout. Warning: only professionals can understand Big Break.

http://www.golfgal-blog.com/

He criticizes the course, uses (mild) profanity twice, imitates Aaron's voice while clearly annoyed that Aaron doubted his driving distance, and treats us to typical Brian-speak, that he has "intimidating length" and is a "superior supreme athlete, period."

I guess I have a different mentality. I was using your handicap as an example. If an unknown guy plays with me at my course and says "If my driver doesn't go 300+, then I get really pissed." Okay, I can believe that....now show me. If you can produce results that match your talk then I can't believe you. It would be totally different if the guy didn't talk his game up so much. If you are going to get on national tv and talk about how good your game is, then you need to be able to back it up.

I completely agree. I was waiting for him to show a glimpse of this talent he keeps tooting the horn about. I personally can't stand people who talk about their game but constantly struggle to prove it. I think Brian needs to walk the walk and stop trying to talk the talk.

I was extremely surprised at this as well. I would expect that from me, but not from professionals. The only thing I can think of is that there was some reason that made driver the better play maybe a bunker strategically placed or something. Unfortunately the show didn't provide any evidence. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Note: This thread is 5393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!