IGNORED

Big Break Prince Edward Island

kleinrider
Note: This thread is 5375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm still trying to figure out why all the guys hit driver on a 370-yard hole. Is that the one where they were all in the trees, too?

Yes, I was wondering about the yardage of these holes. Most of the guy's were hitting hybrids and irons off the tee until the hole you mentioned they all hit driver and did some spraying into the woods(Not Very Impressive). When was this show tapped? It appears to be a bit chilly there which would obviously reduce they're driving distance, but man if they aren't playing par-4 holes at least 425 yards or greater they are kind of wasting thier time as far as realistically playing Pro Golf!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some people here like Gerina, and I like her too, but whenever she's in the "confession" room, it looks like one eye is crossed, but that's just me. Either way, she pounds the driver!

HAHAHAHAHAH I noticed that!!! I just wasn't a big enough dick to point it out...

lol j/k if they start playing some golf then I'll like this season because i'm not sure wtf some of them are doing now.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

Agreed, the men had absurd strategy on the third elimination hole, particularly Derek who already had 6 points and basically could clinch safety with only 2 more. He should have prioritized the fairway.

Awsi, you are right. But don't you think it is strange, that as much as Brian really peeves many viewers off, the other contestants go out of their way to build him up. This is a new one for me on a BB. Most times, when a contestant is considered a "problem child", the rest of the contestants gang up on him or her. That was certainly the case with Kaanapali and BB X, but not this time. They may chuckle at him, but I think they genuinely like him. What's with that???? Gayle

Golfgal
www.golfgal-blog.com

Yes, I was wondering about the yardage of these holes. Most of the guy's were hitting hybrids and irons off the tee until the hole you mentioned they all hit driver and did some spraying into the woods(Not Very Impressive). When was this show tapped? It appears to be a bit chilly there which would obviously reduce they're driving distance, but man if they aren't playing par-4 holes at least 425 yards or greater they are kind of wasting thier time as far as realistically playing Pro Golf!

It was Sept 2008 and yes it can be chilly - I expect in the mid 40's. I know they had frost delays on some days while taping.

I took at look at the score card for Rodd Mill River and for those holes, it seems that the yardages (for the men) were: 12: 363 15: 423 16: 355 18: 405 Now this may not be exact as I didn't write down each yardage posted on TV, but I know I got 12 right in my notes and according to their score card online, that was from the yellow tees (1 short of the tips). Gayle

Golfgal
www.golfgal-blog.com

HAHAHAHAHAH I noticed that!!! I just wasn't a big enough dick to point it out...

Haha, I was waiting to see if someone was going to mention that about her. I will say that some of the girls look better with their hats on than without. You could say the same about the guys too, such as Furyk and Cink.

Anyway, enough of the juvenile talk. I think Gerina is solid like Kim Welch from BB: Ka'anapali, doesn't let a whole lot rattle her.

909 D2, 9.5 with Matrix Ozik XCon 5
909 F2, 15.5 3W with Matrix Ozik Xcon 5
909 H, 19 & 24 with stock Aldila Voodoo S
AP2, 5-PW with Project X 5.5
CG10, 52 gap wedge CG10, 56 sand wedge Spin Milled, 60 lob wedge Newport 2.5

Agreed, the men had absurd strategy on the third elimination hole, particularly Derek who already had 6 points and basically could clinch safety with only 2 more. He should have prioritized the fairway.

I just listened to the Brian interview and at the beginning I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt simply because of his injuries and his comments from his week 2 interview about the editing by Golf Channel. However, during the interview I couldn't help but think that this guy is an excuse making jerk. Didn't seem like Gayle could get a question in edge-wise too. Whatever, I am not a pro so I cannot obviously relate to his game at all (umm, yeah). And his quasi-comparisons to Tiger Woods had me wondering too. Maybe a good dose of humility would help here too.

In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

I have watched this show every season since the beginning. Always enjoy it, although I wish they would get back to having a few less accomplished players like they did in the first couple of seasons. Nearly everyone is a mini-tour player.

As far as this year's contestants... I didn't like Derek to begin with (seemed very arrogant) but as the show progresses he seems a little more down to earth and humble. His resume speaks volumes for what he is capable of and I think he is being honest about just not being there so far on the show.

Before the show started, I was reading the player bios and was kind of in Brian's corner. It seems he has gone through a lot (medically) and he is actually one of the less experienced on the show. However, he is ridiculously cocky and has not backed it up so far. I can't understand how he can keep saying how great he is while playing so poorly.

I like the marine. Seems genuine and has some skill. That hook shot from the trees was nuts!

Eugene is growing on me. He seems pretty down to earth.

Don't really have a favorite girl. I think Gerina is probably the top of the list. Blair is showing that she has talent along with looks. Kim deserved to go, she looked the weakest throughout. The Irish girl is pretty funny, would like to see her stick around a while.

Looking forward to each episode.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

Agreed about Brenda, the Irish girl. now that Football is gone, she seems to have the most flair and good commentary.

I think Brian may just be a talker who is trying to convince himself that he is good. I don't have any problem with someone working on that mental aspect of your game but I get the feeling that Brian is trying too hard.
In my bag:
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Awsi, you are right. But don't you think it is strange, that as much as Brian really peeves many viewers off, the other contestants go out of their way to build him up. This is a new one for me on a BB. Most times, when a contestant is considered a "problem child", the rest of the contestants gang up on him or her. That was certainly the case with Kaanapali and BB X, but not this time. They may chuckle at him, but I think they genuinely like him.

Good points, Gayle. That's why we need the full real time confessionals from September 2008, the ones Golf Channel.com refuses to post this time. Who knows what was said about Brian at that point, or what he said himself? Your interviews are great but we don't have everyone participating. Plus, 8 months removed there can be a natural softening, particularly if Brian stayed in touch and became a friend.

Like everyone else, I didn't know a thing about Brian prior to the series. I was repulsed by his over the top comments in the opener. But once I realized he was directing everything at himself, and not condemning the other contestants, I became amused and fascinated. I can't remember anyone who routinely uses such laudatory summations of himself and his abilities, for no apparent reason. His attitude toward Aaron's in this week's interview shoved me the other way. Mention it once, fine. Talk about your 30 pound weight loss at the time of filming. But imitating Aaron's voice and using profanity and harping on the driver distance topic was unnecessary and crude. But after considering it, I'm willing to give Brian a semi-pass. Brian is not a big guy. No doubt he's always been defensive in terms of strength and distance. If what he says is true, we're not looking at his typical frame. And so far Big Break has not mentioned that. Stina and Charlie have not emphasized an illness and significant weight loss. Brian is no doubt fuming it has not been a topic. Keep in mind we're weighing Brian in relation to other PEI contestants. I don't think he's managed a fraction of viewer dislike compared to Lori or Dave, if we have to specify recent names. I remember the message board comments regarding those two and this is comparatively a balloon ride. There isn't a single thread on the Golf Channel.com Discussion Board calling out Brian by name. Lori and Dave earned many. Have you seen the Sneak Peek video for episode 4? It's a good indication what you say is true, the other contestants seem to genuinely like him, partially due to the over the top persistence. Derek puts his arm around Brian on the bench and the other contestants laugh, and Brian smiles himself, after a typical Brian summation of his bad shot, "Swung too hard and hit it pure." http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-v...26000&rsec;=298

Good points, Gayle. That's why we need the full real time confessionals from September 2008, the ones Golf Channel.com refuses to post this time. Who knows what was said about Brian at that point, or what he said himself? Your interviews are great but we don't have everyone participating. Plus, 8 months removed there can be a natural softening, particularly if Brian stayed in touch and became a friend.

I just watched that preview and Brian is still living up to his reputation so far saying that he is a better shot maker and bunker player and then of course, doesn't perform. He can't be a bad guy as the other folks seem to have some laughs with him, so I think Awsi and Gayle's assessments may be on.

In my bag:

If Brian is on the show much longer I'm going to have my thumb over the mute button at all times.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick."
- Teddy Roosevelt

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They do make him very hard to like. The thing I hate is, when you got a guy like Brian, who doesn't shut up, its easy to get 10-15 minutes footage of the guy that makes him look like an *******. Is it as constant as we see? Im sure he really is a very good player.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

He criticizes the course,

Well, ill tell ya, it really is a wonderful course, beautiful fairways and greens. But I have to agree with him. But PEI has FAR better courses for a show like Big Break. The Links at Crowbush Cove, Dundarave and Brudenell River are far better courses. I've played the 3 of them, and also played Mill River. I dont understand their choice.

The Links at Crowbush Cove is the most wonderful, and most challenging course I have ever played. And Dundarave is simply spectacular. Mill River not so much. More of a forgiving, family feel of course. http://www.golflinkspei.com/golf/proto/golflinkspei/ If anyone is looking for a very decently priced summer golf vacation, I suggest you check out PEI. You can play some of the top rated courses in the world for very little with the packages they have.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Well, ill tell ya, it really is a wonderful course, beautiful fairways and greens. But I have to agree with him. But PEI has FAR better courses for a show like Big Break. The Links at Crowbush Cove, Dundarave and Brudenell River are far better courses. I've played the 3 of them, and also played Mill River. I dont understand their choice.

Thanks for the summary of the courses. I've been to PEI twice but I don't think I played golf. Don't know how I managed that. I think I had lunch at one club but did not play. Mostly I remember scenic drives around the coast of the island, and stopping at lighthouses.

In terms of how he's viewed by the other players, or at least one of them, it will be interesting next week to see how quickly Brian is picked. Apparently the contestants will be split into two teams with captains filling out their roster. Right now I don't understand how that jives with 9 players remaining. Maybe one person quickly earns immunity in an early challenge. *** BTW, on another golf site someone posted Twitter links of golf pros, including a few former Big Breakers. I sampled them quickly and Tina Miller of Ka'anapali won't be playing tour golf anytime soon. She is a newlywed, and pregnant.

Its too bad we can see them playing actual golf, 18 holes, that would be awesome, then we'd get a feel for how they play.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

BTW, on another golf site someone posted Twitter links of golf pros, including a few former Big Breakers. I sampled them quickly and Tina Miller of Ka'anapali won't be playing tour golf anytime soon. She is a newlywed, and pregnant.

Any chance you can post those links?

In my bag:

Either the pressure is unbarable or these guys are terrible. I have seen some awful shots for these so called pros. But who knows. Plus someone has got to go kung fu on brain because he is driving me nuts.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Note: This thread is 5375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!