IGNORED

Big Break Prince Edward Island

kleinrider
Note: This thread is 5396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This show is interesting....but it has gotten VERY stale to me. Hit shots in white chalk area, Brians drama.....rinse and repeat. I wish they would let the players actually PLAY GOLF....you know, 9 or 18 holes so they have a chance to get in a groove, not just get up and try to hit a certain shot. There is way too many made for TV challenge type stuff, and not near enough actual golf, IMHO.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This show is interesting....but it has gotten VERY stale to me. Hit shots in white chalk area, Brians drama.....rinse and repeat. I wish they would let the players actually PLAY GOLF....you know, 9 or 18 holes so they have a chance to get in a groove, not just get up and try to hit a certain shot. There is way too many made for TV challenge type stuff, and not near enough actual golf, IMHO.

Totaly agree.... It gets a little stale watching hit a sand wedge inside a 12' radios or lets have a long drive comp.... lets play some golf and watch brains head explode now thats good tv lol

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Totaly agree.... It gets a little stale watching hit a sand wedge inside a 12' radios or lets have a long drive comp.... lets play some golf and watch brains head explode now thats good tv lol

+1 on that. It's not just how good you can hit wedges and how far you can hammer the ball! Lets see some game/ strategy. Would make for a completely different show, IMO.

I agree, hitting shots within a radius on a green is old, and since none of them are very accurate, they all seem to spin it out of line or completely miss the green. It looks like the next episode has them breaking the panes of glass. Why can't they come up with new things to try and do? I've always been a big fan of trying to hit the ball picker at the range, why not do something like that? I now propose new Big Break ideas:
  • Hit the ball picker on a driving range or fairway
  • how well they fade or draw the ball, make the ball go around a tree or something
  • Flop shots into tubs of water or food that the loser has to consume
  • Double-Dare but make them do a golf shot
  • stroke play golf is always fun

909 D2, 9.5 with Matrix Ozik XCon 5
909 F2, 15.5 3W with Matrix Ozik Xcon 5
909 H, 19 & 24 with stock Aldila Voodoo S
AP2, 5-PW with Project X 5.5
CG10, 52 gap wedge CG10, 56 sand wedge Spin Milled, 60 lob wedge Newport 2.5

More of the same. I was glad to see Caroline go out of the 4 who are up.

I think Brian was a lot more likeable this episode. He's still the whiny kid, but I really dont hate him.

He's right too, kim is sexxxxxy.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

More of the same. I was glad to see Caroline go out of the 4 who are up.

I think Derek's comments about Brian really showed Brian in a different light tonight. You can see Brian's face (grin) after he says stuff like he said about Kim. I have heard from so many players that Brian will say stuff that you think is crazy and then he'll laugh out loud. I think we've missed the LOL parts and are just starting to see a bit of those now. I hope it continues.

I know some of the contests are getting repetitive, but I'm still amazed at how these professionals struggle under the BB pressure. Those first two bunker shots didn't look that hard (easy to say from my easy chair). Brenda said in her interview tonight that there was a ton of soft sand in them, but you'd think they would have practiced some of those shots during practice rounds and on the range. The glass breaking "race" looked like fun, but it was over too fast. I would have rather seen more of that. Next week looks like more drama - BB Ka'anapli style almost. Is that a good thing or bad?

Golfgal
www.golfgal-blog.com

Stuff from tonight:

* Derek looks half asleep in every confessional. If he's ever alert, I'll conclude he's been eliminated.

* This version has spent too much time on opening immunity challenges, propping only one player. That restricts the time devoted to elimination, which should require holing out. Once again the lame circle challenges eliminate someone.

* The team selections fell off the board logically. You could see the hurt in Nicole's face, but a process like that should always be a case of how good are you, not how good are you playing. Lousy handicappers get that wrong, focusing too much on current form. There's nothing more fragile than current form.

* Too quiet from Brian tonight. It almost looked like they opened with that Kim tidbit from the previous day since Brian didn't figure prominently otherwise. Although that one line was classic, "I have...freaky execution," or something like that.

* Derek was screwed by winning immunity and therefore not being able to break the glass.

* I don't care if I see another bunker shot. This group isn't that skilled out of the sand anyway, even if it obviously is very deep and soft. Camila and even Dave from Michigan were better from bunkers than this lot.

* Agreed, of the four in elimination I was glad Caroline was ousted. She had plenty of chances to avoid it, the bunker shot vs. Derek and the strange unhurried approach to the final glass breaking round. I wasn't worried about Gerina going home because in last week's interview with Golfgal, Gerina said she was having trouble remembering the individual episodes. That didn't sound like someone who was on the verge of departure, participating in only the first 4.

* In last week's interview, Brenda apologized for her remark to Nicole, "...you should try elimination sometime." But there was a similar comment tonight. Nicole's hair is noticeably different in next week's confessional. I hope that doesn't mean she's gone. Looks like Golf Channel wants to hint at a Nicole/Brenda skirmish.

Only got to see the first half hour of the show last night - so I was surprised to see that Caroline got eliminated. Can't wait to see the second half tonight (DVR).

OK, my Mom said she think Derrick looks like Hugh Jackman. Never noticed it before but I had to laugh at it and he actually does.

Got to see the glass break challenge which was awesome. Still cannot figure out why Caroline dawdled through it.

I agree with all the other's comments. Get the people out there playing more. Have them draw to go head to head the week that there are an even number of players. That would be a little more exciting and maybe we would get to see some of Brian's freky execution, his incredible length, and all of his other self professed golfing abilities.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Yep, It's an interesting program and a break from watching a tounament. Different and fun. Duffy

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

Seriously, at this point, a cat fight is about the only thing gonna keep me watching, lol. I'd love to see brenda beat up on that little tard Nicole.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seriously, at this point, a cat fight is about the only thing gonna keep me watching, lol. I'd love to see brenda beat up on that little tard Nicole.

What's a tard???? I like them both - Brenda is funny and Nicole is bubbly. Very different ladies, but both seem really nice when I talk to them. So I'm not picking sides. But Nicole was pretty talkative today about last night's show. I wonder if she and Brenda are "txting" each other ;) I'm surprised you don't like the show. I think it's better than some of the others (not naming any names).

Golfgal
www.golfgal-blog.com

a tard is a wierdo...

I like the idea of the show, I hate the execution. If their was a little bit of actual golf in it, and not just practice shots into circles, i'd be a little happier with it.

This is the first Big Break i've watched, so I really have no others to judge from, I just feel its a little too gimmicky and repetitive.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

a tard is a wierdo...

LOL! If you think Nicole is a wierdo, I hope you and I never meet. I can only imagine what you'd think of me. haha...

I understand your point, however, about the circles. I too am getting a little tired of those. I think more glass breaking and less circles would have been good last night. Mike from BB X made a good point in his interview. He said he thought they should have to putt more, especially in elminination challenges - take it right to the cup. Then it would be more like real golf. I tend to agree with him. Maybe they should make them hit a bizarre shot like Tiger did on the weekend - put a ball in a place where they have to hit it with a club upside down and opposite handed. Most would say that was crazy and gimmicky, but Tiger just did that on the weekend, so that's "real golf" :) They could call it the "impossible shot" and see how the different players handle it.

Golfgal
www.golfgal-blog.com

Mike from BB X made a good point in his interview. He said he thought they should have to putt more, especially in elminination challenges - take it right to the cup. Then it would be more like real golf. I tend to agree with him.

Definitely agree. I've posted that repeatedly. I can always tell if I'm going to be frustrated by a Big Break episode if they head to elimination and based on the time remaining in the hour they will not be holing out. It's almost technically an elimination, not a true elimination. That's the way I look at it.

Mike and his partner Sherri were a perfect example. They were knocked out when Mike couldn't find the circle from the right rough during high wind gusts. It was maybe 180 yards, something like that. Mike's first shot barely missed short then he got confused and had high dispersion in the remainder of his shots. Then Sherri struggled with club selection, fairway wood or hybrid, and missed left, for the most part. I felt bad for them because Dave and Sally had just blown the huge edge on the par 5 a show or two earlier by 4 putting against the newlywed team, Casey and Rachel. So that demonstrated anything could happen if the flat stick were involved. But Mike and Sherri were knocked out by the circle. Along the same lines, I kept noticing at Ka'anapali that Lori was avoiding elimination but almost never faced a putt along the way. When she did have to putt, she looked shaky. Sure enough, that weakness showed up in the next to last show with all the 3 putts vs. Kim and Sophie. There absolutely should be more emphasis on putting.

I don't mind the circles at all, and testing specific skills under pressure but I agree with holing out. Make it more about being able to play all the shots with an emphasis on putting considering that an even par round in regulation would require 50% of the shots to be putts.

I am sure that with the mix of holes on any given 18 hole course, they could find ways to be tricky with tee and approach shots and make you still have to putt out.

I personally like this group of players. I think there is a good variety of skills, and they seem to genuinely like each other (from what we have seen so far). Brian keeps the entertainment factor up with his comments and Brenda's commentaries make it seem like she could have a career in announcing at some point. Imagine her and Feherty doing a broadcast. Fairly amusing.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

I have to say Derek and Brian are great for each other and the show. Derek has a great attitude and getting Brian to laugh at himself was great.

You know Brian is much more about the expectations of his own game but he is very complimentary when others hit good shots. For some reason my wife and I like the guy, despite his ridiculous comments. I would love to play with him, especially if he'd let me put a few beers in him.

Hilarious. I am pulling for him, but I think Aaron has shown the most thus far in terms of total game and mental approach.

Note: This thread is 5396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!