IGNORED

What Are You Working On?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pulled the normal irons out of the bag and took the Golden Ram TW Grinds to the range to work on making solid contact. The blades are about a half an inch shorter in length than my 690CBs, so they demand precision. I've been trying to make the shift to Stack & Tilt, and I felt pretty good about the progress I've been seeing. I tried to focus on contact and the swing positions instead of distance.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Working on the twist-away at the very start of my backswing. My golf stroke's original sin, as it were, and apparently every bit as ineradicable as the real thing.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Put the regular irons back in the bag and kept working on my Stack and Tilt swing. I think I may need to have my lofts checked. I was only hitting my seven iron a little longer than my nine iron. The trajectory of my seven looked suspiciously like that of my nine as well.
I hit a couple of shots that felt effortless and the ball simply exploded off the clubface. Some of the best shots I hit seem to feel like half swings. I really like the feeling of power that comes from swinging inside to out.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• 2 weeks later...
- Taking the divot after the ball
- Rotating my wrists more through impact and follow-through
- Stopping my backswing before going over parallel at the top

...the third one is the easiest to fix, think I've got that going on. Rotating my wrists while simultaneously hitting down on the ball is leading to a lot of hooks and pulled shots...but I'm getting there.

I'm working on alot of thing, but mostly refining my iron game and getting my putting consistent.

1) Iron Game
a. Distance - I use my irons for everything except the occasional wide open fairway, where I tentatively take out my 3 wood, close the clubface, and aim way right. Anyway I need to add a little more distance (4I - 180/185, 5I - 170/175) to start reaching more greens in regulation.
b. Consistency - My 4I and 5I are still a bit shaky, sometimes hitting a little fade, sometimes a more pronounced cut, and once in a while arrow straight. I can play with any of those, but I need to figure out which it's gonna be when I'm setting up my shots. 6I and down are pretty much straight, pushing and the occasional pull being a slight problem, probably because I stand to close to the ball (according to my pretty knowledgeable friend).

2) Putting
a. Touch - My touch has been off and on lately, and I don't really know how to correct it. I feel like I'm doing the same thing every time I putt, but sometimes I just don't know how far it's gonna roll. I know it mostly has to do with my hands, and I've tried putting gloveless, with a glove, all sorts of stuff. Time on the practice green is almost useless, because it's not a skill issue, I feel I just have the touch or I don't.
b. Short putts - I've been getting better, peaking with one round where I missed maybe one putt all day within 6 feet. I remember being so calm that day, and sometimes I just can't find that confidence out on the greens. I get nervous and just plain miss... hoping that with practice and a bit of relaxation, I'll get back to being automatic on the shorties.

In the  Strata Bag:

3 Wood:  XL

Irons: 4-5:  AP1; 6-PW:  XL

Wedges:  Tour Grind, 52°/60°

Putter:  White Hot XG #9

Balls:  Mojo

Working on being more upright at address since I was way too squatted before. Tempo, tempo, and tempo. Need to slow my tempo so that my transition at the top is not too quick.

Not to push short putts and finish through the ball. For lag putts, pick a line and concentrate solely on speed.

« Keith »

Going through Ben Hogan's book and rebuilding my whole swing according to his five fundamentals.

1) Switching from interlocking to overlapping grip.
2) Moving my right thumb across the handle so the v-notch points up at my chest. I used to always have that classic strong thumb down the middle of the grip, which I think is part of my slice problem.
3) Trying to keep elbows in tighter together at address.
4) Slight angle forward with my left foot (I'd always had both feet perpendicular to my target line).
5) Trying to concentrate on my right elbow not flying out...keeping it tucked into the body.

Amazingly, these are all things I've pretty much ignored (not been aware of) for the first 20 years of golfing!

The rules:
1.Post what you're working on, why, what you hope to accomplish, how you're doing about it, etc. -trying to keep some sembelance of my swing with my extremely limited playing time this past season. I'm working on setup, posture, & making sure i'm getting my weight through the ball. I'm going a bit left now, but plenty long & it's way better than that nasty fall away reverse C thing i had developed.
2.Post when you begin something new, take a new approach, etc.-i'm trying to stay a little more upright over the ball throughout. I had gotten pretty flat. I recorded myself taking some swings for the first time & had to laugh.
3.Don't reply to any posts unless your reply also accomplishes the two things listed above.

Working on being more upright at address since I was way too squatted before. Tempo, tempo, and tempo. Need to slow my tempo so that my transition at the top is not too quick.

Similar things for me too...I start the downswing with a pretty major head and body dip / squatting move, then have to lift up at impact or chicken wing my arms so I can hit the ball. Trying to remain a little more upright to allow for more extension.

As mentioned above I'm also focusing on the transition, trying to let gravity start the downswing instead of yanking it down from the top.

Well, I have my biggest tournament of the year coming up, and for the last 2 months, I've been trying to spend >3 hours per week on the putting green.
In the ball striking category, I'm really working on keeping my head level and not 'falling in on myself' through impact. I've had a problem all summer that has been poorly treated with lessons of randomly hitting a shot as much as 50 yards left of target. This will tend to happen once every 15 or 20 shots or so, and tends to occur between 165-200 yards.

Diablo. 10 degree, neutral. (R-Flex)
F-Speed 15.5 degree 3 Wood (R)
A70s 19 degree hybrid (R)
2009 CG-7 Tour Irons (3-PW) (R)
CG-14 52, 56, 60 degree wedges. (R)SeeMore FGP Putter (The charm of my bag) Gamer V2

Hey Guys- New to the forum (and the game for that matter).

Currently I've been focusing on not shifting my body laterally when I begin my downswing (with my driver). I didn't even realize that I did that until a pro at my local range mentioned it to me. He mentioned that the movement is what is causing my erratic driving and may also be a power leak.

If anyone has any drills that may help, I'm all ears

Hey Guys- New to the forum (and the game for that matter).

Might want to start a separate thread on this with a bit better description of this 'bad' lateral shift. Could be poor advice.

As for me, I'm really working on my hand plane and club plane this winter.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I plan on doing that once I'm out of this "newbie" status.

As for the shit, I should have clarified that it's more my upper body than my entire body (Shoulders), if that makes any sense. It's like I lean into it in order to hit harder instead of faster.

I was told that is why I'm unable to square the clubface at impact.

My follow-through is horrid.

I lunge at the ball.
I collapse the left elbow.
I loose attention and attack tempo.
I Finish by pulling my head up and having a great view of the slice that just happened.

When it goes bad, the ball hits the ground and has so much side spin that it runs to the right.

When it goes well, even I'm impressed.

My irons are ok, but right now I miss almost every fairway. I actually hit the green from 150 in most of the time, so getting a good drive will be my ticket to a 18 handicap for next season.

In my Ogio Cart Bag
Driver: 460 10.5 R7
4- S Wedge: R7 CGB Max
Putter: Afinity Cheapo Putter
Balls: I generally use them

I plan on doing that once I'm out of this "newbie" status.

Makes sense. Moving your 'upper center' forward ahead of the ball is not a good move in the golf swing, and it will likely result in an open face at impact. The hips should shift forward toward the target however. Search around the internet for various swing sequences of PGA pros. Take a look at their hits, shoulders and spine angle at impact.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instr...wing-sequences

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Working on keeping a flat left wrist, getting the hands ahead of the ball at impact, and bottoming out a little beyond the ball. Different days bring different results.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!