IGNORED

What Are You Working On?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Still, for me keys 1, 2 , 3. Even after 3 months, I still work on those keys every time I'm at the range, and I can see improvement. Now I seem to have some issues with my 3 wood, and a power leak with my driver...:doh:

What are you doing for Key1 if you don't mind me asking?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What are you doing for Key1 if you don't mind me asking?

Make mock swings with my head against a door jam, wall, mirror work. I'll go outside and make swings while watching my shadow to make sure my head doesn't move all over. With my bad back, it hard for me not to come up out of my shots, so key #1 is kinda key for me to hit decent shots, and therefore one of the most important keys for me.

I am working on two swing images rather than swing keys, i.e., I picture a full motion not a position.  Keep in mind that I tend to hook, and block my shots, with fat shots and I am not recommending this for everyone.

Back swing: getting the butt of the club pointing at the ball at the point in the backswing when by right forearm is parallel to the ground.

Forward swing: See this Tom Watson video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cntSpVbZo for working on shoulder plane.

My GIR's have soared and my scores have come back down into the 70's.

Forward swing: See this Tom Watson video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cntSpVbZo for working on shoulder plane.

My GIR's have soared and my scores have come back down into the 70's.

At 1.22 minutes of that Video he does exactly what my swing is doing by coming over the top. Hope to put it right soon

Currently my biggest focus is staying in posture. I have a bad habit of standing up in my downswing leading to all types of horrible horrible things.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Is it ok to update my own post?  For those of us who over hook, block and hit fat shots (under plane, "stuck" down swings), try these, too. This are sometimes called "better player" mistakes. (for the record, I don't claim that description)  I am still looking for Bagger Vance's holy grail, my authentic swing, the one God gave me.

For those who don't know of him check out Pete Styles' videos from the UK, samples below.

http://golf-info-guide.com/video-golf-tips/dont-get-stuck-on-the-downswing-video/

http://www.free-online-golf-tips.com/fundamental-golf-tips/golf-swing-tips/halfway-back-position/#.Uw02t_ldWSo

[As an aside to mark4britvic, thanks for the reply and the quote.  I am guessing that we have opposite problems (you, over plane in the downswing - me too far under plane) but I am very glad you found an interest in the Watson video.  If your moniker refers to the Ryder Cup, I hope your golf odyssey to a better game finds a satisfying home but go USA.  Just guessing on the Ryder Cup.  (Actually, where I am from, Louisiana USA, the Cajuns say Geaux USA - I know a colloquial corruption of the word go.)  To the good of the EU, one has to be very, very impressed with Victor Dubuisson. Maybe the next Seve, but not as flamboyant, at least not yet.]

I been working on my long putts. I develop a system based on Dave Stocktons advice to picture the greens as thirds and started picking a spot 1/3 from the hole to aim towards Also tried to see the "whole ball" when I roll This seems to be working for my long putts

• 2 weeks later...

Q.  What am I working on?

A.  I am working on early extension

Q.  Why am I working on this?

A.   Because my shots are insanely inconsistent and nothing ruins the game of golf more than hitting a perfect drive, shanking your next 2 shots, then 2 putting.

Q.  What am I doing about this?

A.  Watching many youtube videos on early extension and working on the drills they teach.  I practice simple rotations with my hands crossed over my chest and look at myself in the mirror, doing sets of 10 watching my front view, dtl view, and up-the-line view.  I then take a few slow practice swings to see if I can maintain my "butt out" posture.  I"m also looking into strengthening my core, and lower back, while increasing flexibility in my calves, hamstrings and hips.

Q.  What results do I expect when I combat early extension?

A.  I expect to stop shanking and hitting off the heel of the club.  I expect to hit more crisp shots and have a more reliable flight path.

Q.  How long do I expect to wait until I see results?

A.  Given my age and reduced flexibility, I anticipate that this will take approximately 3-6 months to hit 90% of my shots without early extension.

I like this format.

Q: What am I working on?

A. Solid, ball first contact with irons. Hit the little ball before the big ball. Turn the upper body, back turned to the target, elbows "feel" level, but the left elbow is probably above the right elbow.  Then separate the lower body motion from the upper body reaction to that.  Lower body must lead the downswing.; the upper body reacts.

Q: Why am I working on this?

A. Ball first contact is THE key to better or best golf potential. After that you can work on ball flight and club head path.

Q.  What am I doing about this?.

A .  From the top, my first move is to jut my right hip down, out towards and in front of the ball, shifting my weight diagonally from my right heel to my left toe, before the hips rotate the weight around onto my left heel.

This is slightly but importantly different than my previous image of pulling my left hip out of the way. My old method and execution put the hosel of the club more in play. Ugh. Too much from the inside, "stuck."

Q.  What results do I expect?

A. I expect to stop fats, blocks, shanking and hitting off the heel of the club.  I expect to hit more crisp shots and to have a more reliable ball flight pattern.

Q.  How long do I expect to wait until I see results?

A. I have seen immediate improvement.  My GIR's have soared from 4-6 per round to 6-12 per round. Chipping and pitching have also improved greatly.

Now for putting. I am a collector and I have a lot of toe hang options all the way from face-balanced (parallel to the ground) to toe down.  I am going to get fit and then go from there.  My goal is 30 putts a round, including "fringies" from 6' off the green on a fairway type lie.

Thoughts, anyone?

1. Consistency. More repeatable swing with ball first contact and elimination of push/slice.

2. Not sure. I want a way to swing with less to think about. I tinker too much with methods and equipment.

What am I working on? Key 3 - Weight forward at impact.

Why? To get more consistent contact on the ball.

How?

Quote:
~~Drill for this: put something (a little tripod perhaps between your knees, closer to your right knee than your left, and just towards the ball. Hit balls moving your right knee towards the target, not out towards the ball. You want to feel the right foot roll over onto the instep, the knee to bank inwards (again towards the target), and not to go out towards the ball where it'll hit the tripod or stick or whatever you've got positioned there. FWIW, here I am demonstrating this:

~http://iacas.org/asm/fimgs/golf_swing_impact_fix.jpg

Chris.:roll:

Setup: Need to stand a tad further away from the ball. Less weight back on the heels.

Backswing: Need to get the right arm to just fold and not get retracted behind the right shoulder. If the the target line is from 6 to noon, noon being towards the pin. Then I want to feel like I am taking the club back towards 4-5 o'clock. Of course not doing this literally, but getting that right arm to just bend and lift. The sensation is the club hands are heading towards that designation.

Downswing: Need to get the feeling that the left hip is firing the club through impact. Really get that left hip to fire around and UP, so the hips are open at impact, and the belt buckle is going to finish pointing towards the sky.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I am working on a reverse K set up and keeping my left shoulder lower on the takeaway. When I do this properly and then strike the ball nicely, I now see straighter, higher and a bit more distance. When I set up incorrectly and then lift my left shoulder I see nothing but chunks, shanks and low slices / fades.

Firstly nothing, waiting for my first ever evolvr analysis.

Secondly putting. Had 6 three jabs today due to missed 3 footers :doh:

Henry

Clubface control and consistently finding the sweet spot with the shaft in line (or close) with my right forearm DTL view after 9 years of having the shaft in line (or close) with my left forearm DTL view.

Growing pains: When it's right it's great and when it's wrong it's awful. Most success so far "feels" like I am swinging out to in and "feels" like I am going to hit the biggest slice in the world, but it's not even a fade. "Feels" like the practice swings Tiger takes (that I have made fun of :-O ).

Was a hard decision to change because it wasn't too bad before but I was pretty much stalled out on how much I could improve, with what I was doing, so I figured I would give it a shot.

So many hours over the winter probably put me past the point of no return now, so I better suck it up and make it work.

Working on sequencing the loading of my arms with my pivot more in the backswing and not overloading my right arm past 90 degrees.

Also need to stand a few inches closer to the ball. Last year i was told i was too close so just over done the correction a tad but only by a few inches.

Henry

Note: This thread is 3205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!