IGNORED

What Are You Working On?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Currently working on my Single axis swing which is working well, however it works better now that i have actually started to work on 5SK weight drills, especially getting my hips rotating and moving forward better. The combination of the 2 has got me hitting better than ever. I have to say thanks to @cipher to re think trying the 5SK in a previous thread, You were totally right!

I have also decided to embrace my stock shot (nice high fade) but have learnt to hit straight and slight draw with Grip/stance combo's.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Currently working on my Single axis swing which is working well, however it works better now that i have actually started to work on 5SK weight drills, especially getting my hips rotating and moving forward better. The combination of the 2 has got me hitting better than ever. I have to say thanks to @cipher for getting me to re think trying the 5SK in a previous thread, You were totally right! I have also decided to embrace my stock shot (nice high fade) but have learnt to hit straight and slight draw with Grip/stance combo's.

Good to hear. Glad I could help. :-)

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on getting myself lined up better on putts.  At home I have a 8 foot throw rug with designs.  It has a straight border line about 7 foot long.  I used that to line up and putt over a penny at the edge of the rug.  Seems like I never miss that penny close to 8 feet when I do that.  So I took some thread, something small and light enough to not affect the ball rolling, and made a straight line at the local practice green about 10 foot long.  I tie it to a couple tees, stretch it straight and put the tees in the grass.  Then I slide the tees out and it stays straight.  It really helps me line up straighter.  I find myself lining up better even without using the line.  I can make a higher percentage of putts under 10 feet than I used to.  Now I just have to worry about reading the greens.

Shortening my backswing.  I have accepted the reality I'm not John Daly and shouldn't try to swing like him.  I actually never aspired to swing like Daly but the breakdown of my right arm and club position was very Daly-like.

Surprisingly, all the extra arm movement was wasted effort as I'm now hitting the ball a bit further than I was using a much shorter backswing and my dispersion pattern is much tighter.

Joe Paradiso

Reading Lowest Score Wins. It came today. I'm reading about shot zones and decision maps. I jump around in reference books.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I'm working on externally rotating my right shoulder from p4-p6. Think Jason Dufner elbows close together, right elbow stays close to right side in downswing.

• 3 weeks later...
It's always an evolution. I can tell you something that has helped me tremendously as of late and I am starting to play my best golf of my life ball striking wise. I've simply been 1-ensuring when my flat left comes into strike the ball, the face is square by checking grip on preshot routine, 2-Always practicing using tour sticks and 3-impact labels. It's sounds rudimentary however my alignment and where I'm hitting the ball on the sweet spot has given me incredible results and shot par today. I could not be happier from those 3 little things. This obviously is after I got some wonderful plane/connectivity advice from mvmac. I'm suddenly taking my game to a new level.

up to the end of last year, contact was usually pretty good, but lateral dispersion & 2-way misses made scoring quite difficult. so, the aim of my current work is to get a move that provides tighter dispersion and ideally a 1-way miss.

coming out of hibernation, got back to the practice mat about end february, so almost a month work already - haven't really hit more than 7 iron, yet. focus is on backswing, trying to be on the right plane, getting as wide as possible and then use transition to get good right elbow/trunk connection. will then need to work on tempo and rythm, as well as get a better in-to-out club path..

so, plenty of work ahead! :(

Working on a consistent feel for initiating the downswing. I worked on my weight forward and turn a lot over the winter (slow motion, mirror work), but now am thinking a lot about the arms. My arms were getting down late resulting in either hitting the ball thin, or having my hands too far forward at impact and hitting low shots. So now I am trying to figure out what is better for me, pulling the arms down, the left shoulder, the right elbow, etc...

So I broke 90 about five weeks ago for the 1st time and have done it couple times since them; however, my scores yo-yo like crazy. I hate being inconsistent, so I decided to change my swing and my practice regiment. I used to never go to the range; I only played practice rounds. While this dramatically improved my short game, my full shots weren't very good. When I mishit a shot, I didn't have the opportunity to figure out why because I had to keep the pace of play up.

My quest is now for increased distance and better technique with my irons. No more rounds of golf for at least a month. From now on, the only place golf exists is at the grass range.

My old swing had the ability to break 90, but that's about it. I had plateaued with it. I'm hoping my new swing will have the strength to break 80. So far it's been absolutely grueling, and I go home from the range every day bitter and pissed off. My lower body turns too much on the backswing, and I'm not fast enough to get my hips turned back in time at impact. My clubhead lag is poor and I can't get my hands ahead of the ball at impact with regularity. I've been shanking a lot, and it's been very frustrating. I still have that awful head dip thing that I've been battling for six weeks now, but I've reduced it a decent amount.

So for the next several weeks or months or however long it takes, I'm going to have to have great discipline. If I do, it will pay off for the rest of my life. If I get lazy or defeated, I will just have my old swing for that much longer. No more driver, five wood, or 3-5 iron work. The focus will be solely on full shots with my sand wedge to six iron. I'll practice putting, chipping, short pitch shots, and bunker shots, but that's it. The rest of my free time will be devoted to the scoring clubs.

It was over 80 degrees here tonight, and I was almost at the point of passing out because I was hitting so many balls. I'm trying to relax before each shot and really focus, but when I get frustrated, I tend to just fire away at shots like a madman. It's wasteful and I have to stop doing that. I think that the point I've reached right now has been the most frustrating period in my golf game- even more so than the days when I was a total beginner. I expect a lot from myself, and I tend to beat myself up when things go badly. I've had two bad range sessions in a row, but I just have to suck it up and move on to the next one.

I'll let you know how it goes in a month or so. The fundamentals have been and still are my focus, but damn it is this game cruel. May 1st will be my one year anniversary with golf, although I've really only played 8-9 months if you don't count the winter when I didn't play once. I feel like I hit my driver and woods fairly well and I like my short game, but it's my iron play that really kills me. I know that once I can consistently compress the ball with my PW-3 iron I will become a very strong player. I'm no longer settling for my 100 yard PW 3/4 shots. Wish me luck. Or better yet: pray

I'm in the exact same situation as you are.  Broke 90 with an 86 like 2 months ago and broke it just once more.  Then it was back to low 90's.   I play 9 holes 3 times a week and they are mostly practice rounds in the early morning then it's maybe a full round every 15 days on weekends.  My long game has improved a bit but is at least consistent.  My iron game is shaky and I get the same feeling that it's holding me back.

I have free classes at my course, but the guy that teaches there is really old school (0 tech) and I sometimes get the feeling that he just tries to fix your swing short term instead of working out a plan for you to develop a long term consistent swing.

I'll try to invest in an instructor that develops a custom plan for me to practice at the range instead of me making up my practice plan.

Let's see how it goes.

Keep us posted with your progress!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

So I broke 90 about five weeks ago for the 1st time and have done it couple times since them; however, my scores yo-yo like crazy. I hate being inconsistent, so I decided to change my swing and my practice regiment. I used to never go to the range; I only played practice rounds. While this dramatically improved my short game, my full shots weren't very good. When I mishit a shot, I didn't have the opportunity to figure out why because I had to keep the pace of play up.

My quest is now for increased distance and better technique with my irons. No more rounds of golf for at least a month. From now on, the only place golf exists is at the grass range.

My old swing had the ability to break 90, but that's about it. I had plateaued with it. I'm hoping my new swing will have the strength to break 80. So far it's been absolutely grueling, and I go home from the range every day bitter and pissed off. My lower body turns too much on the backswing, and I'm not fast enough to get my hips turned back in time at impact. My clubhead lag is poor and I can't get my hands ahead of the ball at impact with regularity. I've been shanking a lot, and it's been very frustrating. I still have that awful head dip thing that I've been battling for six weeks now, but I've reduced it a decent amount.

So for the next several weeks or months or however long it takes, I'm going to have to have great discipline. If I do, it will pay off for the rest of my life. If I get lazy or defeated, I will just have my old swing for that much longer. No more driver, five wood, or 3-5 iron work. The focus will be solely on full shots with my sand wedge to six iron. I'll practice putting, chipping, short pitch shots, and bunker shots, but that's it. The rest of my free time will be devoted to the scoring clubs.

It was over 80 degrees here tonight, and I was almost at the point of passing out because I was hitting so many balls. I'm trying to relax before each shot and really focus, but when I get frustrated, I tend to just fire away at shots like a madman. It's wasteful and I have to stop doing that. I think that the point I've reached right now has been the most frustrating period in my golf game- even more so than the days when I was a total beginner. I expect a lot from myself, and I tend to beat myself up when things go badly. I've had two bad range sessions in a row, but I just have to suck it up and move on to the next one.

I'll let you know how it goes in a month or so. The fundamentals have been and still are my focus, but damn it is this game cruel. May 1st will be my one year anniversary with golf, although I've really only played 8-9 months if you don't count the winter when I didn't play once. I feel like I hit my driver and woods fairly well and I like my short game, but it's my iron play that really kills me. I know that once I can consistently compress the ball with my PW-3 iron I will become a very strong player. I'm no longer settling for my 100 yard PW 3/4 shots. Wish me luck. Or better yet: pray

I'm in the exact same situation as you are.  Broke 90 with an 86 like 2 months ago and broke it just once more.  Then it was back to low 90's.   I play 9 holes 3 times a week and they are mostly practice rounds in the early morning then it's maybe a full round every 15 days on weekends.  My long game has improved a bit but is at least consistent.  My iron game is shaky and I get the same feeling that it's holding me back.

I have free classes at my course, but the guy that teaches there is really old school (0 tech) and I sometimes get the feeling that he just tries to fix your swing short term instead of working out a plan for you to develop a long term consistent swing.

I'll try to invest in an instructor that develops a custom plan for me to practice at the range instead of me making up my practice plan.

Let's see how it goes.

Keep us posted with your progress!

I made that post six years ago. Yea, I've gotten a lot better. Shot 79 once from 7050 yards (74.5, 143.0 slope) a few months ago. Been a struggle since then, but yea, I'm better in general now. Still not "good," but better for sure. Thanks. Good luck to you.

Constantine

Balance, Balance and more Balance I've been swinging the club a little bit, and I've been working on having "flared feet" at address, it seems like doing this I'm more in balance than I was a season ago... 2. Tempo: I've slowed down quite a bit from what I was doing before, my transition from backswing to downswing was very violent, meaning I wasn't always completing my backswing, so I have been doing some drills to ensure I'm completing my backswing, and having a slight pause at the top... 3: Alignment: I wasn't way off with my alignment but a few degrees makes a difference... I've noticed when I hit a push, it's mostly because, I have my lines crossed, so I have been working on making sure my shoulders are more parallel to the target... 4) Posture: Since my accident, this has been a tough one, it seems like I either was standing too close or too far away. So I've been doing this drill where I hold the club out in front of me, then placing my upper arms to my chest, and letting the club's weight drop, then bending at the waist till the club reaches the ground, then I soften my knees, it really seems to work, I'm in great position every time I hit the ball, and feel like I'm going to stripe it every time.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!