IGNORED

What Are You Working On?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Posted my first evolvr vids on Saturday, so I'll find out what I'm working on soon.  Installed net and mat in backyard to allow easier practice (read as no excuse no to!).  :)

So, keys 1,2,3 are apparently good.  Upon reviewing my own video, it's not that bad.  Evolvr instructor (Brian) wants me to work on more set in the wrists on the way back.  I have almost none.  :(

@iacas , @mvmac any good drills or visuals for this?  I'm not getting it the way he explained it, though I tried and I and able to get the wrists hinged and set, but I look laid off still..  ???

Thanks

I'm trying to work on 2 things right now..

1.  Turning 3 or 4 shots around the green into 2 shots... mostly getting better at chipping.  I'm trying to hit at least 100 chips and pitches per day and I've discovered my main flaw is when I'm under pressure my body stops turning and I get handsy.

2.  Keeping the ball in play off of the tee.  Most of my big scores start with a bad drive into trouble and I'm trying to control my "big miss" which is a pull hook.  working a lot on alignment and have discovered I play my driver way too far back.

Of course, always looking to improve putting and thinking about changing to a face balanced mallet style putter.

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What am I working on? Well thanks to Evolvr and Brian that is easy to answer: A, you need to stand farther away from the ball to the point that you can get your elbows fairly close together. B, get the shaft more neutral (less leaning forward) and get the clubface less closed.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

My driver went mental in the last two weeks.  My 70% FIR for the month went down to 60%.  Worse yet, the misses have been grounders, and shanks to OB areas.   I could not figure out what went suddenly wrong.  I panic'd and went to range for a large bucket and hit drive after drive.   I finally figured out what I was doing wrong.   As I did many times before, I wasn't turning by upper body (shoulder, hip) enough.   I will be practicing hitting drives more going forward.

This issue with driver is fixed.  Back to hitting high 60% FIR.  Complete the back swing and I am good.

Will be focusing more on chipping, pitching (40 - 70 yards), and putting to tighten my short game.

Short game is now "tightened."   Back to working more on swing fundamentals and working on knockdown shots.   Had a good range session yesterday -  was more accurate with knockdown shots than normal ones.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 5 weeks later...

Short game is now "tightened."   Back to working more on swing fundamentals and working on knockdown shots.   Had a good range session yesterday -  was more accurate with knockdown shots than normal ones.

Keep working on knockdown shots.  Need to fine tune accuracy and distance.

Renewed focusing on bunker shots.

Working on anti-flipping, back of left hand facing target at impact.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Main concern (as always): Getting to 50% or higher with 'up and downs' and keeping three-putts out of my rounds

-This pretty much just takes time. I don't use too many specific drills for this besides spending a few hours per week on the chipping/putting green slaving away at up and downs and lag putts. This is mostly about getting a good feel for the greens and building confidence with the short clubs for me.

Secondly: Getting consistent off the tee

-I usually start with wedges and work my way up to the driver to get warmed up. Then, I play with my stance, grip, and posture until I feel I am hitting straight and shaping shots the way I want.

-I then take my wedges out again and alternate shots between 100-150 yard clubs and the driver/3-w/3i in order to avoid giving too much attention to one club and develop bad habits.

-I try to keep lifelike scenarios in mind when playing shots at the range- envisioning holes where a fade, draw, layup, or carry is necessary. Also, I always pick a side of my imaginary fairway that would be my hazard zone while the other is a bailout area. If there is neither, I pick a 3-w or 3i and focus on hitting a controlled straight shot.

Finally, mental awareness:

-Developing a consistent pro/post shot routine for putting as well as other shots.

-Making sure to not overthink easy shots

-Keeping head and shoulders level on impact to avoid my snap-hook miss shot that I sometimes have

-Also working on my "playing well while playing bad" mindset

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

I have no idea where to start. We spent a week in Myrtle Beach at the end of April, half of that time refreshing in golf school. I came out of that playing my best overall in years and after playing every day I returned and hit the ground running, showing up at the club nearly every day, either at the range, on the course or both. After about two weeks I went back to inconsistent play, but in a way I cannot understand. Last year my driver was my most consistent tool and that had never been the case. I transitioned out of a Nike VRS through a Ping G30 and finally on to a G30 SF TEC. Once again my driver had become my most trusted friend until the last couple of rounds, in which an ugly looking pull has developed. My hybrids have always been solid, in many cases saving me from times when the driver was not my best friend. Now my hybrid striking is so bad unless there is a tee involved I do not even bother. My irons are a totally different story. When my hybrids were rock solid my iron striking was really bad. Now it is reversed as I am hitting the irons well and reach for my 5 instead of a hybrid on par 5s. A few months ago I would not have even carried a 5. Last fall most of my approach shots landed on the green. Now I cannot hit a barn from 125 in. My short game around the green has always been lacking. This past week I discarded my 60 degree  in favor of a 58 degree. On Thursday, using that club I saved par on three holes by hitting it close with that club. With the 6, 7 & 8 shots are nearly always straight, sometimes a nagging pull spoils a good strike, but contact is not always solid. At times I hit high, soft towering shots with mid irons and sometimes I do not get all of it and the shot comes up short. The only club that remains solid and dependable round in and out is the 12 degree TaylorMade Mini Driver that I use when driver is too long or when I lack confidence in the G30. Every round it seems like some of my game is spot on and other parts fail. The shots that give me fits are rarely the same from one round to the next. I cannot afford a full time golf coach so I have no idea what to do. The rain here has slowed me down the past couple of weeks, but I have spent so much time out there this year I have the darkest tan of my adult life. Not sure what comes next.

Going to the range tonight. I'm shooting better than I have all summer but still missing some greens and fairways. Gonna work on some controlled high iron shots and then switch to low iron shot shapes. Probably finish up with some driver/3-w drills to hone in my cut shot that's been working lately. Finally I'm going to try to get some more up and down practice in to make sure my short game stays hot after last round.

In the bag:

Keep working on knockdown shots.  Need to fine tune accuracy and distance.

Renewed focusing on bunker shots.

Working on anti-flipping, back of left hand facing target at impact.

Added a couple of chicken wing prevention drills.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Went to the range tonight and had a chill session with a buddy. Worked on the long iron shot shapes and locked in the baby fade with the 3-5 irons and managed to hit the 200 marker green consistently with different shot shapes. Went to the putting green after and got up and down with about 75% of my practice balls, so all in all, today was a good day (didn't even have to use my a-k). Tomorrow will be the first round in over 3 years that I've played with my mother so I'm hoping to be able to bring the shots I was hitting tonight along with me.

In the bag:

Working on my hip turn. Played the last two rounds without my dreaded shank, shot 78 and then 77 in consecutive rounds. Hitting the ball much more solid.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Working on my drive. I am pretty satisfied with my pitching chipping and putting game. Just looking to knock a few strokes off my game with better drives which would in turn give me better position for my second shot.

I'm working on switching back to an old set of clubs (Ram FX Pro Set forged combo irons) from a new set (Callaway Razr X HL irons and hybrids).  The new clubs were left to me by my father-in-law when he passed and I really liked them at first.  I got to the point I was nuking the new irons ridiculous distances and was needing to add several more wedges to gap shots inside of 130 yards.  I also developed a pronounced hook from the offset.  Switched back to my old set of irons and have much more consistent distances and gaps with no hook.  I can control trajectory better too.  I always end up back at these or my Golden Ram Tour Grind Frequency Matched irons.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

Just starting to switch from playing right handed to left handed. I need to do this to give my right wrist a rest due to previous injury. Plus it's a doctor's recommendation if I want to continues playing this game.  Having fun with it. I am still putting right handed, but working on my chips and pitches left handed. Once I get those working well, I will move to longer approach shots.

I played my first 18 holes left handed the other day and as expected I did not break 100. Going again next Tuesday. In between those left handed days, I am still playing right handed. I can see myself doing a little mix, and match until I make the complete change over.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Ball striking has been giving me fits. Just seemed to leave me. However, I just stumbled onto a swing thought that has me striking the ball better than any time this year. On page five of this month's issue of Golf Tips, there is a one page article on ball striking called "Nail Your Impact". The author suggests imagining a golf ball with a nail through the center, pointing down at a 45 degree angle. The article shows a photo of same. Imagine you are trying to "hammer" the nail into the ground. Obviously, you could not swing in an upward motion and drive the nail. You would have to hit down, trapping the ball in order to do it. I took that image to the course today and the results were amazing. Just what I needed. On the second hole I hit a perfect five iron shot and I never even reach for my five. This could very well save my season. I hope it helps someone else.

1. Post what you're working on, why, what you hope to accomplish, how you're doing about it, etc.

I've got a few things i'm trying to get under my belt, some i may have already. I am working to keep my back and shoulders straighter. I've been going to the doctor for my scoliosis treatment which has turned my game full chance to wind. Moreover I haven't lost my backswing or my slapshot due to disease.

Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!