IGNORED

JD set to make return....

Three Putt
Note: This thread is 5451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You do know you have to eat healthy and exercise every single day after having this surgery correct? So, if you put 1 and 1 together, eating healthy and exercising, he is losing the weight on his own. The surgery just helps speed up the process. I continue to forget how many people on this forum are perfect and don't deal with real life situations.

It speeds up the process by limiting the amount he can eat which is something he couldn't do. That is what I'm referring to concerning his lack of willpower. John Daly has not been over weight his entire life like many that have this procedure. He was a fairly slim guy when he won the PGA in the early 90's. Some people have no other choice but to go with this procedure and it is a blessing for those. But unless Daly has some medical reason why he can't lose weight, this was unnecessary.

So what real life situation have you dealt with lately?

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love his new garb, from a company called Loud Mouth Golf. www.loudmouthgolf.com

They are pretty wild, but it is a good look for long John. Hope he plays well and keeps the weight off!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

I continue to forget how many people on this forum are perfect and don't deal with real life situations.

So, what does this mean? Does this mean that somehow my everyday life where I go to work, keep it together, and don't continuously shoot myself in the foot like John Daly does......isn't real? Are real life situations where you make millions and millions of dollars, gamble and drink it away, marry a drug dealer, punch out hotel room walls, and try to make a comeback wearing oversized Ian Poulter clothing?

C-mon dude, give me a break. He isn't dealing with "real life situations". He's dealing with the fact that he's continually pizzed away his fantasy land life. He's made a lot of bad choices, and keeps getting second, third, fourth chances. No sympathy here. He might be a nice guy, but that only gets you so far. Good luck to him. But I think the ending of this story is easy to predict.

One could easily say 'Typical Yank' when describing the 'Fan-of-Daly'.

Great question....glad you asked.

I'd love to extend some Southern Redneck hospitality to you if ever given the chance. Who knows....you may even enjoy it. I'm sure I would. Back to the original post....Daly has some serious demons to beat before he can be much of a threat on the course. Who knows, he probably competed at a high level while drunk....he may do so again. For his own benefit, though, I hope he cleans up. I can identify with John....as a golfer....as a person.....as a sinner. I'd rather identifiy with him in the future....as just another father who is now living a better life and seeing the rewards of doing so.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Many people and fans of JD were thinking just 6 months ago he was close to going down the drain, perhaps for good.

Looks like he has made a genuine effort to better himself by losing weight for his healths sake, one small step leads to others.

He has my support...keep it up!

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

• Administrator
Looks like he has made a genuine effort to better himself by losing weight for his healths sake, one small step leads to others.

Be honest though: he had surgery to make his stomach smaller. He didn't put in any effort to lose weight, and an incredibly high percentage of people who have that surgery stretch their stomachs back out and put on the weight again.

Had John committed to a workout and diet and attained his new figure through actual effort, that'd be one thing. But he gamed the system, dyed his hair, and bought some new clothes. It's bad enough he's pulled the wool over some people's eyes, let alone himself.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are probably right. In Europe he doesn't have easy access to Hooters or all the other distractions he's used to seeing. I applaud him for losing the weight and getting on a 1200 calorie per day diet. He's changed his look, perhaps in an attempt to re-invent himself. Now let's hope he stick to it.

I've seen lap band surgery work if a commitment is made to changing one's lifestyle. So far, Big John is on the right track. If used as a quick fix, it won't be long before he finds himself at 280lbs again, sucking down beers and wings and wallowing in self-pity.

I for one just hope he doesn't get married again!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

I agree with iacas, this is just another one of his ploys to try and get back on the right track, but he has no idea what the right track is. When he falls back into his normal ways, everyone will be saying, he tried so hard, BS. He's just gamed the system.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Be honest though: he had surgery to make his stomach smaller. He didn't put in any effort to lose weight, and an incredibly high percentage of people who have that surgery stretch their stomachs back out and put on the weight again.

Careful. Some will accuse you of being perfect and don't deal with real life situations.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I've always liked John Daly but until he really owns up to his drinking problem - his golf game and his life will be erratic. People who have drinking problems can't say things like "It's just a few beers" or "it doesn't affect me". Alcohol, like many other addictions, will affect everything in your life if you've stepped over the line from social to problem drinking. I hope he does well because when he's on his game he's great for golf but when he's on his drinking game - he's a car crash.

• Administrator
Careful. Some will accuse you of being perfect and don't deal with real life situations.

To be clear, I wish him the best of luck, and if he can stick to his diet and he gives up drinking and gambling and smoking, he should do well. But he's getting older and I think the odds of him beating those three things AND his diet are slim to none.

I've said more than a few times that he might have more natural golfing talent in his pinkie than Tiger has in his entire body, but Tiger more than makes up for it with work ethic, mindset, determination, etc.
I've always liked John Daly but until he really owns up to his drinking problem - his golf game and his life will be erratic.

Word.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll certainly be pulling for the guy, I wish him the best of luck and hope he really makes a solid come back

Titleist 14 way stand bag
Driver: Titleist 910 D3
3wood: Titleist 910f
hybrid: Ping I20
4-Gw: Ping I20

56 Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM4

60 Wedge: Cleveland CG10

Putter: Scotty Cameron California Fastback

Without knowing him, it's hard for me to talk about his drug addiction (alcohol). I will say I could care less if he quits smoking or not. I doubt this effects his game much at his age. I love his unique swing, attitude, and the fact that he is from a blue collar background. Those are my guys, the ones in sneakers and cut off shorts, who honed their games on public links, waiting for hours to play a round for the love of the game. I love JD and know that he will comeback strong.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

My bad.

I caught that, if no one else did.

All kidding aside this guy draws crowds like Tiger, hopefully he took Butch Harmons comments to heart and is making an honest effort to get his addictions under control. I was a huge fan, but i wont get my hopes up.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

BMW Italian Open - Round 1

JD at -2, T18

Leader at -7
Position 2 at -4

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Just watched the movie too.

Once was enough for me on that movie. The only thing i learned is that if some toothless hillbilly says "The river don't go to Aintree"....

Belive him, put the canoe back in the truck and go home

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx 15* - X flex

What a bunch of nimrods.

John Daly can drink a few beers if he wants.

He can live his life how he sees fit. Don't you and I?

To be honest, he is one of the main reasons I got into golf. My first new club was a Wilson Killer Whale. I would watch John play and go out and try my best to pull my back out. Even in my teenage years, I could not do it. Nor will I try again. But he made golf fun.

One of my favorite moments in golf was watching him at the practice tee in Pinehurst when he was here for the 99 Open. All the guys were doing their routines, little of this, little of that. All business and paying no attention to the hundreds of fans there just to watch them hit some balls. On the far end of the range was John and about 75% of the fans were on that end watching him hit his driver. He was going for a maintenance shed about 330 yards down the range in the back right corner. He was looking over his shoulder smiling and waving at the fans. Teeing up another, trying again, till he finally hit the shed. Everyone cheered. What some of you don't get about John is that it is not his driving distance or "blue collar" background that make people love him. It is the fact that he acts like one of the guys. Of 30 or more pros on the practice tee, he was the only one that ever looked back or spoke with the fans.

Looks like lately he has decided to put some energy towards playing golf which is good to see. Losing some weight and getting in better physical (and emotional) health can only serve to make him play better. It is obviously working. The lap band surgery everyone is making such a joke out of requires more work than you think. He would not be losing the weight if he was not doing ALOT of work after the procedure. He shot -3 in Spain, followed that up with a strong -6 (after day two) in Italy. If that is not a come back, what is? Not to mention the new hair and flashy clothes. OK, I am kidding about that, but if it makes him feel better I am all for it.

How can you not pull for him to succeed? I will tell you, because you see someone wasting talent (in your perception) and it makes you mad. Green with envy. Being jealous is a character flaw of course. Like drinking, smoking, eating, gambling, etc...

We all screw up in some way. But we are not in the newspapers each time luckily.

Whether you like it or not, expect to see lots more from John Daly.

Note: This thread is 5451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!