IGNORED

Are Hybrids Taking Over Lofted Fairway Woods

Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I was a kid I had a 27-degree 9-wood, and that thing went frickin' high... my 3-hybrid shots are hilariously high like moon duster material, they're balloontastic shots, lol...

(I'm 22 so i ain't that old)... lol

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

its all about accuracy these days, and hybrids have a reputation to be more accurate than fairway woods, while still keeping most of the length. My 2 hybrid is a 17º, like a weak 3 wood, or strong 5 wood. I hit it 240 yards, and It is very accurate. It is also more susceptible to shaped-shots, which is a big help.

Hybrids have definitely replaced the woods, due to their ability to be hit easier, a smaller, more comfortable club head, and more confidence when hitting off the deck. Fairway woods, like the 7,9,and 11 are long gone, with the exception of the older folk who can't part with classics, and carry upwards of 20 clubs in their bag for every occasion.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

its all about accuracy these days, and hybrids have a reputation to be more accurate than fairway woods, while still keeping most of the length. My 2 hybrid is a 17º, like a weak 3 wood, or strong 5 wood. I hit it 240 yards, and It is very accurate. It is also more susceptible to shaped-shots, which is a big help.

haha, you're 15...be careful with that "older folk" comment little boy. unless you're in a tournament or with some harda$$es i don't think anyone cares if someone over 60 carries more than 14 clubs. are you even old enough to have hit a 7, 9, or 11? sorry, took offense to a youngin talkin crap bout old people. since we were around at the time to hit these, some became used to hitting them long before a hybrid came about and at the time and still today are more comfortable hitting them. I still hit my 7w and know many people i've played with who envy it over their hybrid. just sharing.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I don't carry my 3W or 5W anymore. The Hybrids that I carry do the trick out of the rough, in the fairway and provide the distance that I need.
Je joue au golf, et j'aime ca.
-------------------------------------
Nike SasQuatch Sumo2
HaLo 2i & 3i
3100 I/H 5-GW588 Gunmetal 53/56/60White Hot XG #2Vector BagProV1x

I do still think a forgiving fairway wood shouldn't be overlooked, up until the 7-wood. After that, there is no reason not to use a hybrid. If it wasn't for the huge distance gap it would create, and the loss of my favorite chipping tool, I wouldn't think twice about putting a 5-wood back in the bag.

In my stand bag:
909D3 with 10.5 degrees of loft and a 45 inch Fujikura Rombax 6Z08, x-flex
909F3 15* with a stock Diamana Blue
FT 18* with an Aldila NV
X-forged ('07), 3-PW with Project X 6.0 CG12, 53/11, and 58* with DSG Red X2, 33"All with Lamkin Crossline Full Cord. (except the putter of...

I like the ball flight of hybrids better than fairway woods. I haven't gotten around to replacing my 3 wood yet because I always pull my hybrid instead.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

I just made the conversion over to hybrids.. Love em. You can still get a hybrid in 7 and i think 9 woods but they're special orders according to the guy at Golfgalaxy. Just the versatility alone makes them the thing to do.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

I was at Golf Galaxy last night.

Either the new fairway woods are beginning to look like hybrids, or the new hybrids are morphing into fairway woods. The hybrid heads are getting getting more pear shaped, the fairway wood heads are getting more streamlined. Check out the new TM rescue clubs. You'll see what I mean.

Then look for a Hywood soon in a store near you!

The differences between the club styles is fast becoming blurred. At least cosmetically.

ok...i'm now officially guilty of making the jump...although, i'll let it be known a small one. I bought the new cleveland launcher 2i hybrid to replace the 5w in my bag for a short while as a prolonged demo. I still have the 7w in my bag because i refuse to part with it. so i guess you can say i'm not a republican or democrat, i'm a smack dab independent haha who takes both sides

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I was at Golf Galaxy last night. Either the new fairway woods are beginning to look like hybrids, or the new hybrids are morphing into fairway woods. The hybrid heads are getting getting more pear shaped, the fairway wood heads are getting more streamlined. Check out the new TM rescue clubs. You'll see what I mean. Then look for a Hywood soon in a store near you! The differences between the club styles is fast becoming blurred. At least cosmetically.

Good point. Look at Adams clubs, especially.

Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

I stopped using my fairway woods off the fairway the day I tried my first hybrid. My 2-hybrid is my go-to club for virtually every shot 190+ out, from the tee, out of the rough, and off the fairway. That thing is just effortless to hit.

I still love my 3W and 4W, though, and in fact am having the 3W re-shafted right now with a shortened (42.25") Aldila DVS shaft (same one that's in my hybrid, but 80 grams instead of 85), and am cutting the Rombax on my 4W down to 41.75" (adding lead to bring the weight back up to D2-D3). I'm trying to turn the woods into something a little more hybrid-like, since no one seems to sell a 13° hybrid with a 42" shaft.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

I couldn't hit a 3 Wood to save my life until I purchased the Tour Edge Exotics cb2 3 Wood. For some strange reason I struggle hitting hybrids off a tee (and I'm a short hitter so find myself in that situation on longer par 3's) so I keep a 7 Wood in my bag. What I like most about the hybrids is that I have no problem hitting them high or low as the situation requires and that you use a iron swing while hitting them.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!