IGNORED

Golf Grip selection - help please

Rounders
Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This past winter I decided that it was time to get my irons re-gripped. So I went to my local golfsmith and talked with a one of their employees and he was asking me a couple questions about my game and then recommended that I get grips with cords in them to help align the club better in my hands. Sounded good at the time, well....I'm 8 rounds into my new grips and I have 2 blisters on my right hand. One on my index finger and one on my ring finger. I have never had any blisters on my hands in 16 years of playing golf, so it has to be the cords right?

So I think that I'm going get them re-griped again, but this time I want to be more informed and do a little research on my own. What better place to ask than the wonderful knowledge of you guys. What do you say, help a fellow addict out?

Driver: R9
Fairway Woods: 07 Burner Rescue
Hybrid: 07 Burner Rescue
Irons: X-16's
Wedges: CG10 Black Pearl 54* Putter: Rossa Fontana

I'm partial to the golf pride tour velvet grips. I do have chord on my driver but honestly the tour velvet is much more comfortable and actually grips much better in good (dry) conditions.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

I'm not a fan of cord grips either. The Golf Pride tour velvets are nice, or the GP tour wraps are a viable option. Personally, I'm not a Winn fan, but I'm sure others are.

"then recommended that I get grips with cords in them to help align the club better in my hands."

WTF does that mean? There are some reasons to get cord grips but hand alignment sure ain't one of them!

yeah... I don't really understand the alignment / cord connection. I am a Winn fan, they are the most comfortable grips I have found. I like a firm grip and Winn makes some firm grips that are easy on the hands and have great feel.

My personal favorites are the G8 and Xi7... I haven't tried the new PCi ones yet, but they felt good in the store.

http://www.winngrips.com/?home
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I use Winn grips. My hands sweat and most grips felt like they were going to slip out. I like the softness of the winns and they stay in my hands

i said this in another thread and i'll say it again in this one. Golf Pride Multi-Compound

Is it true that the multi-compound grips will shred golf gloves? I heard that rumor once before, not sure if that's true or not.

Also, not sure what the general rule of thumb is for handicap levels. Softer = better player? Or is it really just up to the feel of the golfer?

Is it true that the multi-compound grips will shred golf gloves? I heard that rumor once before, not sure if that's true or not.

Kind of, yes. But any cord grip will tend to do that. Its not extreme or anything, i still get about 7-10 rounds out of a single glove.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I also use the Golf Pride Multi-compound and I love them. On my 4i, I am trying out the new Lamkin grip...it feels really good so far.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pick the grip that feels the best in your hands. Grips are your only connection to the club & that connection should be comfortable.

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

I go through 3 gloves a year, playing about 20-25 rounds a year, all clubs with New Decade grips. I don't think that's unreasonable. Also, softer grips provide less fell, therefore they are usually preferred by higher handicaps.

I have one question... what grips do you like? (In like I mean what do get the best feel and results with in all conditions). Feel is the main thing to focus on in my opinion. Most of the people in my family like the winn grips (whether it be the wrap style or one of their others). A lot of people like em. Their too soft for me. Personally I prefer tour wraps. They're simple, straight forward and they play well both wet and dry. Get something that feels right.

As far as chord grips.. I don't like either.

2 minutes later

Just went back and looked at your original post. Do you have any complaints about your old style? If not then why change?

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

I have one question... what grips do you like? (In like I mean what do get the best feel and results with in all conditions). Feel is the main thing to focus on in my opinion. Most of the people in my family like the winn grips (whether it be the wrap style or one of their others). A lot of people like em. Their too soft for me. Personally I prefer tour wraps. They're simple, straight forward and they play well both wet and dry. Get something that feels right.

To be honest, I don't remember anything good or bad about my old grips. I have x-16s and they were worn pretty well. Since then I have gotten a lot more serious about golf and so I'm trying to make the best decision I can.

Tour Velvets are great as long as there is no humidity or damp conditions.

Aside from that....make 'em corded for me.

Anytime that I've developed blisters it was most likely from gripping too strongly during range sessions.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Im getting my 67s(for those of you who know im getting new irons im going to switch the two sets out from time to time so i wanted to have grips that dont slide out of my hand on the 67s) and woods and wedges regripped with the GP multi compounds. I love the multi comps!!! I feel kinda weird though because im not getting my clubs back till Wednesday. Fell naked or something w/out my golf clubs......

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Is it just me, or are grips getting flashier and more annoyingly colorful?
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

For years I played with Tour Wraps and really liked them, easy on the hands gave me good grip even in the rain. Changed up my whole bag this year and put New Decade Multicompound on wedges, woods and driver, really like them but they really tore up my hands and were painful at the end of 18 holes. Switched my Driver and woods to DD2s and my hands feel so much better I will put these on the rest of my clubs when the rest of my grips wear out. My new irons came w/ Dual Durometer and they seem okay. DD2s are soft so if you want a firmer grip I'd try something different, some of the Winns felt like they might be a good compromise between too soft and too firm, but I read they wear fast so I stuck with Golf Pride. My local Golfsmith had some Goodyear grips that looked and felt interesting but I didn't want to gamble on an unknown.
ogio.gifedge bag
titleist.gifdriver 10.5* 907D1, 15* 906f2, 18* 906f2
wilson_staff.gif21* hybrid, 3-PW PI7, TW9 wedges
wilson_staff.gif: 8802, 8813, or Arnold Palmer Original
wilson_staff.gifX1 or 50

I'm looking into regripping my clubs also. I love the tour velvet, but I think I'll go with the oversized this time. I loved these tan grips that I think golfpride made years ago. Has anyone seen anything in this color recently?

"Hey! Llama! How about something..you know..for the effort.."

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select
LW: Titleist Vokey 60*
SW: Bazooka Milled Carbon Steel 56*GW: Hand Made Snake Eye 3-PW: King Cobra II Tour OS5W: Taylor Made Burner SupersteelDriver: Henry Griffitts 13*...

Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!