IGNORED

Problem skying my Drives, and im not teeing it too high

Note: This thread is 3374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

today i was skying most of my drives. i know i wasnt teeing it too high cause less than half of the ball was visable above the crown of the club. any ideas as to what causes this?

In My Ozone Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Burner 15* Stiff
Hybrid: Burner 19* Stiff
Irons: Tour Burner 4-GWWedges: CG14 54.12, 58.12Putter: SabertoothBall: TP Back Rangefinder: GX-IHome Course: http://www.strawberryridgegolfcourse.com/

The only way to pop up your drive is to come down on the ball to steeply if you have the ball teed up correctly. To steep of a downswing is usually the cause of a sky shot. I would not be surprised if you have marks on the crown or top of your driver.

Try a more rounded swing with the driver.....because of its length it should be a little flatter swing. Try more around your body instead of lifting your arms and coming down.

Good luck!

In My Callaway Warbird Stand Bag

Driver: Burner 9.5#
Fairway Wood: Burner 15*
Hybrid: Sumo 18*Hybrid: 22*Irons: :AP1 4-PW Rifle 5.5Wedges: G12 52,56,60Putter: C 67

The only way to pop up your drive is to come down on the ball to steeply if you have the ball teed up correctly. To steep of a downswing is usually the cause of a sky shot. I would not be surprised if you have marks on the crown or top of your driver.

Was just about to respond with the same answer. Agreed.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also agree, driver should be swung in a sweeping motion. My trick is to hear my driver brush the grass as I make my backswing... It lets me know i'm making a flat swing.

Did you also make sure to tilt your spine slight away from target?

In my Bag-Boy NXO Revolver cart bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5, UST Proforce V2 x-stiff
Wood: Burner '09 3-Wood
Hybrid: H585 3-Hybrid, stiff steel shaft
3-PW: : MP-57 4-PW, Rifle Project X 6.0Wedge: Solus 51, 56, 61Putter: White Hot XG Teron 34"Ball: ProV1x "Practice"

Flatter swing will probably solve this. You mention you don't tee it high, so you shouldn't be hitting it high. The thing is that the higher you tee it, the more likely you are to hit it on the way up and the lower you ball flight will be. The lower the ball is tee'd, the more you will hit it on the way down and the higher it will go. Hitting down on the ball will create a lot of backspin and launch it way into the air. I know because I do exactly the same thing myself. You can also try to not rest the club on the ground at adress. Let it hover behind the ball, take a long, shallow backswing and come down the same path.

Many pros tee it very low (fi. Tiger), but he sweeps the ball perfectly and I believe he is carrying a 7.5º driver, which makes a difference. I've seen a few tests online on length and tee height. The results showed that the higher you tee it, the longer the drive will be. It is natural to tee it lower to want a lower ball flight, but if you don't hit the ball at the bottom or the way up, the effect will be oposite.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Don't forget to consider the loft of the driver, the flex of the shaft, and the ball.

Simple things, but give that some thought.

I had a reg flex in a driver a few years ago and I skied that thing to death. Changed shafts (to X stiff Aldila) and got a more boring trajectory. To a lesser extent, the ball played will make a difference as well.

Lastly, any chance the ball is too far forward in your stance?

Food for thought.

To get a flatter swing stand just a bit further from the ball, change your spine angle or actively flatten out the plane on the backswing. I've watched a lot of tour players lately. I admire how they can go back and come back down on same nice flat plane with their drivers. I've come to the conclusion I can't do a one plane swing effectively like the pros. It usually results in me coming a little over the top and steep to the ball. What I have been doing lately is just flattening out as I reach the top and swing back down on the more inside plane from the top. I don't let myselfy come inside to early because that is always a killer for me. I keep the club going straight back as long as possible and basically loop back to a flatter plane at the top. Do you hit a lot of fat shots with your irons? That is a good indicator of a too steep swing.

Attack the inside quarter of the ball too. That is helpful as an aid to come flatter to the ball.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

I would actually tee it up a bit more and really think about hitting up on it. I am sure you are breaking tees becuase you are hitting it with a downward strike. If it is teeed up too low, you will hit the ball two high because of spin. It seems pretty backwards but I have struggled with hitting it too high and tried other drivers with less loft but I found that it was more of the strike and the strikee than the equipment. If I am not breaking tees I am hitting it a nice trajectory.

Brian

To get a flatter swing stand just a bit further from the ball, change your spine angle or actively flatten out the plane on the backswing. I've watched a lot of tour players lately. I admire how they can go back and come back down on same nice flat plane with their drivers. I've come to the conclusion I can't do a one plane swing effectively like the pros. It usually results in me coming a little over the top and steep to the ball. What I have been doing lately is just flattening out as I reach the top and swing back down on the more inside plane from the top. I don't let myselfy come inside to early because that is always a killer for me. I keep the club going straight back as long as possible and basically loop back to a flatter plane at the top. Do you hit a lot of fat shots with your irons? That is a good indicator of a too steep swing.

Your syaing if you come to steep with your irons that is a result of to steep of a swing or more of swinging with your hands and not your lower body and up?

I have to try this at the course today, I usually get a lot of high shots and I throught I was coming up on the ball too much, but it is the exact opposite cuase I do have ball marks ontop of my driver!

In my Bag:

Driver- Launcher Driver 9.5 Loft, Stiff Shaft
Woods- G2 3- Wood
Hybrid- Halo 2 Iron G10 3 Iron HybridIrons- 4- Pitching i10Wedges- 52, 56 and 60 Degree RACPutter- 2 Ball

Your syaing if you come to steep with your irons that is a result of to steep of a swing or more of swinging with your hands and not your lower body and up?

When I flattened my downswing, not just for the driver but for all clubs, I hit the ball with a higher trajectory and greatly reduced my fat shots with the irons. If you are popping the ball up with the driver, you are coming in too steep usually. Coming in too steep and swinging with the arms too much are two different things to me. Synching the arm swing and the body is important flat swing or no.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

thanks for the help guys, ill make sure to try a more sweeping swing next time.

In My Ozone Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Burner 15* Stiff
Hybrid: Burner 19* Stiff
Irons: Tour Burner 4-GWWedges: CG14 54.12, 58.12Putter: SabertoothBall: TP Back Rangefinder: GX-IHome Course: http://www.strawberryridgegolfcourse.com/

might want to try getting yourself on a launch monitor to see if it might be the 10.5* driver you have with a high launch shaft...that's just my opinion...

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

• 5 years later...
I drive the ball about 240 -275 but sometimes I will hit it way too high and can't snap a good line drive to save my life . Trying to tee it lower but that sometimes does not help, any advice out there?

I drive the ball about 240 -275 but sometimes I will hit it way too high and can't snap a good line drive to save my life . Trying to tee it lower but that sometimes does not help, any advice out there?

This is a pretty multi-faceted question. Teeing lower can make you hit down more on the ball and create more spin. Skying the ball is usually a pop fly. It could be your shaft is too flexible and snaps forward, it could be that you are crowning the ball. Spray some Dr. Scholls foot powder on the face. Take a picture and post it. Someone will probably have some insight.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

today i was skying most of my drives. i know i wasnt teeing it too high cause less than half of the ball was visable above the crown of the club. any ideas as to what causes this?

You are hitting down on your driver. and your lowpoint of your swing is under the ball instead of behind the ball. About the only way you can hit a ball off the top of your driver is to hit down on it, or have it teed so high that even though you are swingin up you in effect swing under it. Adjust your ball position and then take slow motion swings to see the club bottom out and then come off the ground with the driver.

Here is a video showing what I am saying:

• Upvote 1

You are hitting down on your driver. and your lowpoint of your swing is under the ball instead of behind the ball.

I hope OP has managed to stop skying the ball during the past 5 years.

• 6 months later...

I have exactly the same problem. And when I put the tee forward, the ball does not only goes up to the sky, also to the left. So here, I have a question: what is a flat swing with the driver? for me it feels bad, because I think that I should not hit the imaginary wall that´s behind me (almost touching my butt)... I read somewhere, that a closer stance, might help. What is a closer stance?

Yes, my driver has marks on hte crown. :no:

What should I do?

:nike:

Note: This thread is 3374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!