IGNORED

Taylormade R9 Driver - Good Bad & Ugly?

Note: This thread is 5429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I apologize, but i disagree slightly with what you say. The R9 will fix his misses and straighten out his drives. It is an awesome head, very hot like the R7 when it came out. And if he gets fit for the R9 with the right shaft, right lie angle, loft, offset, for his swing. He will hit 30% more faiways and gain 25% more yards easy. I currently have an r7, but spent 30 min in a taylormade demo session and hit the R9 15 yards longer with some 30+, and I was straighter on slight mishits. It is a sick driver, and looks and sounds beautiful. Between the new 909D and the R9, not sure what Im going with.

Whats in the bag?
909 D3 8.5* UST Mamiya Tour Green X
909 F3 13* UST ATTAS X
909 F3 18* UST ATTAS X
909 H 21* DG S300 735cm chrome 5-PW DG S300 54.08 SM 58.04 SM 64.07 SM Studio Select Newport 2 Sonic Blue Dot...

It's fun to buy new clubs.

This guy hit the nail on the head.

-Kevin
In the Nike Pro Tour Combo Bag:
907 D2 9.5*
906F2 18* 5W
585H 21* 3 Hybrid 735.CM 4-PW 51.06 MP-T & 56.13 MP-T White Hot #1

No one here can tell you how you will hit the R9. You may hit it well, you may hit it terribly. Certainly, the wiser investment by a mile is lessons or at least a fitting. I'm sure you can find 30 mins here and there for that.

In my bag:
Driver: G10 10.5 TFC 129 Shaft
3 wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: 585H 21 Degree
Irons 3-PW: 735.CMWedges: Vokey 52.08, 56.14Putter: White Hot XG #5

I agree with those who suggested that the manufacturers are making things more complicated. Golf is complicated enough without adding the stress of setting this weight or that or angle adjustments etc. Is it really going to be a better club than my Tour Burner? Doubtful at best. Besides, It's a robot driver. Ben Hogan is rolling in his grave!

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

Ive got an R9 and I personally like it. However, its not going to gain you the distances that you are wanting.
I went from a Mizuno MX-560 12* to the R9 10.5* that I currently have and I did gain about 30 yards, but Id say thats most due to the loft.
While I do think that the adjustability of the R9 is a nice feature to have and that by opening or closing the face it could reduce a hook or slice (much like the draw drivers that are available), I dont see the R9 taking you from hitting 200 yard drives to 275-300 yard drives.
Id agree with the others who said that youd be better off spending your money on some lessons.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

If you have money for a new driver, you'd be better served using that money for lessons in all honestly.

A good series of lessons on swinging is far more valuable to you than a driver ever will be.

It takes one hour to get a lesson, and 30 minutes a day at the range to practice it. Im sure you can fit that in somewhere.

But no, I tried the R9, wonderful club, but I didnt actually get to tinker with it or use it extensively.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I was having the same problems as the OP and swapped my HiBore XLS Monster for the R9 today. I adjusted it to correct the slice and took it to the range. I hit 50 balls and 49 of them were dead center. I couldn't believe the amount of control I had with this club.

I only hit the ball about the same distance as you and I honestly didn't notice a big difference in yardage either way, but again everything I hit was center cut. It was my most consistent time at the range ever.

I agree with everyone that lessons are ultimately the way to go (for both of us), but this club will help. It's not a cure all and won't replace learning to swing properly, but it is an excellent club. The way I look at it is that you can always return the club to the neutral position once you fix your swing.

Also, once you get it fixed it won't matter if you're swinging an R9, R7, Titleist, Ping, etc... Guys didn't just start hitting 250+ yard drives in the last 10 years, they were hitting them with wooden clubs... so again, lessons are the only "cure".

just my $.02

In my Org.14 Xtreme Cart Bag
Driver: G15 10.5* TFC 149D Reg Flex
3 Wood: G15
Hybrid: Diablo Edge 3i
Irons: Diablo Edge 52* and 56* Wedges: CG14 Chrome60* Wedge: CG15 ChromePutter: White Ice SabertoothBall: Assorted

Note: This thread is 5429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!