IGNORED

Rules Violations You Witness

iacas
Note: This thread is 5454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I thought it'd be interesting to share rules violations you witness while playing golf that people don't even seem to know are rules violations.

In other words, don't list "rolling the ball to get a better lie" because I think that even the people who do that know they're breaking the rules. "Gimmes" don't count either - those people know deep down that they're cheating.

Here are three I witnessed today - three rules violations that the person probably had no clue was a rules violation, and these are avid (4-5x/week) golfers.

1) Tree Leaves
Guy's ball is under a tree. He takes several practice swings to test the length of his backstroke, knocking off several leaves and small berries or fruits and breaking some of the small little twiggy branches.

2) On the Line of a Putt
Partner (we were playing two-man Southern Point) had a putt on about the same line as his partner. As his partner putted, he stood behind him right on the line of his putt.

3) Incomplete Relief
Guy hit into a flower bed (which are deemed ground under repair in our local rules). I didn't think it was a flower bed (it was mulch around pine trees - the nearest flowers were 10+ feet away), but that's beside the point. Anyway, he measures his drop not including his stance, just where the ball was, so when he finally hits he's still standing in the mulch and hitting a tree in his backswing (not the same as #1 above).

Bonus 4) Swing and a Miss
I've seen a lot of people not count a stroke when they whiff. I bet many don't know that's against the rules too.

So what rules violations that most people don't seem to think are rules violations (not the best grammar, but I think you know what I mean) have you seen?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the knocking leaves and bark off of trees all the time. I also see guys fixing ball marks in the fringe that is direct line of a chip. I have seen guys in tournaments have their ball move on the putting before they address it, then put it back where it was not knowing that it was a penalty to put it back. On the same note, I have seen guys nudge the ball on accident and not put it back, or put it back and not call a penalty. The best one is last. I did not witness it, but the person that did know the rules and follows them to a tee. He was caddying for his dad in a big local tournament. On the 14th hole, he witnessed one member of the opposing team scoop his ball marker up and move it 10 feet closer to the hole. Be advised, this was done very casually, but one person saw it. He mentioned it to his dad and the tournament officials, and they did nothing about it because another player did not see it. It was a sham, but it is what it is. That team is now watched by a spotter.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Gosh, the only thing that springs to mind is in the monthly medal our fourball is fairly friendly and talkative; often one guy will ask another what club he hit "was that a seven". I'm pretty sure that's against the rules right?

In the Bag:

R7 Draw, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 3-wood, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 5-wood, stiff Exsar FS2 MP-60 3-PW, reg TT dynamic gold MP Tour Style 54.10 and 60.09,reg TT dynamic gold Bobby Grace DCT Response, w/ golf pride "2 thumb" grip B330S

I know quite a few guys who will put the ball into the hole with the flag still in place. My brother-in-law did it once on a par-3 for birdie and I told him he just made a "4" on the hole. He insisted it was only a "2."

Also, I worked with a guy that would putt with a practice ball. At the end of the round I told him his score was 36 strokes higher than he claimed and showed him the rule. He now putts out with the ball he tees off with.

Finally, grounding clubs in hazards or taking practice swings that kick up sand.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

Grounding the club in a bunker (or in a hazard, it drives me nuts)… Once I was playing with a guy who actually drew a line in the sand.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

1) Tree Leaves

This one I have never heard of! Nice tip!

What is the penalty, if any?

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I see a lot of people grounding their clubs in bunkers.

Also, cleaning their ball on the green without marking it first. Is it that hard to pull a coin from your pocketses (excuse The Hobbit reference).

- Shane

I thought it'd be interesting to share rules violations you witness while playing golf that people don't even seem to know are rules violations.

#2 is against the rules? I honestly did not know that.

that the flagstick is never supposed to be on the ground

While I am sure this is not a rule, there are two decisions that indicate indirectly that this is not a rule.

17-1/6 Attended Flagstick Placed on Ground Subsequently Lifted Q. While a ball is in motion after a stroke, the person attending the flagstick removes it and places it on the ground. He then realizes the ball might strike the flagstick, so he picks it up. What is the ruling? A. There is no penalty. A flagstick that is attended, removed, or held up may be moved by anyone even if doing so could influence the movement of a ball in motion (Rule 24-1). (Revised) 17-1/7 Removed Flagstick Placed on Ground Subsequently Lifted Q. A, the opponent or fellow-competitor of B, removes the flagstick from the hole and places it on the ground. B putts and A, who is standing within reach of the removed flagstick, realizes that B’s ball might strike the removed flagstick, so he picks the flagstick up. What is the ruling? A. There is no penalty — see Rule 24-1. (Revised)

In my Grom bag:

5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

• Administrator
I also see guys fixing ball marks in the fringe that is direct line of a chip.

Oh yeah, I've seen that too. So annoying. You can't fix a ball mark in the area of your stance or swing until after you've hit (cuz then it's not in the area of your stance or swing

). In the spring when tee balls bounce back a foot or so in soft ground people do that crap all the time.
often one guy will ask another what club he hit "was that a seven". I'm pretty sure that's against the rules right?

Yeah. Unless he's on the same team - you said fourball, which is a 2-on-2 competition (best ball).

Finally, grounding clubs in hazards or taking practice swings that kick up sand.

I don't see that too often.

that the flagstick is never supposed to be on the ground

There's no rule that says the flagstick is never supposed to be on the ground.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Playing with mostly high cappers there is another one other than the obvious stroke and distance for a lost ball.

It is when the ball is actually found and deemed unplayable then moved say 5 yards out of the trees / rough to a clear area and only a 1-shot penality is taken. Most high cappers I know believe they have proceeded under the rules.

-E

In my Grom bag:

This one I have never heard of! Nice tip!

Q. A player’s ball lies near a tree. The player takes a practice swing near his ball and knocks down leaves. Is this a breach of Rule 13-2?

A. The answer depends on whether the area of the intended swing is improved. If knocking down leaves would not improve the area of the intended swing there would be no breach of the rules. If knocking down leaves does improve the area of the intended swing it would be a breach of Rule 13-2.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I've seen, in league play this year, a guy tee up his ball ever so slightly in front of the Tee box markers.

I've seen, in league play this year, a guy ground his club in a lateral hazard.

I've seen, in league play this year, a guy hit his tee ball into water, then say he found his ball in the fairway. (Pretty sure he knew he was cheating) - I called him on it on the last green. He said "I shot 50, it doesn't really matter"...

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

• Administrator
Q. A player’s ball lies near a tree. The player takes a practice swing near his ball and knocks down leaves. Is this a breach of Rule 13-2?

If you take a practice swing, knock leaves and branches off, and don't move your feet to take an actual practice swing, that's "the area of the intended swing" and you're definitely improving it. The rules on that are pretty clear.

It's not like the guy was testing underneath another similar tree nearby.

One that I have seen recently was removing your ball from the cup with the flag stick after having chipped or putted in from off the green.

Also it seems that many people are unaware that if a competitor's ball hits a piece of your equipment, the penalty is yours and not your opponent's.

And isn't holding a branch or small tree back with one's legs building a stance, akin to "pruning" a tree as Iacas mentions?

Launcher 2009 10.5º, S
Rescue Dual 16º
Rescue Dual 19º
Maltby MTF 4-pw, Rifle 5.5
Maltby M-Series 52.6, 58.8 2008 AnserOut of the bag: Big Bertha Fusion 15º, YS6+ R (for sale or trade)

Probably playing different types of balls during a round. So many people do this, I'm sure most don't know its illegal.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Note: This thread is 5454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!