IGNORED

60 degree wedge bounce...what do you play and why??

Note: This thread is 4991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I do this occasionally, too. If you focus on maintaining your stance, the bladed wedge can putt really well.

I actually did this an entire round as part of a bet with a buddy. I really putted well with it!!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Concrete? It may not hurt me, but what about the club?

Hehe, I'm sure a few people winced at the idea of hitting a wedge off concrete. I just replaced my Vokey 56/11, so I used the old one :)

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

Low bounce because I like to slide under the ball for lob shots and low bounce makes it easier for me to open the face and get even more loft out of it.
G5,9
F-50,13.5
MP33(2-9)
SM,54.11MP-T,60.05Anser 2

Hehe, I'm sure a few people winced at the idea of hitting a wedge off concrete. I just replaced my Vokey 56/11, so I used the old one :)

We played a HORSE type Big Break thing on the last hole last Sunday at my course. We hit chips off the cart path and I was very surprised that it didn't hurt the club much at all. There were a couple of scratches but no worse that what I have received on the course really.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure of the actual spec because it it a low end club, but the sole is pretty flat edged, so I assume it is low bounce.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

I've got a low bounce 60 degree wedge, but to be honest I rarely use it. I can hit it just fine, but for high shots around the green I tend to reach for my SW. It has 55 degrees of loft and a lot of bounce, but I'm just more comfortable using it for those 3/4 and 1/2 shots. I'm a digger too, but it's more of a comfort level due to the fact that I use it so much and that it's part of my set range routine.

In the south it's important to have wedges with a bit more bounce. I've experimented with wedges for years, and while it's cool to hit the "flopadopolous" with a wedge with 4 degrees of bounce, it's not practical or versatile. Get yourself a 60 degree with at least 8 to 10 degrees of bounce. In the south we play on bermuda grass and generally softer conditions. The ball tends to sit up a bit more in the grass, and a wedge with low bounce just digs in and you hit bad shots. If you want more options, try the Clevelend DSG wedges, which give you a bit more versatility when opening the face on tight lies by rolling back the trailing edge on the heel for less dynamic bounce. Hope this helps!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

• 2 weeks later...
If you are more prone to thin shots, its better to go with a lower bounce, correct?

I'm thinking of getting a 56* Mizuno MP-T wedge, and they have two options of 10* and 14* of bounce. I am thinking the 14* is a bit much.

Standard, in all my wedges, IDK just always done it that way.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

I prefer a "mid" bounce in my wedges. My 56 has 11 degrees, and my 60 has 6 degrees. When the 60 wears out, I'll replace it with a wedge with more bounce (8 to 10 degrees).

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

• 5 weeks later...
I also prefer a mid bounce 60 degree,currently using a Nike VR 60.10. It works fine for the courses I play which generally don't have many tight lies and have relatively soft conditions. I am also more of a digger and slider I think, however I have another 60 degree VR with 6 degrees of bounce for some courses in the area that have tighter lies.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

i rarely find myself using a 60* wedge on full shots, its just a tough club to hit on full shots without chunking it for me. i prefer my 56* about half or 3/4 swing to make up that gap. that being said, i find myself always using the 60* for little half shots, chips, flop shots, anything you can think of within 60yards. awesome club it can be so versatile by changing ball position, open/closing stance, and shaft lean. its a great club. i currently play a cleveland cg10 60* with 6* bounce(1 Dot).

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

My Vokey is 12*. I play in a lot of damp conditions and am often hitting out of longer grass... Works well for me. Stops the dig, but gets under enough. I can still open it up and flop it high no problem. Only place it hurts is when the ball is sitting down a tad into the turf.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Otay...the search is over for now......for now.

I recieved a v-mail this afternoon that my LW was in. Gonna pick it up and game it when my #%^ (&%$ knee recovers and allows a round of golf.

The wedge I ordered is one of the thin sole options offered by PING in a 64 degree loft with 6 degrees of bounce.

It's gonna be a tricky bizzle.....no doubt. Short-sided affairs often are.

I'm hoping that it's a bit easier than fully opening my 54 SW.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I now play the Cleveland gun metal 588 wedges but I still on some days take out my Yonex PM 60 degree 0 bounce that Phill designed years ago that he hit off the gym floor in his commerical for the club.It don't go far but it sure does go straight up and stops dead on the green.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

• 1 year later...
Have the same question and rather than starting a new thread I wanted to bring this one back up to get more input.

Driver - G10
3W - Launcher 15*
5W - Launcher 19*
3H- 3DX RC
Irons - MX-300 4-GWPutter - Anser 2

I use a 60 vokey with 7* bounce. Reading through the first part of this thread, it seems like enough people feel like the lw is only good for flop shots. I use it for basically everything from 80 yards and in (exception would be sand bunkers requiring more bounce or any other shot requiring more bounce which my 56 vokey provides). 80 yards with my 60* vokey is like an easy full swing, 50 yards for half, and about 35 for a quarter swing. For anything in betwen i adjust accordingly. I chip, pitch, flop with it. From 80 yards and in i'm usually on the green with one shot of my lw.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

I have been playing with à vokey 60/07, very fine wedge and the bounce is perfect too, not too much an not too less I first thought. Later I tried the 4 degr. Bounce but using that on a full shot ...... It sometimes went info the fairway very , maybe nice for Phil but not for us. Then I went for a 12 degrees ..... You just need about the same bounce in the rough as you need in a sand bunker : 10-12 degr. But the 60 is difficult !

Today I combined 56 and 60 in one club, being a 58/12 which leaves me room to carry a 2i or extra hybrid.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I play a 60 with 8 degrees of bounce. 8 is standard 60 degree bounce. If you dig a lot then use a higher bounce to keep it from getting caught in the ground.

Whats in my Nike Xtreme Stand Bag:
Driver-Nike SQ SUMO 5000 10.5* w/ SQ Diamana R Flex
Fairway-Nike SQ DYMO 19*w/ UST Wide Body R Flex
Irons- Nike SQ SUMO 4-P w/ True Temper SpeedStep SuperLite R flex
Wedges- Adams Golf Tom Watson Classic Grind 52.08, 56.12, 60.08 w/ Adams Golf TW Wdg FlexPutter-...

Note: This thread is 4991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!