IGNORED

I Can't Hit Off a Mat… Am I Weird?

opie

I really can't hit off the mats in places like Golfsmith etc.. I go to try and demo clubs and look like an idiot. I can't get a good feal without the ball on the ground and me taking a divot. Am I weird?

I tried out Mizuno MP57's this weekend at PGA Superstore and it was like I've never swung a club. Hit the MP62's much better off the mat but still not any good. Then went out to the range with my Golfsmith Pro Forged clubs and was striking the ball great. Good divots, good ball flight etc..

Anyone else that just can't hit off a mat?? I'm reluctant to buy any new clubs until I can test some on a range at least
  • Like 1

nope. mat isn't as good as turf, but I can hit off of both ok. Maybe you should do some practicing on mats just to get the feel for it?

I've never demo'd clubs at a golf store either, though. I've often wondered how good that experience would be for me.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Grass is much better but if you are taking divots in front of the ball, the mat shouldn't make much of a difference. I don't like hitting off of a mat but that is just preference.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

can't stand mats. psychologically, don't want to hit down on the ball when it's on a mat, thus I hit like cr@p off of them.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

can't stand mats. psychologically, don't want to hit down on the ball when it's on a mat, thus I hit like cr@p off of them.

I think that's my problem.. I just can't wrap my mind around it

The only time I can hit off of a mat is when there is a tee on it - otherwise it's a waste of my time.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

You need to learn to hit off a mat. It's great practice for when your ball lands on a big flat rock or area of sun baked clay.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

For folks that sweep the ball, it is not a big deal. But for people that have a steeper swing plane, it is problematic to hit off mats. You loose a ton of energy if you go into the mat. Face opens, ball goes right, etc.. I hate them for this reason. With that said, if you are hitting shots too fat in general, hitting on the mats will surely tell on you.

I flat out refuse to hit off one. I'd rather go out to the grass driving range and take 5-10 swings in winter weather.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

The reason I can't hit off mats in stalls such as Golfsmith and the range is because the space around me is rather confined. Even though my club shouldn't hit the stall walls, it's a psychological thing. I like to have room when I swing, even if I don't need it.

-Rich

For folks that sweep the ball, it is not a big deal. But for people that have a steeper swing plane, it is problematic to hit off mats. You loose a ton of energy if you go into the mat. Face opens, ball goes right, etc.. I hate them for this reason. With that said, if you are hitting shots too fat in general, hitting on the mats will surely tell on you.

But shouldn't you be hitting the mat after ball contact? Otherwise you would be hitting your shots a little chunky on the grass?

Bryan A

oh, and yeah, opie, mats or not, you're one weird dude.

/jk

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

I can hit off them, but I prefer to hit off of grass as it's more natural and doesn't dirty my clubs up as much with that plastic film

In The Bag:
Driver: r7 460 (9.5)
Fairway Woods: r7 CGB Max (3,5)
Hybrid:r7 CGB Max
Irons:AP2Wedges:Vokey Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52/8, 56/14, 60/4)Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Balls:Pro V1x 2009

I hate those damn things too, however I hit great off of them. BUT when I do and go golfing right afterwords its messes me up bad. I have a pretty steep swing, so I have to compensate when I'm on mats it plays hell with my game.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

But shouldn't you be hitting the mat after ball contact? Otherwise you would be hitting your shots a little chunky on the grass?

Yeah man. I do that too But the mats really kill me. On grass, I have a chance to hit the ball.

Yeah man. I do that too

I understand. I hate them too, but don't have a problem hitting off of them. The only time I use them is if it is really wet.

Bryan A