IGNORED

9 holes vs 18 holes?

Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Playing a 9-hole round is like taking your sister to prom.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

Playing a 9-hole round is like taking your sister to prom.

Not at all that is such a stupid comment.

In my Nike Bag...
Driver: 460 SZ 10.5*
Woods: SZ 3 and 7
Hybrid: Ignite
Irons: IgniteWedges: Big Bertha 55*, 58*Putter: FuturaBall: Penta, TP Black

I haven't actually played an 18 hole round yet. I've only done 9 holes at the local par 3, which is really nice after work. But on a Saturday morning, I'm definitely ready for another 9 after the first...

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

I play 9 holes 3 days a week after work and i dont mind it. But i'd definitely go play 18 holes if i have the time to. Basically the more golf i can play the better.

In my Ogio Budlight Bag
Taylormade R11 Driver | Big Bertha Diablo 3W | Tight Lies 5W & 7W |
Big Bertha Diablo 24 degree hybrid | Slingshot 4D 5-PW, AW Irons | SV Tour 56* wedge |
Detour Newport 2 | Noodle Ball | Golf Logix GPS

If you have plenty of time, definitely play 18 for me. 9 just isn't enough holes to have fun.
In my Bag:
Driver: G10 9°
3 Wood: Burner 15°
Hybrid: HiPPO h7 Tour 21°
Irons: X-22 (3, 5-PW)Wedges: 52° X-forged, 56° SW, 60° Victory Red LWPutter: 2-Ball SRTBall: Pro V1/V1x

Personally, I find 9 holes to be a waste of my time. I always find after going 9, I want to continue playing. If I lived next to a course that would be a whole different story, but the time it takes to get all my gear together, warmup, etc, I would rather do 18.

Sometimes 9 is much better. You know, when you have no control of the golf ball, have been in bogey city and just want to be done.

But I really like 18. I think it is easier to shoot a good 9 compared with a good 18. It seems to be more of an accomplishment of playing a good 18. I know too often I smoke up the front (for me) with a 38 or 37 then on the back I shoot a 43 or 44.

But I play 9 with my wife. She is brand new and I taught her how to properly pick up the ball and put it in her pocket. 18 would be too much for her. She plays only about 5 or 6 holes and that is enough for her. So I only play 9 with her.

Brian

I love playing 18 and would prefer to do that all the time but due to a busy work and home schedule 9 just makes more sense. Also my 6 year old daughter has started playing with me and 18 holes would be to much for her. Also I can get up on early Sunday morning play 9 holes and be back home just as my wife and daughter are getting up for the day. My wife is a lot more happy with that then if I was gone all morning.

Mark

My pathetic bag that will hopefully be updated by next Spring.
5 Wood: Palm Springs
3-P Irons: Palm Springs
56deg Sand Wedge: Upswing Golf
58/10 Lob Wedge: Nike Victory Red Putter: Odyssey two ball putter srt Ball: Top Flight D2 Feel

I personally don't like to play 9 holes........can't even remember the last time that I did. But if the only options were to play 9 holes or not at all, I'd suck it up!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love playing 18 and would prefer to do that all the time but due to a busy work and home schedule 9 just makes more sense. Also my 6 year old daughter has started playing with me and 18 holes would be to much for her. Also I can get up on early Sunday morning play 9 holes and be back home just as my wife and daughter are getting up for the day. My wife is a lot more happy with that then if I was gone all morning.

Speaking the truth. If she isn't happy, no one is.

Brian

I like to play 9 hole courses. When I was in high school our team would get out of school at 3:30 ride in the school mini van,lol, 20 minutes to the local 9 hole course. We would play 9 holes and then head back home. This was perfect timing for the early spring. I now live beside an 18 hole course and enjoy playing on this course as well. Really I just like to play golf, so i don't mind either way 9 of 18 holes.

Sometimes I wish a full round was 13-14 holes. On occasion the last couple holes of an 18 hole round get long and I get tired/lose focus.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

Also...does anyone prefer 9 over 18 holes?

I agree....sometimes you can sneak in 9 when the time just isn't there for full rounds.

Also, walking 9 doesn't really take anything out of you.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

27 holes feels like the perfect round of golf for me.... I always end up wishing I could play just a few more holes after I play 18.

• 2 years later...

12 holes is probably about right...but I do love 9.  I have two kids and a busy job andI am always able to sneak in 9.  Committing to 18 seems to be much more daunting.

Also, I feel like I lose mental focus around the 14th hole...I understand that that is a weakness in my game, but 9 just seems so natural and flowing.  9 is definitely the wave of the frenetic future.

-Rick

It all depends.

I have 3 kids and an extremely busy family and work schedule....especially when school is in session and the days are shorter which is the case early and late in the golf season.  If I can get out of work early (rare event lately) or otherwise have limited time, then it's 9 holes. This weekend I dropped one of my daughters off at her gym on Saturday morning and had just enough time to play 9 before picking her up again.  I bought 18 holes but will play the second 9 this Saturday when I repeat the process.  Rain or shine.   9 holes is better than none.

When I have time, I prefer to play 18.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!