IGNORED

9 holes vs 18 holes?

Note: This thread is 3889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I almost always play 9 holes.  Playing 18 holes walking can be a long day, not to mention it can get expensive.  Im perfectly happy playing 9 holes.  That way I can go out for 2 hours, play my 9 and still have plenty of time left for all the other things that I need to get done.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I used to play 9 holes a lot before work, after work, etc.  But since I started my own firm about 6 years ago, I prefer 18 holes as I can afford to make up my work in the evenings or nights.

One of the perks of being my own boss.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I enjoy a quiet 9 holes after work by myself.     It allows me to really focus on what I'm doing and working on.      Its far less crowded than weekends playing 18 when fighting the feeling of getting pushed and balls getting hit into you.    Maybe I just like the after work de-stress.      I like to walk 9 holes, my back won't take walking 18, so that involves a cart.     Weekends are for fishing anyways

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I actually prefer a quick 9 over 18...but only on weekdays. I find it simply takes too much time away from my weekday work schedule to play 18. On weekends I'm an 18 guy, but I'll stick to a quick 9 any other time!

• 1 year later...

Well, now I am perplexed.  I have posted on another thread why the seemingly nine hole rounds are so popular as evidenced by the number of postings in the "what did you shoot today" thread being 9 holes more often posted than 18 (unless it is pure coincidence at the time of my reading). In the current thread, it looks as though most prefer 18 holes. If that is the case, why the preponderance of nine hole postings?  I never really got a response before and although I am not sure, I think my post got deleted or moved. Perhaps I was off topic at the time, I really do not remember specifically when or where I posted it.   I guess I am old fashioned or something, but TO ME, a round of golf consists of 18 holes. OTOH, this months Golf Digest suggests otherwise and it would seem that nine hole play is being encouraged.  If somebody tells me they shot lets say 41 on the front nine, but fails to mention what the back nine was, to me that is NOT indicative of their actual play.   Or maybe I am simply reading more into it than I should.   Moot point I suppose.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

This is an old thread, but most of the nine hole rounds to which you're referring are after work rounds mid-week.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

Most of the nine hole rounds to which you're referring are after work rounds mid-week.....

Yah, I guess so. That would certainly be a plausible explanation.  One reason I mention it is, that I have seen members stating:  "I shot a 41, or 43, or saying something like "I only went over 50 once this year".  Then again, what you said would account for that, especially in today's busy, hectic, work place. There are only so many hours to devote to whatever pastime you are persuing.  Like I said, I am reading more into it than I should and should concentrate on my own scores and rounds.

Oh.....and one reason for posting on this "old thread" was to ensure it would not get moved as has happened before. A thread might be "old" but not necessarily to me and we are encouraged to research subject lines before posting which is exactly what I did and it seemed to fit.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I started playing golf my Jr year of high school, walked to the 9-hole municipal course next to my school every day when classes let out during the fall season. Bottom line is that I am used to playing 9 holes at a time. Over the years, becoming more passionate about the game, I feel strongly as others do and want more. So now I strongly prefer to play 18 but still love to play 9 before or after work. Time management is the largest deciding factor currently.  Still walk everything too

Putter:   - Zing 2

Wedge:  49° 54° & 58°

Irons:     - ADX 100; 4-10

Hybrid:  - 909H

Driver:   - '09 Burner

Depends what I got time for and how crowded the course is. I usually play alone, so if I'm playing 18 holes I prefer walking out when nobody has teed off the past 1-1.5 hours. I don't play a round of golf alone behind a full course, taking closer to 5 hours.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I usually walk 9 in the evening after work. Keeps the expense down with twilight rates and no cart fees. When I worked at a golf course, and it was free, I would play 36 on my days off. But now I don't have the time or money for that. So I typically enjoy an evening stroll by myself.

Note: This thread is 3889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!