IGNORED

Extra fee to have a non-golfer ride along in your cart?

gsu_paintballer
Note: This thread is 2570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Welcome to TST.   You posted a thought provoking message.   Glad you found our forum.   Don't be a stranger.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, GolfTheSimpleTruth said:

... any facility is within their right to charge an additional fee for a rider in that cart who might not be playing golf.

Of course it is within their right to charge. But it doesn't necessarily make it a logical business policy.

As you and others have said, if there's a good reason for the charge, such as the course being busy and pairing up singles, then it's completely reasonable to charge full price for a non-player.

I can't think of too many other instances where charging full price seems reasonable to me. If they want to charge a reduced fee during slow periods, I'd even be ok with that.

A course is allowed to charge for whatever they want just as golfers are allowed to choose where they play. In my area, there are just too many choices.

Jon

Try this one on for size! Way back when I was a kid (I'm 64) my Dad, and the next door neighbor, decided to take me to a golf course to walk around with them, watch, and learn. My job was to drag my Dad's pull cart around the course and keep score.

When informed of our plan the owner got all huffy and puffy and wanted to charge as if I were playing! I recall the discussion getting quite heated, and thinking my Dad was going to go over the counter at the guy! Eventually the owner relented but only for that one time, to which my Dad responded, "Fine! There are plenty of other places where I can spend my money!"

The course owner was a class A total a**hole, and eventually ran so many people off that he lost the course due to lack of business!

18 hours ago, GolfTheSimpleTruth said:

Most people might not like my answer but it's what I've formulated and seems to work.

The premise is "a round of golf." Whether 9 or 18 holes, the fee charged is "an access fee" to play a stipulated "round." This access is a contract for play on foot. As a courtesy, a club might offer a pull cart a golfer can rent, or a motorized cart, a golfer may lease and ride in, to complete their stipulated round of golf. In the case of a motorized golf cart, this is a separate contract for which the lessee is responsible for all fees to rent the cart, their property and persons contained therein, and any damage caused by their negligent use of that motorized cart.

As a separate contract, any facility is within their right to charge an additional fee for a rider in that cart who might not be playing golf. This is no different than a movie theater that charges a ticket price for someone who just wants to have a place to sit down or enjoy a tub of popcorn. Or a restaurant goer who wants a cool comfortable place to sit and enjoy some free ice water on a hot day. Neither of these happen because policies are in place that are adhered to. Somewhere along the line, golf was allowed to be concerned about who we might offend by charging a just fee for someone to "ride along" that is doing the identical same thing as a golfer playing the golf course. Everyone makes the mistake of "assuming" a cart fee is what is paid to move from one golf shot to the next. No, it is a fee paid to traverse the golf course by motorized fashion.

Many municipalities and parks have regulations in place that are born from liability issues. If a body is in a cart you pay a "rider fee." No exceptions. This is no different than having a policy that says only TWO golf bags are allowed per cart and only TWO persons are allowed at one time to ride in that cart. Any breach of this rule renders all insurance void in the event of some sort of accident. 

Many for profit equity clubs operate daily on numerous gestures of "goodwill." As such, in periods of "non peak" play, they might allow a rider to go along with you and NOT charge you the separate rider fee. Understand, this is and was a gesture of goodwill extended to you as "a one off event." It is not the norm. It is not to be construed every time you just show up as though you're entitled to it. If you use it to threaten to take your business elsewhere then also understand your business elsewhere WILL ALSO GET CHARGED A RIDER FEE DURING PEAK PLAY! 

Singles and twosomes have no standing on the golf course. By paying your fees, you understand that other golfers you do not know will be paired with you. That is how the business works. If you don't like this, I encourage you to take your business elsewhere. Please don't use the excuse that 1's and 2's are what grows this game. No, singles and deuces destroy the flow of a golf course on busy days. The same holds true FOR INSISTING you get a rider in your cart for free. Just because I may not have had a body to put in that cart with you at that precise moment you came to play golf does not extend the right to you to put a friend or child in that empty seat next to you as a result.

Bottom line, if you "just show up" expecting to have your friend or companion ride with you at no charge, then you are out of bounds! You should be charged simply on the audacity of it all. The best policy for all concerned is to investigate the club's policy in advance. You also should let them know in advance that you have a rider. There is no "this happened last minute." Well guess what? Our course is also completely full last minute.

If our sport is to the point that free cart riders are "a bargaining chip" to gain future business then our sport is in trouble. And if you the golfer insist that your "free cart rider" is something you are entitled to as a Buy One, Get One Free" then I would prefer you go elsewhere to play the next course we're about to see go out of business.

I operate from the simple premise that my objective is to put TWO bodies in every cart that goes out on the golf course. If I am unable to do that, then that obligation does not extend to you as a "value added" enticement to purchase. It extends to me SOLELY as a courtesy to you. You will need my permission each and every time to allow for that rider at no charge.

We currently charge a "replay fee" of $14 or $12 depending on the day. This is a cart fee. Expect your rider to pay the same because they are in fact doing the identical same thing at the beginning and for a replay since the green fee was paid at the onset of the contract with no regard for a motorized cart.

Tell me which city in the US allows a friend to ride the city bus or trolley with you for free because you graced them with your business? Once we have a clear cut vision that this is the norm nationwide, then I will gladly give your rider a seat for free while I have a line waiting to play golf because there are no golf carts available.

Congratulations, you sound like a real upstanding guy.

• Upvote 1

Here is the downside to this. What stop the person riding along form using your clubs to hit shots? Now he is not just riding around, he's playing with out paying. 

I have no issue with courses charging a fee or requiring all golfers on the course pay the green's fee. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

What stop the person riding along form using your clubs to hit shots?

Integrity, self-respect, honesty...

Very few people are that dishonest, and those who are would be easily discovered.

There are plenty of courses which allow players to bring along a non-player on a slow day. You guys are making this way too complicated. It's not that big of a deal one way or the other.

Jon

On 5/26/2009 at 7:10 AM, 1par2win said:

I was told once that it's a liability issue. According to this source, by paying green fees or in this case a cart fee the golf course is not liable for any injuires incurred by a golf ball, flying clubs, or whatever. The point of sale is the agreement. If someone were not to have paid the course could be held liable since there was no transaction. I have no idea if this is true or not and my source who is an honest guy isn't a course owner but at the time I heard it it made sense. Now I am curious about this. I'm going to dig into this further.

I have been told this liability scenario several times too, when my wife wanted to tag along. . 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Responding to those that originally posted in this thread probably won't elicit a response, since the thread is 8 years old...

;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Responding to those that originally posted in this thread probably won't elicit a response, since the thread is 8 years old...

;-) 

It's interesting though that some of the issues are perennials. I always wonder if we really should restart a new post, or just bump the old ones.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Just be a walker and avoid all this hassle.  Which makes me wonder.. has anyone had a course charge you for wanting to bring along a non-playing walking friend?  If not then that seems to rule out the liability reason mentioned earlier since the person is still out there potentially getting hit by clubs and balls.

When my wife comes on Vacation with me, she likes to ride along.   Usually this is in Arizona, as we have family there.   

I play pretty nice courses down there, and they never charge her.   Ever.  it's never even been suggested that there would be a fee for her to ride along.  Maybe when you are paying $90+ green fees, they don't care much about a few extra bucks for a rider.   But, I think that kinda debunks the whole liability theory.   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I have an older family friend that sometimes comes with me. He's 73 has never golfed and likes to get out see the course and get a little exercise. At the home course they don't care and I don't even tell them he's riding. We've booked a few family rounds at resort courses I haven't been to before and I've paid for a 4some when we are 3 so they don't put a single with us if he wants to come along.

Dave :-)

On 4/9/2017 at 2:22 PM, Strandly said:

Just be a walker and avoid all this hassle.  Which makes me wonder.. has anyone had a course charge you for wanting to bring along a non-playing walking friend?  If not then that seems to rule out the liability reason mentioned earlier since the person is still out there potentially getting hit by clubs and balls.

Yes! See my post above. And back then almost nobody rode! Everybody walked! My Dad and next door neighbor were simply trying to show me the game.

Note: This thread is 2570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!