IGNORED

Unsolicited Advice

jrm1493
Note: This thread is 1740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Funny subject this because I believe it all has do with our own boundaries of what we find helpful or insulting our intelligence,and this can depend on the person we are playing with and their way of delivering the advice.
My best friend is a 13 handicapper but he can annoy me because he gets too technical about the golf swing on the course,but he has stopped giving me advice probably because I hold my own.
Although I went out with a work colleague and he is a 10 and he didn't offer one piece of swing mechanics for me,but helped enormously with club selection on a windy day at his home track.

The annoying thing is friends who are shooting worse than me telling me what to do prior to my shot,but that has tailed off too.
So yes it can depend on the playing partner,your ability,and whether you percieve the advice as intrusive.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Tell the advice giver that your PGA Pro doesn't agree with his advice, and his teachings probably carry more weight than his... That'll shut him up.

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

If i choose to give a player advice on the tee, then he'd better take heed and listen. My wisdom is only given so often. Cherish it.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• 10 years later...
On 5/26/2009 at 8:39 AM, jorruss said:

Tell the advice giver that your PGA Pro doesn't agree with his advice, and his teachings probably carry more weight than his... That'll shut him up.

I used to be nice and just humor those guys, but they dont go away...as soon as you start listening they just go on and on...that's what I'm going to say next time "I'll bring it up to my PGA teacher when I next see him but I dont make changes to my swing unless he says so"...If they come back with something after that I'll ask for their PGA pro card so he and my instructor can discuss my game...one guy literally told me to "fold my left elbow in my backswing' now I understand it's not imperative to keep your left arm 100% straight but...its a common fundamental to keep your left arm straight (especially if ur just starting, it's a good thing simple thing to think about)...I'm a 6 hc btw...funny thing is my shots were fine... nice high draws landing near target...so I dont know what this guy was doing...the craziest thing is that I have never once on the range even noticed anyones swing but my own...which leads me to believe people like this go out there with the intention of critiquing others...

On 5/26/2009 at 8:39 AM, jorruss said:

They really stupid thing these idiots dont get is that they may be talking to someone just starting out and could be implanting all sorts of bad habits...I've seriously never even noticed someone else's swing on the range cause I'm focused on my own...do these guys just go and watch for someone hitting bad shots and then pounce?

On 5/25/2009 at 10:36 PM, wedge player said:

its wierd ive never got unsolicited advice on the course well there was one time someone told me i should wear golf shoes,but that was back wen i didnt have any tongue.png

20 years ago and still the best true advice I’ve ever been given.   All others, meh.

• iacas changed the title to Unsolicited Advice
On 5/25/2009 at 9:09 PM, shankapotamus said:

Was he giving advice like your friend was an idiot, or was he just trying to be nice but got annoying?

In my opinion, there is no difference! If the dude coughing up all the advice isn't self aware enough to recognize what he's doing, he's an idiot! 

One time I had a horrible problem with less than full pitches. I would routinely shank them! After yet one more failed pitch, my buddy said, "I see what you're doing wrong, and if you want me to, I'll tell you."

After a millisecond's consideration I said, "YES! Tell me what I'm doing wrong!" He explained it to me and I have almost never shanked a partial chip since. I appreciate the fact that he asked me if I wanted his advice, rather than just diving in and offering it. 

I've played this game a long time, and can recognize obvious swing faults with my bare eyes, but will NEVER offer unsolicited advice! As a local golf author wrote, "Unsolicited advice is a headache looking for a forehead to run into!" 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know what you mean, but if the advice (for example) was to putt from a few feet off the green rather than skulling a wedge over the back, leading to four more shots, I'd probably say something too.

Note: This thread is 1740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!