IGNORED

"Three (3) Clubs Only" Master Thread

huphtur
Note: This thread is 1283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Problem solved- turns out that it is 3 clubs + a putter according to the guy running the league who I ran into just before teeing off today.  He said that previously it was 4 clubs with some guys bringing no putter.  I had asked this question several times in the shop and the only definitive answer I had gotten was 3 clubs total.  So, the 6, 8 and pw went back to the car and were replaced by the 7 and 52 to go along with the 5w and putter.

4 clubs makes it MUCH easier than 3, but there were still a few times I wished I was teeing off with 3w instead of the 5w or could hit 6 or 8 instead of the 7.  I also flew the green and ended up in the hazard with a good choke down 5w on the 218 par 3 3rd- frustrating because I thought me distance to the back pin was good and thought I would be looking at a 15' for birdie but ended up with one of two doubles.  The other double came at 16 when I was pressing too much with the 5w to carry the hazard- we were down wind so I didn't need to press, but it was hard to convince myself of that.  The 52 proved very versatile for me and played well out of the wet sand which I found 4 times- the most all year for me.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

• 2 months later...
Hi guys, Our club have a '3 club competition' on Sunday and I thought it would be interesting to see what other people would go with. Obviously it would might depend on the course. I'm thinking of using 5 iron and 9 iron - but still undecided. Any thoughts? *the putter must be one of the clubs!* Martin

Cobra AMP 9.5* driver Nike VR Pro 15* 3W Nike VR 19* 5W Titleist AP1 irons 4-PW Nike VR Pro wedges 50.10 56.10 - Nike VR wedge 58.10 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter Pro V1x ball

• 2 years later...

Hey,

once a year, my local club has a fun tournament, the three club tournament. So basically, you are only allowed to take 3 clubs of your choice for the round, instead of the usual 14. It usually is a lot of fun, of course you are forced to get somewhat creative.

What would be your approach? Which clubs would be in the bag? Unfortunately, I'm not sure whether I can attend this year (its next Saturday), but I am thinking about taking 3w, 6i and 50° with me. 50° will be used for putting as well (blading the wedge)

We do a 3-club tourney every spring at my home club.  I usually use this criteria to choose clubs:

I want to be able to reach most of the par 4s with two shots.  I can do this with my 19-degree hybrid.

I like to have a semi-normal shot to at least a couple of the par-3 holes, while still using the same club for my second on some of the moderate-length par 4s.  This works out to a 7-iron.  I have to take a little off it on the 3s, but need the little extra distance for the 4s.

I need something with loft around the greens.  I can choose either my 52 or 56 wedge, depending on how I'm feeling about wind and rough.

I practice with both the hybrid and the wedge for putting.  Neither works reliably well, but that's a compromise you have to make in this format.  I find the hybrid is a better choice for longer putts, easier to make consistent contact and distance without popping it up, short putts the wedge is better to get more consistent direction.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5W, 7I, and GW.  I know from past experience that I can comfortably putt with the 5W.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

In high school when I played on the golf team we occasionally played a 3 or 4 club round. Our home course I found myself hitting driver and wedge or less into pretty much all the par 4s so I would typically play something like Driver, 6 iron and pw. It allowed me to play the par 3's normal, the par 4's somewhat normal and the par 5's i had to play as par 5's. My biggest struggle was the putting with a wedge.

3H, 7 iron and 54 deg wedge. I can use the 54 for all my short game shots and can putt with it pretty well. 3H gives me long game options too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Hybrid, 7 iron, 56 degree

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3W, 5i and 52 gap.  Not sure which I'd use to putt with.  Probly the edge of the gap wedge. 

Edited by Avalanche

Hmmm... I honestly don't know which would be my best options.

I'm thinking my 4 iron, 7 iron and 56 degree wedge. I'd probably putt with the 4 iron. I know that, on most courses, 4 iron from the tee would leave me between 100 and 200 yards to most holes. 7 iron is a safer bet for most par 3 holes I play... and I can still take enough off to play to some of the 140 and under holes.

I think it'd be fun to play a tournament like that!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Depends on the course.  If your club averages 400yd par 4's and 160yd par 3's I'd take a 3w, 7i, and PW.

You, being a low single digit, should be able to handle anything 400yds or less.

3w can double as your putter.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

For me, sadly, it doesn't matter.  If I had to choose only 3 clubs it would be 5w, 7-i and putter.  Can't put with anything but and I've seen people try to putt with wedges in this type of format.  If you don't practice it a LOT, it's tough to hole even a 2-3' putt with a wedge.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

On 4/27/2016 at 6:49 AM, disaster said:

...What would be your approach? Which clubs would be in the bag? ... I am thinking about taking 3w, 6i and 50° with me. 50° will be used for putting as well (blading the wedge)

I like your selection.  As someone else said, the par 3 yardages would dictate whether it should be 5, 6, or 7 iron.  Wedge of some sort is needed around the greens.  And a club you can hit for decent distance off the tee and for longer approaches.

Brian Kuehn

On 28.4.2016 at 6:32 PM, dave s said:

Can't put with anything but and I've seen people try to putt with wedges in this type of format.  If you don't practice it a LOT, it's tough to hole even a 2-3' putt with a wedge.

dave

That was kinda how it went today ;) I did play the tournament, I went with 3w, 6i, 50° as planned and I shot +9. I missed alone 5 shots on the green which I would have surely saved with a putter (not even talking about the 5-10 feet putts which you also would hole a significant amount).

Still, it was a lot of fun. My shot of the day was a 3w from 190yds. 6i was not an option, as there was a bunker in front of the green (and I wanted to avoid bunkers as much as possible, due to not having the appropriate club with me)

I usually carry my 3w approx. 230yds, so I had to take off quite a bit. Hit a huge swinging slice with a shortened swing to take enough distance off and hit it to about 10 feet.

Edited by disaster

Personally I dislike the whole concept of a three club tournament. They didn't design courses for only three clubs. But hey, each to their own.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, 9wood said:

Personally I dislike the whole concept of a three club tournament. They didn't design courses for only three clubs. But hey, each to their own.

So don't play in them. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!