IGNORED

"Three (3) Clubs Only" Master Thread

huphtur
Note: This thread is 1310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just about every 3 club tourney I have been a part of was for a charity of some sort. That in itself makes the tournament a worth while endeavor.

Myself, most of the time,  I use a 5w, mid iron, and a wedge. I putt with the 5w. 

Last year I got involved with a "1" club tournament. I had one those adjustable clubs that covered everything from a 2i to a putter. I did alright with it, but long iron mishits with it played hell with my fingers. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

It really isn't. 14 is simply the maximum allowed, and even that was chosen somewhat arbitrarily.

It's fine. Next time just say "get off my lawn" like a true old fart and move on. :-)

Oh, and don't ever play Battle Golf where your opponent can tell you which clubs you can't use every time they win a hole…

Alright then, let's make a poll to see which is more logical. Playing golf with 14 clubs or 3. I think you know where the poll numbers would lie. 

2 minutes ago, 9wood said:

Alright then, let's make a poll to see which is more logical. Playing golf with 14 clubs or 3. I think you know where the poll numbers would lie. 

If you want to do a good poll then make it 1 through 20 clubs. Let's see what people think is the best option. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 minutes ago, 9wood said:

I would guess the very first golfers only had 2 or 3 clubs.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, 9wood said:

You're not using the right definition of "logical." It's a game. The entire rule set is arbitrary.

There's no "logic" to it. Why is hitting the ball OB stroke and distance? Why isn't it five strokes? Two? Automatic DQ?

Because it's all arbitrary.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

I would guess the very first golfers only had 2 or 3 clubs.

Or just one club.  For golf, and for herding sheep.  Baaaa!  

I've never played a 3-club tournament before, but as a high handicapper, I can just imagine how bad I'd be putting with a wedge.  Most people on this thread are saying they'd use a wood or wedge to putt, but I can only imagine how tough that actually is.  I have putted with a 4i before, but its not the type of thing I'd feel comfortable doing for 18 holes.  My 3-club choice: 6i, 52" wedge, putter.

I think it would be fun. Hitting varying distances with different clubs is something I enjoy and believe it might actually improve my game.

I suppose my clubs would be the 5w, 7i and Gap Wedge (50°). Not sure about putting. It can be pretty ugly with a putter in my hands.

Jon

• 2 years later...

Leave out your putter. I usually go with a 5W, 6i, and a wedge, or some similar club make up. I putt with my 5 wood, using a choked down grip.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:

I would play 5, 8 and pitching wedge. I putt with the wedge well enough when around the hole. 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Agree.  No putter.  Very easy to belly a wedge.

Usually a hybrid, 6 or 7-iron, and a wedge.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

This sounds like a blast.  I think I would do Driver, 7i, 52.  Those are the 3 I use most often anyway.  My driver is only a 210 club, so more like a 5w for most of you guys.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

3 minutes ago, millsan1 said:

This sounds like a blast.  I think I would do Driver, 7i, 52.  Those are the 3 I use most often anyway.  My driver is only a 210 club, so more like a 5w for most of you guys.

What happens on longer holes?  Longer par 4s or par 5s are the examples I have in my head where your second shot would be too long for your 7i.  Basically the problem I'm thinking of is that you would want something you could hit off the deck but still good for teeing off with, and drivers generally don't do well off the deck...

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

22 minutes ago, amished said:

What happens on longer holes?  Longer par 4s or par 5s are the examples I have in my head where your second shot would be too long for your 7i.  Basically the problem I'm thinking of is that you would want something you could hit off the deck but still good for teeing off with, and drivers generally don't do well off the deck...

Same thing that happens now, I pull out my 7.

I do not hit my 5w nor hybrid very well, so I go to my 7i, as I know I can hit that 150 yards, 90% of the time.  Where my 5w is 200 yards, 50% of the time. 

Where I am in my game, I am aiming to get bogey on 4s and 5s, so the extra stroke using a shorter club more often is OK for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

21 hours ago, amished said:

What about people choosing a 6 iron as their longest club?  They would have the same problem, except off the tee.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:39 AM, amished said:

You could go driver off the tee, then a choked down, 3/4 swing driver off the deck. Drivers off the deck are usually associated with full swings, which is what gives the golfer problems. A shorter, more controlled swing not so much.

Or, leave out the driver, and go with a 3W off the tee, and fairway shots. 

In a 3 club tourney, everyone has to come with something to use to their advantage, based on their own skill level. The golfer plays to their own strengths.  They may lose something off the tee, but make up the difference with their shorter shots. Or they gain off the tee, and lose on the shorter shots due to their 3 club selection. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 1310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!