IGNORED

"Three (3) Clubs Only" Master Thread

huphtur
Note: This thread is 1310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would use either my 3wood or hybrid as club 1
as club 2 I would use my 7 iron
and as club 3 I would use either my 56* or my 48*

all depends on how long par 4s are.

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

to me you bring a 3wood and for most courses off the tee that will bring you to within 6-7 iron range. Look at the course yardages for par 4s and calculate how much you wil have left after you tee off with your 3wood. Bring that club and then bring a wedge. Use the blade of the wedge to putt, its alot shorter than putting with a 5 wood

Use the blade of the wedge to putt, its alot shorter than putting with a 5 wood

completly agree with putting with the blade of the wedge rather then the wood or hybrid. sometimes when im just playing a practice round to work on new things I wont even bring my putter so I can bring a differnt club and will just use my pw blade. I also put with my pw if my round is in the shitter cause i dont feel like carrying more clubs around. lol

WITB:

dont think this would be a good combo for the par 5's tho, unless you are good at hitting your driver off the deck

How long are the par 5s you're thinking of? Every par 5 I play is reachable in 3 with a drive and two 7 iron shots.

How long are the par 5s you're thinking of? Every par 5 I play is reachable in 3 with a drive and two 7 iron shots.

And you are essentially a scratch golfer. Most of us aren't even close to that and never will be. Only 2 of the par 5 holes on my home course would be reachable for me that way, and one of them would still require 3 perfect shots to get there. My 230 yard drive still leaves a lot of work on a 520 yard hole.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

id rather be greenside or pitching distance after hitting two 3 woods than hitting 3 full shots to reach the green.

And you are essentially a scratch golfer. Most of us aren't even close to that and never will be. Only 2 of the par 5 holes on my home course would be reachable for me that way, and one of them would still require 3 perfect shots to get there. My 230 yard drive still leaves a lot of work on a 520 yard hole.

Fair enough.

id rather be greenside or pitching distance after hitting two 3 woods than hitting 3 full shots to reach the green.

That second 3 wood would not leave me in better shape than a 7i, and this is assuming a monster par 5. But, to each there own I suppose. You know your game better than I do.

That second 3 wood would not leave me in better shape than a 7i, and this is assuming a monster par 5. But, to each there own I suppose. You know your game better than I do.

Im just saying on a par 5, you are going to be alot closer to the green hitting two 3 woods (one off the tee, 2nd off the deck) than hitting Driver off the tee and 7 iron for second shot. I dont know about you but most of the people I know; the closer they are to the green, the higher the chance they will actually hit the green with their shot

Fair enough.

Another thing to consider is that I've never seen one of these tournaments where you played from your normal tees. They usually move you up at least one tee box shorter than you would normally play from. The times that my men's club did it, we played from the forward tees at 5720 yards. That made driver unnecessary, and made the tournament a lot more fun.

Rick

Thanks fellas...the big question was always the Par 3's..think the 24* hybrid, 7 iron and 52* gap should do it. Appreciate the input.

OK, so what happened? Please report results

OK, so what happened? Please report results

agreed Ive been waiting to hear how this turned out.

WITB:

This thread reminds me of a comment that David Leadbetter made years ago - for the average golfer who cannot break 100, he contended they would shoot a personal best if they carried just a 7 iron and a putter. I think his point was that the typical duffer ends up wasting so many strokes getting out of the woods that they would settle down and get a consistent (and relatively straight) 130 ~ 140 yards, and find themselves on the green much sooner than when they have a bag full of long irons and drivers.

I have seen golfers that absolutely would benefit from that strategy. Actually, on some days I am that golfer.

Cleveland Ti460 10.5*  |  Cleveland 17* Steel  |  Mizuno MP60  |  Nicklaus JN nickel plated - 52.10, 56.12, 60.09  |  Ping Anser 4
Play it like you found it.

That is hilarious.  Reminds me of my early days when on some holes the ball NEVER touched the fairway.  Left rough to right rough to left to .....  For sure if I'd been playing a 7i the whole time I'd have done better, but in the long run it isn't a good learning strategy - i.e. I wouldn't have become the bogey player you see before you now ...

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

That is hilarious.  Reminds me of my early days when on some holes the ball NEVER touched the fairway.  Left rough to right rough to left to .....  For sure if I'd been playing a 7i the whole time I'd have done better, but in the long run it isn't a good learning strategy - i.e. I wouldn't have become the bogey player you see before you now ...

Early days?  I still have lots of those holes.... but I don't hack from rough to rough to rough so much as do rough to rough to green, or rough to green.  Suffice it to say that I still spend more time in the rough than I would like.

Rick

In this context I always think of Phil's blow-up hole on a Sunday a year or two ago (forget where ...).  Drive was pulled or hooked or both (truly horrible shot - shoulda used 3W, very narrow tree-lined fairway), bounced off a roof or something and landed among trees.  Second shot ended in right rough IIRC.  Forget if he made the green on the 3rd but his ball never touched the fairway and the hole probably cost him the tournament as he was 1 or 2 up at the time.  Such is Phil.

So it doesn't just happen to the likes of you and me.  Actually I very rarely never scrape the fairway with metal these days - I've got plenty of other ways to screw up tho' ....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Just got my clubs tournament schedule the other day for 2011 and saw we will be having a 4 club tourney Im pretty excited cause i actually put pretty well with my pw blade so I might do halfway decent in that.

WITB:

Note: This thread is 1310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!