IGNORED

"Three (3) Clubs Only" Master Thread

Agreed this is what I would do also

Originally Posted by TheGeekGolfer

Alot depends on the course and what tees you'll play from (lenth of holes). In general, I would probably pick a Hybrid (tee-shots, bump-n-run around the greens, and putting), 6-iron (played full for 175yd shots or punch type shots for 150yd and down), and a wedge (probably a 52* for 100 yds and in and chip shots).

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The last time I did this I used a 3-hybrid, 6-iron, and PW.   Shot a rather pedestrian 83.     Best shot of the day was a choked down, chippy hybrid to about 4’ on a 175 yard par-3.  Missed the

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Chas

In this context I always think of Phil's blow-up hole on a Sunday a year or two ago (forget where ...).  Drive was pulled or hooked or both (truly horrible shot - shoulda used 3W, very narrow tree-lined fairway), bounced off a roof or something and landed among trees.  Second shot ended in right rough IIRC.  Forget if he made the green on the 3rd but his ball never touched the fairway and the hole probably cost him the tournament as he was 1 or 2 up at the time.  Such is Phil.

He hit a big huge push-slice. Then he hit a tree trying the heroic shot (still the left rough). Third in the bunker, fourth ran through the green - first time he was on the "right" side of the hole. Needed to chip in and failed to do so.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ha, that's funny - I forgot he's a lefty!!  I remembered him losing it left, I can still see that ball totally and wildly gone.  A push-slice into the woods, that's indeed what it was.  I also vaguely remembered a failed heroic but couldn't recall the result -  so there was another blown shot from the rough!  Thanks for setting me straight.

I also think it was one of those tee shots where the commentator said,"Oh no, he's picked driver ..... he isn't really going with that is he? ...... don't do it Phil" or something to that effect.  I usually don't mind his high-risk antics but I was agreeing with the commentator on this one.  To fail to touch the fairway in such a clutch situation - utterly crazy.

OK I give up, which tournament was it?   I could look it up but I'd rather hear it from you - no Googling now.

Originally Posted by Chas

OK I give up, which tournament was it?   I could look it up but I'd rather hear it from you - no Googling now.

Really?  The 2006 U.S. Open at Winged Foot -- fairly historic event in golf lore.  The funny thing is, everyone talks about Mickelson screwing up, but little is said about Monty.  He also finished a shot back of Ogilvy (winner).  However, he too ended with a double bogey (6), but he did it from the middle of fairway (somewhere around 170 yards iirc).

• 5 months later...
My club has a weekly 9 hole mens league where they try and change the format every week. One week coming up will be everyone only has 3 clubs in there bag. I've never done this but sounds fun. If anyone has what clubs you pick? I was thinking 3hybrid 8 or 9 iron and putter. Also thought about putting with hybrid and adding a 5 or 6 iron maybe. Any recommendations?

Originally Posted by x-man

My club has a weekly 9 hole mens league where they try and change the format every week. One week coming up will be everyone only has 3 clubs in there bag. I've never done this but sounds fun. If anyone has what clubs you pick? I was thinking 3hybrid 8 or 9 iron and putter. Also thought about putting with hybrid and adding a 5 or 6 iron maybe. Any recommendations?

I like the idea of putting with the hybrid, but for the other clubs I would go with a 6 or 7 and your favorite wedge.

We also do this twice per season, in two versions 3 or 3+Putter ......

3 clubs, my best score came from Hybrid, 6 iron, 9 iron and using the hybrid for putting aswell.

3+Putter ..... Driver, 5 iron, 9 iron + Putter

in college we played with 4 clubs and a putter from the senior/white tees at our home course every other week or so during the season.  It was great fun and our scores were pretty damn good actually, I shot 73 one day for instance.

I used 3, 7, 9, sand wedge most of the time.  It was only 6100 yards so none of us really needed anything more than a 3 iron.

A friend and I played this morning with each of us bringing 4 clubs and sharing.  I brought putter, 9i 7i and a hybrid.  He brought a putter, gap wedge, 5i, and 3i.  We found we could skip the 9i and the hybird.

I think your club selection really depeneds on the course and your length.  If you are playing a links like course I wouldn't consider bringing a wedge.  For most circumstances I'd go with my 21deg hybrid (210 club), 8 iron (150 club) and a putter.

• 1 year later...

4 Hybrid - straight and long, but can create shots and play it short if I need to.

8 Iron - I hit it better than any other iron, and again, I can play it short

putter - I am no good at using the 4h as a putter...and I tried a few times.

• iacas changed the title to 3 Club Tournament