IGNORED

My swing speed...

sp33d
Note: This thread is 5446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay So I was bored this weekend decided to take a trip to Dicks and play with some new drivers, with no intention on actually buying anything...

However, I went hit balls with a New R9 (nice club, but don't see what the hype is about) and the new Nike SQ. I keep drifting away from the subject forgive me...

SOOO the computer is telling me my club head speed is between 105 to 112, I never thought I swung that fast, anyways, guy recommended I go with X-stiff shaft (driver). I have always played stiff, and my irons regular but now I'm wondering if I need to bump my irons up to Stiff?

now the ass hole got into my head and all flustered with this debacle.

What do you guys think? as I'm buying irons soon...

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

I think definately stiff in the irons, the driver... depends on your tempo I'd imagine. You're probably borderline but if you hit the stiff driver fine then I'd keep it.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

I dont know, it depends on your tempo. But ive never seen or heard of a player that swings the club over 90mph using regular shafts. You're probably fine with the stiff shaft in your driver.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

If you are happy with your iron play I wouldn't change. Do you hook your irons excessively? I wouldn't do anything without seeing a good club fitter and have them take a look.

Brian

hmm, yeah I'm happy with my driver.

That may explain my errant shots of lately with my 4 iron. I'm always right, with most of my irons, I have a fade, but this is more than that. You think its because of my swing speed with reg/flex irons?

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*

If you are happy with your iron play I wouldn't change. Do you hook your irons excessively? I wouldn't do anything without seeing a good club fitter and have them take a look.

Its decent, but i hate my irons. Ive just had them forever. I wish someone would steal them so i would have a legitimate excuse to the women to get new ones. the groves are almost gone, they feel like crap, cant shape shots, sure I hit them way longer than i rightfully should, but accuracy is a problem.

until i get to my 7 iron I don't have pin point accuracy. My 3-4-5 somewhat 6 are shots in the dark. like last Wednesday 192 par 3, tee is set unusually farther back I usually hit a 5-6 iron, so i club up to take a nice easy swing. i float the green by 30 yards...... wtf.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*

hmm, yeah I'm happy with my driver.

It is the opposite. If they were too stiff you would slice/push. Too weak you would pull/hook. That is my understanding. If I am wrong, please tell me. So no, it isn't the shafts in your irons.

Brian

Hmm I dont know if your right or wrong. I was thinking that if the shaft was to soft it would flex and go right. but I guess i havent done much thinking about it... I will ponder this for a bit.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*

At that swing speed I think an extra stiff shaft is going to feel like a broom handle.

Your swing speed with your irons is substantially less that that of your driver. Don't forgot you're working with a shaft that's likely 43" or more.

"Never follow a bad shot with a stupid shot"

In my
Rapture 9.0
Rapture 3w Tight Lies A3KZG CBII irons with Rifle shafts 52 & 56 wedges White Hot 2 ball ProV

IMO, same ego issues with distance that drive shaft flex choices.
I believe that you should play the softest shaft that you can control. Let the shaft and club do most of the heavy lifting.

Another thing to consider is that you can order clubs with the shaft "tip cut". This will make it just slightly stiffer, but also moves the kick point a little higher. Do some research and check your swing speed with short-mid & long irons before choosing. Most shaft manufacturers list recommendations based on swing speed.

Edit- a shaft that's too stiff will typically result in a push.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I have the same swing speed as you with my driver and play S300's in my irons. Go hit a stiff shaft 6 iron and see how it feels.

Driver: Tour Burner TP 9.5* Whiteboard Stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19*
Irons: 4-pw Mp-32 S300
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56* and 60*
Putter: Newport 2 34" 340gBall: Pro-V1 or NXT-tourShoes: Adidas Tour 360 LTD

My SS hovers around 110, and I use an x-flex. Not really a big deal. Make sure the shaft has the right weight and kick point for your swing though... more to it than just flex. See a good fitter.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

Yeah I found a set up Mp60's on ebay with S300 shafts for a decent price going to watch them for a couple days. Its either MP60s or 57's i haven't entirely made up my mind.

I know my irons have been hurting my game for a while, they were great back 5-7 years ago when I sucked.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*

I dont know, it depends on your tempo. But ive never seen or heard of a player that swings the club over 90mph using regular shafts. You're probably fine with the stiff shaft in your driver.

i have a swing speed of 101, am i meant to be using stiff?

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Before you buy anything, in my experience Dick's usually bumps up the numbers on their monitor/comp. simulation. Whenever I go there, I'm hitting 3 woods 255 and drivers 280+. Check with another SS monitor to see if it was right. If it is, I think you should be able to play an x-stiff shaft. It depends what brand though as some stiffs are another brand's x-stiff.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

swing speed isnt the only factor to be used when considering which flex shaft you should use. use the whippiest shafts you can handle. it doesnt matter if your swing speed is 115mph with your driver. if you can control a stiff flex shaft, use a stiff flex shaft. if you can control a regular flex shaft, use a regular flex shaft.
i just posted this in another thread, but i know a scratch golfer who has a swing speed of around 115mph with his driver that uses a senior flex shaft in his 3 wood. why? becase he can control it and he absolutely kills it with that set-up

i have a swing speed of 101, am i meant to be using stiff?

again, not necessarily. if you can control a regular flex shaft, then you should use a regular flex shaft. use the whippiest shaft that you can CONTROL

Note: This thread is 5446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!