IGNORED

The Lure of Power

Diggitydog
Note: This thread is 6498 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Yeah...very good point...especially about Doyle. So where does all that power come from, hips, legs, core muscles, and mechanics....all of the above? And how do the ladies whack it out there 270+???? I attended the Michelob Ultra Open this year, and these ladies didn't seem to be either especially muscular (ripped), or swinging violently to get the club head speed up.

You're forgetting about one important thing, too: solid contact. That's the easiest way anyone can add distance.

Hit the ball with the center of the clubface.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With my revised / in sync tempo I am actually surprised at the distance that results from solid contact. The distance is not much reduced from my whack it a mile swing.

I read an article about the vertimax trainer for athletes. A statement that applies to golf from the article is the following. "Your brain will NOT allow your muscles to work at maximum power if your body is not in balance."

I think that applies in the golf swing as well. Good balance is crucial.

Also to scottishgolfer121. I do work out 5 days per week, I am 6'0" tall 180 pounds with 9% body fat. I do golf specific exercises and I can hit the ball big. Here is the problem. All the working out and fitness in the world will not improve your timing and rhythm with the golf club. I had all the elements in my swing except great timing. I have made an active choice back off the power game and get into hitting the ball straight. I've seen what long and wrong gets me. High Scores.

I've backed off the swing to get into good rhythm and am now hitting it around 265 to 275 (with roll) off the tee. Before 295 - 305 with roll was my tee ball. My misses are about 15 yards wide now opposed to 60 yards wide on either side. Tempo and rhythm trump all other aspects of the swing in my opinion.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

I havent been playing for very long but luckily I have learned the power lesson. Before I started taking lessons, I would go to the range and try to kill the ball with the driver and only hit 150 yds (at most). After some very good lessons, I've learned that proper mechanics is key to hitting the ball far. I can hit my driver 200yds now on 3/4 swing with no effort. My accuracy still need alot of work, but hey, I'm getting there

I played Pinch Brook in NJ a couple of days ago and my buddy and I were paired with an older couple. The wife did not hit the ball far at all but it was straight every time. I guess my point is I'd rather get the fundamentals correct first before trying to crush it (that comes later )

In my bag:

King Cobra 9.5 Driver

Tight Lies 3 Fairway Wood Zing2 3 to 9 irons, SW, PW, Putter Lob Wedge

I play regularly with a group of guys (all younger than me) who hit the ball a mile. I drive around 250 to 275 on a good day. Thing is, I will normally hit 75%+ fairways while they are spending a lot of time recovering out of the rough.

Like everyone else, it is all I can do to keep from jacking up my swing to try to reach out and touch these guys. I have to keep telling myself that my shorter drives in the fairway and my abilities around the greens will beat em if I don't get crazy. Putting and chipping will trump long drives every time at the amateur level.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

its all about logic really. i mean, you can swing real hard and maybe have one less club into the green than u would if u just swung back had a smooth transition and swung the club through. and you'll definitely be more likely to be in the fairway that way and hitting an 8 iron instead of a 9 iron. its no big deal really. and i used to say that i am less accurate when i "slow" my swing down, but all it takes is a few rounds and you get used to the different timing and such. now that i'm starting to groove the smoother tempo i hit it just as far and i can just get up on the tee and hit it without really thinking (and luckily without stretching since i'm only 17) and my drive will go relatively straight and like 270ish, which is fine with me. you just have to remind yourself that your driver is not a scoring club. now if i could just figure out how to hit my irons and one putt everyonce in awhile (or just not 3 putt) i'd be set

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

Note: This thread is 6498 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!