IGNORED

High Swing Speed, Low Compression Ball

Note: This thread is 5433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

are there any drawbacks to hitting a lower compression ball with a higher swing speed?

specifically, im talking about the bridgestone e5 vs the e6. i have been playing the e6, and it feels nice, but i feel like i need more spin. i noticed that the e5, while not a 3 piece, has a urethane cover which gives it more spin than the surlyn covered e6 - the issue is that its designed for a player with a slow swing speed.

are there any issues with this? and no, i dont want to spend any more than $25 a dozen.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

specifically, im talking about the bridgestone e5 vs the e6.

It's my understanding that the e5+ is higher compression than the e6+, so you've actually been playing a low compression ball already. The e5+ is definitely Bridgestone's mid priced high spin offering, so if it's spin you're after then the e5+ may well be the ball for you.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

It's my understanding that the e5+ is higher compression than the e6+, so you've actually been playing a low compression ball already. The e5+ is definitely Bridgestone's mid priced high spin offering, so if it's spin you're after then the e5+ may well be the ball for you.

so am i getting my terminology wrong? a softer ball is has a higher compression? my question still remains, are there any issues with performance in hitting a softer ball at a high swing speed?

Colin P.

it feels soft to me too, but im pretty sure that the e5 is softer (for people who cant compress a firmer ball).

Colin P.

so am i getting my terminology wrong? a softer ball is has a higher compression?

No you've got it right. A "softer" ball has lower compression. And the e6+ is Bridgestone's low compression mid priced ball. The only problem you'll have swinging fast on a low compression ball is that you would lose some distance. A harder ball will go farther with a higher swing speed. Inversely a slower speed will lose distance with a harder ball because they can't compress it enough for optimal launch conditions. Personally I imagine these differences are minor unless you're really swinging fast (say 120mph or more).

It also sounds like you believe the e5+ to feel softer than the e6+. I've never noticed any difference in feel between the two balls, but I don't notice much difference between any balls, so I'm not the guy to ask about that. Still Bridgestone maintains that the e5+ has higher compression than the e6+ or e7+.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

It also sounds like you believe the e5+ to feel softer than the e6+. I've never noticed any difference in feel between the two balls, but I don't notice much difference between any balls, so I'm not the guy to ask about that. Still Bridgestone maintains that the e5+ has higher compression than the e6+ or e7+.

i havent felt much difference in the feel of the ball (i only played with the e5for about 2 holes) but i was thinking that with the urethane cover it would spin more. golf digest did some testing and it showed that the e5 spins significantly more than the e6

Colin P.

I know in the past a lower compression ball would have a tendency to balloon a bit when used by a higher swing speed player, but I cant speak to whether or not that is the case with the Bridgestone. In any case, if you like the way the ball feels and performs, then that is all that matters.
Driver: FT-3 Fusion w/ YS-Power X-flex
3-wood: McHenry Metals 12 degree with UST comp X
2 iron: MP Hi-Fli 18 degree
Irons: MP-60 3-PW w/ Rifle 6.5
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52,58 degreePutter: Red X 35X3Ball: ONE Platinum

While I don't know the technical answer to your question, I am playing the e5+, and I do have a high swing speed, and I don't see any real issues with using this ball. My distance has been fine using this ball. They are worth a try for sure.

I started using them because of the cover, and I'm happy with the decision. You get less spin than the higher end Bridgestone balls, and the Pro Vs, but its an improvement over surlyn balls IMHO.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

so am i getting my terminology wrong? a softer ball is has a higher compression?

you won't be hitting the ball as far as you would if you used a harder ball. As at impact the ball absorbs the energy from the club and thats how it moves. With a softer ball it absorbs more of the energy than a firmer ball so it doesn't have that extra energy to go further.

Basically physics tells you it will go further if you have a high swing speed and use a harder ball.

In The Bag:
Driver: r7 460 (9.5)
Fairway Woods: r7 CGB Max (3,5)
Hybrid:r7 CGB Max
Irons:AP2Wedges:Vokey Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52/8, 56/14, 60/4)Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Balls:Pro V1x 2009

• Administrator
Basically physics tells you it will go further if you have a high swing speed and use a harder ball.

To add to this, here's how it goes: a firmer ball will ALWAYS have more ball speed than a softer ball.

The only reason to use a softer ball for distance off the tee is if you don't generate enough spin with the firmer ball(s) - something that's highly unlikely with a high swing speed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No you've got it right. A "softer" ball has lower compression. And the e6+ is Bridgestone's low compression mid priced ball. The only problem you'll have swinging fast on a low compression ball is that you would lose some distance. A harder ball will go farther with a higher swing speed. Inversely a slower speed will lose distance with a harder ball because they can't compress it enough for optimal launch conditions. Personally I imagine these differences are minor unless you're really swinging fast (say 120mph or more).

Good answer chief broom.

Note: This thread is 5433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!