Sign in to follow this  
DrJeffDC

Best Tournament Format

Note: This thread is 4192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 posts / 945 viewsLast Reply

My friends and I ( 8 of us ), are having our 5th annual Poker/Golf Tournament.
Every year on Father's Day weekend, we play golf on Friday, followed by Poker. Golf on Saturday, followed by Poker.

What I'm looking for is something different in the format. I generally like to keep it where everyone hits their own shot, because we use the Callaway scoring system in the end to determine an overall champion.

Any interesting formats you guys have used for side bets, mini formats, etc...??

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Dr. J

Any interesting formats you guys have used for side bets, mini formats, etc...??

I used to play a great game for 4 players called "Inside Out". Players play in 2 man teams against the other 2 players, and the scoring is done on a point system based on the combined team score for that hole. For example, if team A scores 3 & 4 on a hole, their team score is 34. If team B has 4 & 5, their team score is 45. The difference: 45-34= 11 points, and team A wins 11 points for that hole. You can set the monetary value of the points to whatever you want. We usually make it 10 cents a point, but sometimes we do 25 cents or more.

The two fun parts of the game are this: 1. Players tee off based on the honors from the previous hole. When all four players have hit their tee shots, the two players on the inside and the two players on the outside become partners for that hole. In other words, if 2 players hit in the right rough and left rough respectively, and the other 2 are in the fairway, the two in the fairway become partners and the two in the rough become partners. It gets interesting when someone hits into trouble, and the other players have to aim away to avoid becoming that person's partner! 2. The other factor that makes things interesting: When a player makes a birdie, the other team's score is flipped. So, if we are playing a par 5: Team A makes 4-5, team B makes 5-6. The scores would normally be 45 to 56 with an 11 point difference, but because team A had a birdie, team B's score flips from 56 to 65. Now the difference is 45-65, or 20 points. If both teams have birdies they cancel each other out. If an eagle is scored, you double the other team's score. 56 would become 112. Ouch. The magic of this game is, you can shoot 72 and lose, or 80 and win. It all depends on who your partner is when the birdies or eagles are made. It's a fun game and keeps people talking, because on one hole you may be rooting for your partner and be rooting against him on the next! Keep in mind that it can get a bit expensive when the points are set at 25 cents and higher. I once played this game at $1/point and lost over $200, all while shooting 70.

I used to play a great game for 4 players called "Inside Out". Players play in 2 man teams against the other 2 players, and the scoring is done on a point system based on the combined team score for that hole. For example, if team A scores 3 & 4 on a hole, their team score is 34. If team B has 4 & 5, their team score is 45. The difference: 45-34= 11 points, and team A wins 11 points for that hole. You can set the monetary value of the points to whatever you want. We usually make it 10 cents a point, but sometimes we do 25 cents or more.

Sounds fun, but hard to keep good track at a annual outing with the beer flowing!

I used to play a great game for 4 players called "Inside Out".

Ouch is right! I LIKE THAT GAME!

Question: If team A gets an Eagle and a Birdie is Team B's score flipped AND doubled???

I personally like playing Wolf with all my buddies, it is probably my favorite golf game. If you need to know how to play let me know since its kind of a long explanation.

I personally like playing Wolf with all my buddies, it is probably my favorite golf game. If you need to know how to play let me know since its kind of a long explanation.

I love playing wolf also. I think it's better for 5 guys, and since he's most likely going 4 and 4, it may be a little less competitive (2 vs. 1 on some holes). But, it's definately a game you could easily lose (or make) a lot of money.

I don't know any crazy formats, but I always think junk or garbage or whatever you call it makes things more interesting. Sandies (up and down from sand for par or better), birdies, partner pars, polies (a made put from outside the length of the flag stick), greenies (on par 3s and par 5s), chip ins (for par or better), and doubling junks for the hole if your team gets 2 junk on one hole. It can be tough to keep track of if you do something like wolf, but it makes each hole and each shot more crucial since they are usually worth some money. I also like doing a 6-6-6 match so the partners are always switched up. That way, everybody who goes gets to play with everybody else, both with and against. Try a point system like 1 point for each won hole and .5 points for each tied hole. Add up points at the end of each round and find out who had the most points between the two days.

Note: This thread is 4192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!