IGNORED

19* hybrid, 19* 5 wood, what is the difference?

Note: This thread is 2777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking to add a 19 degree club to my bag. The only wood in it currently is a driver. What are the adv/disadv of a 5 wood? What are the adv/disadv of a hybrid?

The hybrids are designed to get the ball up off the fairway easily, and land softly on the green. Not much different than a 5 wood, honestly, but overall they're supposed to be easier to hit off the grass.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

Built to standard club lengths a 19 degree hybrid will probably be in the 38.5 or 39" range. a 5 wood will probably be in the 41.5~42" range. THe extra 3 inches will probably mean a club that is slightly less accurate (depending on your swing) but will also have approx 15-25 yards more distance.

Depending on your swing and comfort level, I would try both. Some players prefer one style or the other.
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Built to standard club lengths a 19 degree hybrid will probably be in the 38.5 or 39" range. a 5 wood will probably be in the 41.5~42" range. THe extra 3 inches will probably mean a club that is slightly less accurate (depending on your swing) but will also have approx 15-25 yards more distance.

Also, a Hybrid will be around 228-230 grams in head weight and a 5-wood will be around 218 grams, giving you options for shaft weight. As stated above, the short shaft (plus lighter shaft) in hybrid will give you better control, but at a reduced distance.

What I mean about weights is this, it's easier to hit a nail square on the head with a 16-oz short claw hammer than it is with 22-oz long handled framing hammer. But with practice, you could do both really well. Like the man said above, try both.
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

I don't know your skill level, but for me, I found the 19 degree hybrid a little easier to hit different ways. The 5-wood was great, it went straight and a little further. The problem was, it was a little hard to take some yardage off it and still be consistent. With the hybrid, I am able to choke down and take a shorter back swing to take some distance off, while still being able to move the ball a little if I need to. I can hit the hybrid straight 190 or 230. When I tried 5-woods, I could hit them fine, but it was hard to ease off and hit a ball 200 yards straight. I wanted a club that I could hit between a 4-iron and a strong 3-wood, and the hybrid was easier for me for that wide of a gap.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I love my 5 wood in all lies. I struggle with hybrids. My much better friend is the opposite. the 5 wood will carry much further. For me, when i'm looking at that kind of distance, I would rather go with comfort and accuracy

Does all this mean that a 19 degree hybrid is more comparable to a 7 wood or 3 iron and not the 3 wood?

Driver: G15 9*
Fairway Wood: 904F 15* and 19*
Hybrid 3: Quickstrike II 19*
Hybrid 4: 4DX 23*
Irons: MX-23 5-PWedges: CG14 52* and 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: Laddie X or Gamer

Does all this mean that a 19 degree hybrid is more comparable to a 7 wood or 3 iron and not the 3 wood?

a 19 degree hybrid is a little stronger then a 3 iron. Some manufacturers make hybrid clubs a little longer and the general rule of thumb is that a hybrid will be about 1/2 club longer then the equivelant iron. This means that you will hit the 19 degree hybrid further then the 3 iron.

Comparing a 19 degree hybrid to a 7 wood it comes down to shot shape. I hite my 20 degree hybrid about 1 club length further then my 7 wood however most say the 7 wood should go about the same distance as the 19. You will however have alot more hight and a softer landing with a 7 wood. For me, the 19 degree hybrid is very difficult to hit out of the rough if its not up on top. the 7 wood gets the ball up in the air quicker, so it is better from the rough.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I kicked the 5w out of my bag in favor of a 3h. The reason being that I hit my 3h almost as far, but it is way more accurate and controllable than my old 5w. At my skill level and that distance, I'm just happy to keep it out of the bunkers and rough around the green allowing for more accurate chips. The 3h typically lets me do that.

In my Exodus on a 2.0
Driver..... FT-5 10* Draw
Fairway.. Big Bertha 2007 3w
Hybrids... 3DX DC 3 & 4 Ironwood
Irons...... TA6 5-DWedges.. CG-14 56* 2 dot, Niblick 37*Putter.... IC 2010

I don't carry a 5w. I carry a 2H and it hits more like an iron (and feels like one). It's shorter than my 5w, steel shafted and i hit it higher and doesn't get as "wayward" :D Still hit the 2H 220 give or take so I'm happy with it

I pulled my 19* 5W and 3i and replaced them with a 18* 3H and 21* 4H. I found I hit my Launcher 5W better, farther, and straighter than my 3H. So, I pulled the 3H and put the 5W back in. My 4H, however, is one of my favorite clubs. It's strange . . . hit really well with the 4H, and crappy with the 3H. I guess when everyone really gets down to it, it all depends on how the club hits for you.

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

I pulled my 19* 5W and 3i and replaced them with a 18* 3H and 21* 4H. I found I hit my Launcher 5W better, farther, and straighter than my 3H. So, I pulled the 3H and put the 5W back in. My 4H, however, is one of my favorite clubs.

Because your 3H at 18* is a 2-iron and your 21* 4H is a 3-iron. The lofts on those clubs is too steep to be a 3 & 4, they've gotta be 2- & 3-irons. Do they match your other set? If not, there must be a 5-8* gap between your 4H (3-iron) and your 5-iron.

I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

if you hit it relatively high go with the hybrid.... if you are a low ball hitter go with the 5-wood... the five-wood still has a lower center of gravity than a hybrid does... I played between 5-wood and 2-iron for years and years... and I hit the ball practically straight up in the air and bring it down well... but I hit it too high with the 5-wood and not high enough with the 2-iron... so the hybrid is a happy medium... in my opinion the hybrid is more versatile that the 5-wood... but the 5-wood is a better club off the tee... the hybrids haven't been perfected for off the tee yet...

In conclusion the 5-wood is good off the tee, the semi-rough and the fairway, and good higher shots...

but shots tend to get caught up in the wind with the 5-wood...

The hybrid has a slightly lower ball flight, is good practically everywhere, the only draw back is the distance isn't "consistant" of the tee (for like long par-3s and such)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try both and see what works. Ive noticed that the hybrids are a lot easier to hit from the fairways and you got a lot more control

In my Tour Bag:

Taylormade RBZ Driver, 3w, 3h
Cobra Amp Cell Irons 4i-pw
Vokey Wedges, 52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Putter

"I'd shoot an eagle anyday over a regular ol' birdie"

• 7 years later...
On 6/9/2009 at 10:03 AM, shades9323 said:

I am looking to add a 19 degree club to my bag. The only wood in it currently is a driver. What are the adv/disadv of a 5 wood? What are the adv/disadv of a hybrid?

Kind of hard for anyone to really know. Everyone's swing and physical characteristics are different not to mention their mental state and confidence level.

What have you hit in the past? FW Woods? If so how happy were you with them? Hybrids? If so how happy were you with them? The clubs you are talking about won't fix anything unless you have a swing that allows you the best possible contact with the ball. If you hit 'perfect' shots with each you'd probably have as much trouble choosing as we would for you.

Confidence, a grooved swing and great smooth easy peasy contact with the ball is all it takes with either. You don't have to be 20 or 120 to hit either club well. You just need confidence in the club and the basic ability to swing and hit the ball square on the face. The club does most of the hard work.

Doc

I carry an 18 degree 5 wood and a 17 degree hybrid.  The 5 wood (42 1/2) flights the ball very high and is easier to take something off of.  The hybrid (41) flights the ball medium and is easier to use from fluffy lies.  Time was I would carry one or the other...until I realized that the clubs in my bag were like gears on a mountain bike: you don't have to use all of them everywhere you go in order to justify bringing them along.  If I had to leave one at home?  I wouldn't.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 6/11/2009 at 7:53 AM, SandyFeet said:

Here is something I wrote up on this in March. Proper comparison would involve what type of hybrid you have:

It depends on whether you have an iron-replacement or  "traditional" hybrid.

Iron replacement hybrids have the same shaft length and loft as the numbered irons they are designed to replace.Traditional hybrids were designed as bridge clubs between long irons and FWs. They have longer shafts than the corresponding numbered irons they might replace. Mizuno offers both.

M has the JPX Fli-Hi line, which are iron replacement hybrids.

Fli-Hi 4H has 22* loft and a 38.25" shaft, the same specs as 4 irons for the JPX EZ and JPX-850 iron models.

On the other hand, Mizuno offers the JPX EZ and JPX-850 hybrids, which are traditional hybrids. The 4U model for each has 22* loft, but a 40" shaft (3/4" longer than the Fli-Hi or corresponding iron model 4i).

For entire discussion thread, see Hybrids and Length

Also, you will get trajectory variations in different hybrid head designs. The heads on Pro or Tour models tend to have less offset and higher vertical center of gravity than standard ones. Less offset cuts down on likelihood of hooks, and the VCOG position increases distance for stronger swingers (don't need extra help getting ball aloft).

For best results, do a side-by-side test of 5W, 7W and competing hybrids.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!