IGNORED

Favorite Club?

Note: This thread is 1039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite club in your set?

• Driver
    • Fairway Wood
    • Hybrid
    • 5-iron
    • 6-iron
    • 7-iron
    • 8-iron
    • 9-iron
    • Wedge
    • Putter

On 7/22/2020 at 9:49 AM, dagolfer18 said:

I love my 5W. There was a period of about a month and a half where I couldn’t hit my driver to save my life, and I was hitting 3W and 5W off the tee. I came to trust my 5W off the tee, so if my driver and even my 3W are going haywire off the tee, I can hit the 5W with confidence that I’ll find the fairway.

I’ve got a new favorite club, which is my TaylorMade 54* wedge. When I first got it, I couldn’t hit it worth two cents. But I worked with it for hours on the practice green, wanting badly to make it my most solid club around the greens. And now, it is. Give me twenty tries with a 30-yard pitch shot, and I can guarantee you that I’ll put all of them within fifteen feet, and a few inside five feet. I feel that every time I have that trusty club in my hand, I’ll take no more than three shots to get down, and if I’m right next to the green, a very confident up and down.

• Like 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3W. I love the control, the distance, and the sound I get off the tee.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

All of them.  But I will say that one of the better bag set up decisions I made was to drop a wedge (down from 4 to 3) and add another long club.  I dropped my 52* and added a 5w.  My PW is 48*.  So I go 48, 54, and 60; instead of 48-52-56-60.  Then at the longer end of my bag, I go Dr, 3w, 5w, 7w (I took out a 3h because the 7w launches higher and with more spin--perfect for long approaches into greens), 4h, 5-9. 

I know a lot of folks like to carry 4 wedges, but to me, that's overkill.  Which is easier: finessing a short wedge or finessing a shot over long distances?  My reasoning is, while the wedges are considered "scoring clubs," I find it much easier to manufacture wedge shots than I do with long clubs.  For instance, I can take something off my PW and it still retain spin.  However, it is much harder to do that on shots over 200 yards and still maintain enough spin on the ball to hold the green.  Additionally, strokes gained data reveals that a lot of shots can be gained from longer distance approach shots.  To me, it makes sense to have those gaps adequately, or even more so, covered to get more height and spin to help you out.

The set up paid off the last time I played as I had the tools necessary on 3 holes in particular: on a par four I had a tweener wedge distance, and I was able to flight the PW in to a front pin and the ball stayed below the hole.  Next, I used a 7w to get onto the fringe, middle right, on a par 5.  Lastly, on 18, I was able to get on the front left fringe with 5w on the par 5.  

For anyone who struggles with wedges, I strongly recommend watching @iacas's video in the covid practice series.  His explanation on pitching (or gliding) v. chipping is superb.  The only thing I would add is, and he may have said this, is when you're pitching, to allow the club head to catch up and line up the shaft more vertically--not just at address--but through impact.  This will get you to slide the club along the ground nicely.  If you get this technique down, you don't need 4 wedges.  If your set is stronger lofted, say 46* PW, you could still go 46, 52, 58.

Edited by ncates00

JPX FLI-HI 4 hybrid iron replacement. Drives aren't so long anymore, and this great club saves the 2nd shot many times for me. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I am having a really hard time with this question. Driver, hybrid, and irons are non-contenders. Driver and hybrid are too schizophrenic and I don't have a favorite iron. Putter is out because I am not particularly attached to the one that I play. 60 degree (LW) is out because I only hit 1-2 shots with it for every 5 rounds. That leaves SW, GW, and 3W. I feel very confident with my GW on full shots (75-90 yards) and on chips (it's my primary chipping club). I play the SW on shots inside of 70 yards all the way down to chipping. I also pull it for most flops that I run across, and it generally doesn't let me down. My 3 wood is almost always a good contact club, and it can go anywhere from 190-220 yards depending on roll out. Sometimes this club really saves a hole when I have a junk drive that doesn't go very far.

I think that based on frequency and consistency of strike, my sand wedge has to be the answer. It covers the largest amount of yardage and I am always comfortable with it in my hands.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• 8 months later...

We all have that certain club in the bag. The one we get all excited to hit. The one we have full confidence and trust in. What's your favorite club?

Mine- Wilson forged C300 6 iron with stiff KBS tour shaft. 

The current favorite is the Cobra F9 Tour Fairway set at 13.5 off of the tee. I put an Even Flow White 6.0 and it launches low and just goes. I love it on the tighter holes where the fairway runs out or pinches. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Probably my 5 wood.  It is the one club I've never considered replacing.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Maltby PTM 8i. Goes about 145yd carry. Feel quite confident with it... Also does double duty as my chipping club. Again feel much more confident chipping with that then anything else in the bag.

Then there’s the 7-iron. I never miss with the 7-iron. 

“It’s the only truly safe club in my bag.” - Tin Cup

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

For me there are two clubs.  My 4 hybrid and my PW.  And when I am swinging it properly, the driver as well.

The hybrid is what I like for longer shots since I can modulate it and get it airborne as well.  The PW is my go to club for pretty much anything inside 100 yards unless I need to get more loft

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

10 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Then there’s the 7-iron. I never miss with the 7-iron. 

“It’s the only truly safe club in my bag.” - Tin Cup

True that... Went a few rounds when nothing was working just using a 7i, putter and a sand wedge. Safest club in the bag for sure. 

• iacas changed the title to Favorite Club?
Note: This thread is 1039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!