IGNORED

Trouble with IRONS

Note: This thread is 5587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am having the same problem a couple other guys on this board seem to have, except with my irons in general. Although, what really weirds me out is I have no problems once so ever with my driver or my fairway woods. I am extremely confident in my woods. I am not a very good golfer, actually, I am not good at all. However, when I pick the driver up out of my bag I am very confident I am going to put a solid swing on the ball and either be on the fairway or just a bit off the fringe. Now, when I pick up ANY of my irons, I am thinking, "Where the hells this one going to go?". I am sure thats part of my problem, any advice guys?

I use Callaway Big Berthas..

This is my first year golfing, any tips or possible practice regime would be appreciated..

Thanks guys!

Where are you missing? Need some detail on what exactly is happening with your shots.
In My Bag (upgrading soon hopefully)

Driver: TiSI 10°
Irons: ISI Black Dot 3-PW (minus lost 5i)
Putter G5i Piper JMAX Milled Wedge 52°Ball: Whatever I Can Find

Where are you missing? Need some detail on what exactly is happening with your shots.

Sorry about that.. typically, what I find is I am either not staying down on the ball or I am slicing it. At times, it can be a complete variation of those two things. Now, what I mean is my ball will look like a punch fade or sometimes just a complete low far right ball. Most of the time, I will bring up a divot before the ball and not after it too..

Could it be I am taking my eyes off the ball right before impact? I know I am having a problem staying down on it.. just because I always feel like I am trying to kill it.

I would move the ball back in the stance. At the range, just do little 50 yard shots and focus on the turf in front of the ball. Hitting down on the irons is how you can control them and hit them good distances.

I would bet money you are playing the ball too far foward.

Brian

I would move the ball back in the stance. At the range, just do little 50 yard shots and focus on the turf in front of the ball. Hitting down on the irons is how you can control them and hit them good distances.

Thanks for the quick response, I am going to give this a try and give an update.

I have a feeling you might be setting up to hit your iron shots the same way that you hit your driver, but without specific details, it's hard to say. Try the two following things and see if you have improvement.

1) Move the ball back in your stance. With your long to mid irons, the ball should be in the middle of your stance. With your shorter irons, the ball can move back a few inches. With the ball moved back in your stance, concentrate on where you want the divot to start. Try to hit the front of the ball (of course, this is impossible, but it's a mental trick that helps).

2) If your set up is indeed the same as the driver, then your weight distribution is probably a little off. Make sure that (at worst) your weight is distributed 50% percent on each leg. With the shorter irons, you can put as much as 60% on your left leg.

Hope this helps

Hit a ball with a stick...how hard can it be?

I have a feeling you might be setting up to hit your iron shots the same way that you hit your driver, but without specific details, it's hard to say. Try the two following things and see if you have improvement.

Thanks man, I am going to be moving this ball back in my stance and try to work on that weight distrubution.

Sorry about that.. typically, what I find is I am either not staying down on the ball or I am slicing it. At times, it can be a complete variation of those two things. Now, what I mean is my ball will look like a punch fade or sometimes just a complete low far right ball. Most of the time, I will bring up a divot before the ball and not after it too..

Swing easy with a smooth tempo. Trying to kill it will produce negative results.

In My Bag (upgrading soon hopefully)

Driver: TiSI 10°
Irons: ISI Black Dot 3-PW (minus lost 5i)
Putter G5i Piper JMAX Milled Wedge 52°Ball: Whatever I Can Find

I am having the same problem a couple other guys on this board seem to have, except with my irons in general. Although, what really weirds me out is I have no problems once so ever with my driver or my fairway woods.

Confidence plays a bigger part then most give it credit. Be confident with every club.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Confidence plays a bigger part then most give it credit. Be confident with every club.

Yep, you lose confidence and you start to tense up and tension is the worst thing in the swing. Lightly grip the club, address the ball, take a deep breath and let it out and let your arms and shoulders relax. Easy slow take away, LET the wrist cock, and easy Smooth down swing, LET the momentum of arms pull you through(at impact) . That momemtum will pull your head up and your lower body around untill you are facing the target- Steve

just because I always feel like I am trying to kill it.

probably too tight on the grip, which can lead to some real crappy shots. It's a natural problem though.

Loose with the hands, pretend the club is a fencing foil....you will hit it straighter and farther.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Note: This thread is 5587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!