IGNORED

Houston: affordable country clubs

Note: This thread is 3579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm moving to Houston in a few weeks, and wanted to know if there were any affordable private or semi-private golf clubs in the area.

Reason I ask, is that after trying a few public courses up in the Northeast I find every weekend I run into a lot of people at the range who don't take the game seriously and make a lot of noise when one is trying to practice. Especially people who bring their young kids to the range who have no interest in golf and talk their heads off.

I'm tired of having to deal with the endless waves of inconsiderate chatterboxes and I'm willing to spend extra money so I can have peace and quiet while golfing.

The only time I have play golf is on the weekends, and I find the public courses are also very crowded.

Are there any private or semi-private clubs that offer memberships for up to $5,000/year? I know that's a pretty low figure but have to ask.

Or, if that figure is unrealistic, are there any quality practice golf ranges in Houston that don't put up with people making excessive noise that disturbs other golfers?

I guess I could join GolfTech and use their practice facility, as another affordable option.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

First off, saying you are moving to "Houston" is too geneal seeing as the city is so big. I could recommend a specific course, but it could be over an hour from your home depending on what area you move to.

That being said, there are too many courses in Houston to name. Anything you could want out of a course you can get in Houston. There are cheap daily fee courses all over the city, there are semi-private courses with "cheap" member packages, there are fully rivate clubs at bargain prices, and then there are courses with six-figure initiation fees. I'm assuming you're looking for a course that's more on the cheaper side but isn't a cow pasture.

Do you know what part of town you are moving to?
- If you are moving up north (Spring/Woodlands/Conroe areas), you could look into Augusta Pines (hosted an annual Champions Tour event up until a few years ago), Glenloch Pines, Windrose, any of The Woodlands courses, or any of the courses on Lake Conroe.
- If you are moving more out toward the NE part of town, look into any of the courses on Lake Houston.
- If you moving more SW of town toward Sugar Land, there are quite a few courses out that way (Sweetwater, Sugar Creek, or even Wildcat).

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that there are so many courses in Houston that you shouldn't have a problem finding exactly what you are looking for.

I would recommend Black Horse which is NW I think. I think their yearly fee is pretty solid and it's a really nice club with two solid courses. Wildcat is a decent place where a lot of the professional athletes go in the area, but the wind is absolutely brutal out there. Of the 5 times I played, I'd say 4 of them had obnoxious wind.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Do you know what part of town you are moving to?

I'll be moving to the Greenway Plaza area (inside-the-610-loop). I originally grew up in Houston so I'm familiar with most of the areas discussed in your posts so far, but not familiar with the golf courses or clubs, as I just started to play last year. The Blackhorse and Wildcat sound interesting. A friend of mine also recommended River Ridge over in Katy. Ideally I'm looking for a place a little more exclusive than a municipal course, so as to avoid the family crowds and avoid golfers that aren't serious about their game. I don't mind spending extra money for the facilities that would be too expensive for the average person. However, I can't afford a 6-figure membership. For example, here in Stamford the public Sterling Farms golf course has this "Shakespeare on the Green" series of events every summer on the course. They put up an outdoor stage on the edge of the course facilities and then have live shows several Saturdays in the summer. As a result forget trying to find a place to park if you just want to hit the range. One parking attendant advised me to find a lot several streets away. If there was a club that had a course, range and cost a few thousand a year to join then that would be more in my ballpark. But I don't know if such a club exists in Houston.

2011 Goals:
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

The Blackhorse and Wildcat sound interesting. A friend of mine also recommended River Ridge over in Katy.

Blackhorse is quite a long jog from the Greenway area, but Wildcat is actually really close (at least by Houston standards). Here is their

website . It says that a "family" membership is $395/month; it includes unlimitied play 7 days a week, unlimited carts, unlimited range balls, and other discounts. That fits directly into your budget. If I were you, I'd seriously consider it. Houston is so big that you can find anything you want. If Wildcat isn't a good fit, you'll for sure be able to find what you are looking for somewhere else.

I'll be moving to the Greenway Plaza area (inside-the-610-loop). I originally grew up in Houston so I'm familiar with most of the areas discussed in your posts so far, but not familiar with the golf courses or clubs, as I just started to play last year. The Blackhorse and Wildcat sound interesting. A friend of mine also recommended River Ridge over in Katy. Ideally I'm looking for a place a little more exclusive than a municipal course, so as to avoid the family crowds and avoid golfers that aren't serious about their game. I don't mind spending extra money for the facilities that would be too expensive for the average person. However, I can't afford a 6-figure membership. For example, here in Stamford the public Sterling Farms golf course has this "Shakespeare on the Green" series of events every summer on the course. They put up an outdoor stage on the edge of the course facilities and then have live shows several Saturdays in the summer. As a result forget trying to find a place to park if you just want to hit the range. One parking attendant advised me to find a lot several streets away. If there was a club that had a course, range and cost a few thousand a year to join then that would be more in my ballpark. But I don't know if such a club exists in Houston.

http://www.caperoyalegolf.net/golf/p...directions.htm great course not to crowded pretty cheap membership at least play it once even if you dont wanna join its a fun play

Thanks. Cape Royale seems like a nice club, but a little too far away for me unless I move the North side of town. But, I'll add that course to my list of ones to play, as it seems like a pretty good course. The Wildcat sounds like the best option so far. I'll contact them this week with more questions. The Champions Club also sounds like the best place, but I think I need to work on my game (and dedication) a lot more before I can attempt to join.

2011 Goals:

I've played River Ridge. It's a nice setup but is a big time haul from where you will live. I like the Wildcat practice facilities and it's super easy to get in and out of. But the wind is a drawback and so is that lake course, it looks really damn hard. I've only played the other course which is pretty cool.

There is another course out that way that is links style. Can't remember the name, I think it changed ownership hands recently though.

Oh, and have you checked out avid golfer.com? They give you the low down on all the courses around.

I'll tell you one thing though, if money weren't a problem I'd be joining River Oaks or Redstone (Houston Open). I've played both and they are special.

In my bag:

2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

The Champions Club also sounds like the best place, but I think I need to work on my game (and dedication) a lot more before I can attempt to join.

To become a member at Champions, you need at least a 15 handicap or better. You can have more money than god and you won't get in unless you are at that skill level. Outside of paying your initiation fee, that's all you need to get in. If you do ever get down to that level and are serious about golf, you couldn't ask for a better club to play at. There are so many single-digit and scratch golfers out there it's unreal. I'm about a 6 handicap right now, and I'm just "middle of the pack" out at Champions. In club championship qualifier, the 3rd and 4th flights are usually full of the scratch golfers; the Championship flight if all the guys around +2 or so. I know that sounds intimidating, but it's amazing how just being around golfers like that makes you a better golfer. There is no other club like it in the country; no one has that type of membership of true golfers while still being absolutely open to anyone that wants to join. It's as pure as the game can get for us mortals.

I'll tell you one thing though, if money weren't a problem I'd be joining River Oaks or Redstone (Houston Open). I've played both and they are special.

The Tournament Course that is used for the Houston Open a public course. Redstone has a seperate members course. It hosted the Houston Open for one year before it was moved to the Tournament Course.

The Tournament Course that is used for the Houston Open a public course. Redstone has a seperate members course. It hosted the Houston Open for one year before it was moved to the Tournament Course.

Yes, I know. I would love to join still.

In my bag:

• 5 years later...

Houston is a huge sprawling place and although the freeway system is good, if you are working in the Greenway Plaza area and going to live reasonably nearby (a good idea), I would not join a club on the northside or far west part of town.  (That said, there is a nifty club--Northgate CC--that would fit your needs nicely, but for its location).

Just to throw out some ideas--Braeburn used to be a great club, not too far from Westwood (already mentioned).  A little further out, down 59, Sugar Creek CC, used to be an awfully nice place.  If you're looking to go the semi-private route, due south (out 288) is a place called Southwyck.  Back in the day, when Freddie Couples was playing college golf, Southwyck was the home course for the University of Houston.  I've also heard good things about Bay Oaks, which is more south east than due south of where you are planning to live.

You'll notice that everything I've recommended is in the past tense.  That's because I haven't lived in Houston since 2000.  I was there from 1980-2000 and lived in the general area of Greenway Plaza.  But a lot changed in Houston 1980-2000 and a lot has changed 2000-2014.

Good luck with Texas.  You can play year round on the Gulf Coast, but, man, it is hot in the summertime.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be sure to check out Wildcat before commiting to it full time.  It is a nice course every once in a while, but I find the amount of blind shots to be very frustrating after a while.  I have hit more good shots that you don't see land to never be able to find the ball.

I would recommend some of the courses on the SW side of town.  From Greenway, Sugar Land is only about 20 mins.  Off the top of my head: Braeburn, Riverbend, Sugar Creek and Sweetwater.  Both Braeburn and Riverben have one 18 hole course.  They both are older courses built in the 30s that are very well maintained with immaculate greens.  Braeburn is probably a bit more family oriented and expensive, whereas Riverbend is more focused on the golf.  (I was briefly a member of Riverbend and really enjoyed the head pro there, James Brown).  I play Sweetwater quite a bit and it offers two 18 hole golf courses.  I usually only play during the week and it isn't very crowded, but it is definitely a family-oriented country club and I have heard that it can be pretty crowded on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  I have never played Sugar Creek, but have heard good things.  Apparantly, they have three 9 hole courses and are offering pretty good membership packages at the time.

Welcome back to Houston!

Note: This thread is 3579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!