IGNORED

What's the big deal about Michelle Wie?

Speedly
Note: This thread is 5405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i cannot stand michelle wie. i mean, who does she think she is? she wants to play on men's tournaments and can't beat the women. hell, she couldn't even win my saturday foursome, and we're far from the pga tour.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the big deal with her? She's not usually on the front page of the leaderboard, so why do they bother to make such a fuss over her?

Why do people post questions and expect people to type out information that they can so easily seek by going to a search engine?

She was amazingly talented at a very young age. She hit the ball a mile. She expressed an interest in playing against the men. She did so and didn't do as well as she wanted to. Several high profile PGA tour pros expressed annoyance at her invitations to PGA Tour events. She had bad advice from management and stage parents. She garnered publicity because of all of the above. People saw her as a female Tiger. She got massive endorsement fees before having LPGA status. She is yet to deliver on her huge potential, but she's making progress. Some people have a fascination with young girls with long legs and short skirts. Some people relish watching the "failure" of others. Many people like to see people rise to the top after having a lot of obstacles. She's American and she's seen as as the potential saviour of the LPGA. And......perhaps, people prefer her to the pouting Creamer or the sk**#y Gulbis.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

i cannot stand michelle wie. i mean, who does she think she is? she wants to play on men's tournaments and can't beat the women. hell, she couldn't even win my saturday foursome, and we're far from the pga tour.

She would wipe the floor with your Saturday foursome, outdrive all of you by 80 metres and give you each 10 shots into the bargain.

For someone to be getting all that coverage, I'd think they'd consistently be atop the leaderboards, or dang close.

Surely you don't really believe this! Professional golf is business.

John Daly doesn't get coverage because he's at the top of the leaderboard.

Idiot. Judging by your handicap your not even worthy to clean her clubs. That might be a bit harsh but I'm a 10 handicap and I'm no where near her level.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Hahaha, lawl!

Oh wait. You were serious? What I can't stand in the Wie haters. I mean loads of people write her off as a failure, a has been, when in reality she isn't even 20 yet (I think) and is only mid-way through her first season of full membership on the LPGA. Give the girl a break, for crying out loud.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Hahaha, lawl!

I agree with you---people should give her a break, now that she is "doing it the right way", and competing against the gals on the LPGA Tour. Dottie Pepper and others recommended this from the beginning, but the Wie Camp was stubborn about pushing her along. Based on her interviews this year, I think that she has matured a great deal, and she is playing decently. She has not won, yet, but give her time. She has a lot of talent.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Why does Michelle Wie get all the press & hype?
----------------------
I was at the McDonald's LPGA Championship today at Bulle Rocke. Michelle Wie is the LPGA's most recognizable star......she's 6'1" & fairly attractive.

Asians dominate the tour...& most do not speak English well & just kind of all blend together....even Lorena Ochoa (#1 player) can not speak English that well.

There are only 5 Americans in the top 30....so Michelle Wie (as others have said) is looked at as the savior of the LPGA. I don't know the attendance #s for the LPGA...but I can tell you there are 10x as many people at Tiger's AT&T; at Congressional than there was at Bulle Rock today.

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/shag-b...-career-29841/

I did not see it...but Michelle Wie did get a hole in one today.

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

• Administrator

She'd mop the floor with you. Dumbest thing I've seen today (and I've seen quite a few comments from Red Wings fans, so, that's some stiff competition).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

hence my comment about most of the hate directed at her by the middle aged men angry they'd get molly-whopped by a teen girl.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

Four pages of responses so far, and no pics?

Post some pics, and we will all know why she is so popular...

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

Poor kid was browbeaten by her crazy father, then brainwashed by her Nike 'handlers' and the golf associations, networks, etc. You ask "Who does she think she is?" That child never had a chance to define for herself who she is. She is finally, now, taking slow control over her life and her careeer. Good for her. To blast criticism on a 20 year old who is no doubt socially retarded from all the golf and 'mentoring' is pretty mean. She's working hard and at this point can't discourage the media attention. She's certainly not being a media prostitute like many sports stars. You don't see her drunk in public, partying with Paris Hilton, etc. She practices and plays golf. How can people work up such hate for her?

And...as far as her appeal? Dont' discount the perv factor: she was underage and looked mature for her years and the media loved to showcase her looks. No doubt that created some level of fascination/interest.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Win a major? She hasn`t even won a tournament,unless I`m sadly mistaken.I really can`t stand her,although I have nothing against her. It just peeved me that she tried to compete against the men when she can`t even beat the Koreans on the LPGA. I guess it`s all about ratings,ect, but I`ll never be a fan.

Come on, man. Stop acting like she hasn't had success at all.

Best results in LPGA Major Championships Kraft Nabisco C'ship T3: 2006 LPGA Championship 2nd: 2005 U.S. Women's Open T3: 2006 Women's British Open T3: 2005 A missed putt there, a tugged drive here, she's not far from breaking through.

Thanks for the comedy.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

A missed putt there, a tugged drive here...

...in the water with a few holes to go and only a few shots back two weeks ago.

907D2 driver and 906D4 3 wood
Idea Pro Gold 3 4 5 hybrids
Apex Plus 6 7 8 9 E irons
900 52 gap 56 sand 60 lob wedges
Rossa Suzuka Putter

I am a fan. I want to see her do well. She had a tremendous amount of pressure put on her way to early. Its good to see her still sticking it out and not just packing it in.

/J6

i15 w/Diamana Blue 9.5
G10 w/Prolaunch Red 17
Raylor 19* 909h 21 MB 4-PW Vokey Spin Milled 54* and 60* Circa 62 No 7

...in the water with a few holes to go and only a few shots back two weeks ago.

Yeah it's such a fine line between winning, especially on a professional level. And with golf, it's TRULY a game of inches...we all know that.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

She is a big deal, because she has amazing talent and natural golf ability.
At 12yo she made the cut at an LPGA event. At 13yo, she won the US Women's amateur public links championship. At 14yo, she shot 72-68 at the men's PGA Sony Open (missing the cut by one stroke). At the age of 15 she finished second at the Evian Masters and third at the Women's British Open.

She has had some poor management, questionable parenting, media overexposure, immaturity, injuries, etc. But, with hard work and health, she will excel on the LPGA.

Her best finishes in the majors.
Kraft Nabisco C'ship T3: 2006
LPGA Championship 2nd: 2005
U.S. Women's Open T3: 2006
Women's British Open T3: 2005

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Note: This thread is 5405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!