IGNORED

What's the big deal about Michelle Wie?

Speedly
Note: This thread is 5399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

while i still think this thread is a joke ... she missed the cut to qualify for the ladies open ;x

no wie or gulbis :(

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while i still think this thread is a joke ... she missed the cut to qualify for the ladies open ;x

It's the U.S. Women's Open qualifying process that's a joke. No Wie or Gulbis, but plenty of amateurs who shot close to 160 for their two qualifying rounds at a different site. All touring pros were forced to compete against each other. Since they were playing the LPGA Championship the day before, they all had to schedule their qualifying round at the same site near the Bulle Rock course. At all other sites, you basically had 2 handicappers going up against each other, shooting 84-75 and getting in. Wie's and Gulbis' scores would have easily qualified at every other site.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

haha wow really ? i'd no idea that's how they did it... that's pretty silly ...

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

It's the U.S. Women's Open qualifying process that's a joke. No Wie or Gulbis, but plenty of amateurs who shot close to 160 for their two qualifying rounds at a different site. All touring pros were forced to compete against each other. Since they were playing the LPGA Championship the day before, they all had to schedule their qualifying round at the same site near the Bulle Rock course. At all other sites, you basically had 2 handicappers going up against each other, shooting 84-75 and getting in. Wie's and Gulbis' scores would have easily qualified at every other site.

You are right, but Wie and Gulbis could have qualified by playing well in prior Tour events or last year's Open, and if they had, they would not have been forced to try qualifying this way.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

unless i'm somehow mistaken, the ladies tees are quite a bit closer than the men's tees. we all hit well over 300, and from what i hear she hits around 270 or so. if she wants to play with men, we play from the back tees and our best scorer is usually just under or at par. so no, i do not believe she would be able to win my saturday foursome.

There is no way that a professional golfer of any calibre would go out for a round on any course that any non professional golfer would consider standard and shoot anything worse than 6-7 under par. Even playing from your back tees, which are probably shorter than, or as long as, what they play on a typical tour course. EDIT; The hysterical lol-ing is at two things: 1. The fact that you think Michelle Wie couldn't beat your foursome and, 2. The fact that you think all of your fourball can hit "well over 300"
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I agree with the above.

MWs actual driving stats are accomplished by the tour in a very very conservative way.

Maybe one day last year down hill down wind you all hit well over 300. But that would not be your actual average stats if done in the same manner as the tour calculates that stat.

907D2 driver and 906D4 3 wood
Idea Pro Gold 3 4 5 hybrids
Apex Plus 6 7 8 9 E irons
900 52 gap 56 sand 60 lob wedges
Rossa Suzuka Putter

You are right, but Wie and Gulbis could have qualified by playing well in prior Tour events or last year's Open, and if they had, they would not have been forced to try qualifying this way.

Gulbis EARNED automatic exemptions based on her play for 8 straight years. She played with a fractured vertabrae for half a season last year before shutting it down and still almost qualifed. Coming off a 5 month layoff, but playing pain-free, she has been one of the more consistent players on tour this year. Being in the top 30 after enduring a year like last year is pretty good.

If the USGA just applied the same qualification exemptiom standards for women as they do for men, both Wie and Gulbis would be in, because they both are well within the top 50 players in the world rankings. The USGA needs to protect the world’s best like they do for the men. The fact is the USGA is a little slow on the uptake when it comes to the women and doesn’t really spend any time revising and tweaking the rules for them like it does for the men. The women's rankings have been established for 5 years now; it's more than time for the USGA to make the change. which you will undoubtedly see them do, but it took something like this to make it happen.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

my home course is an old a.w. tillinghast course, just like bethpage. has been host to a us open and a host of college and amateur tournaments. so needless to say, its a pretty tough course. also, the avg. height of my group is about 6'3'', all under 40 years old. so yes, we are all capable of hitting the ball 300.

unless i'm somehow mistaken, the ladies tees are quite a bit closer than the men's tees. we all hit well over 300, and from what i hear she hits around 270 or so. if she wants to play with men, we play from the back tees and our best scorer is usually just under or at par. so no, i do not believe she would be able to win my saturday foursome.

If you are so confident, why not arrange a game?

I'm sure you could take enough bets to cover Wies appearance money, and more if you win. If you lose it could be expensive, but you don't feel thats gonna happen, so no problem. If you don't want to do this, best stop making the claim. Nothing worse than someone making a claim they are not willing to back up. Almost as bad as the losers excuse of mot trying because they weren't playing a worthwhile opponent. If you do want to do this, let me know, I would love to put some money up.

Gulbis EARNED automatic exemptions based on her play for 8 straight years. She played with a fractured vertabrae for half a season last year before shutting it down and still almost qualifed. Coming off a 5 month layoff, but playing pain-free, she has been one of the more consistent players on tour this year. Being in the top 30 after enduring a year like last year is pretty good.

You are right about the difference in standards for men and women. As is normal, women "take a back seat" to the men. To some extent, this is inevitable and "will always be with us", but it still stinks.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

my home course is an old a.w. tillinghast course, just like bethpage. has been host to a us open and a host of college and amateur tournaments. so needless to say, its a pretty tough course. also, the avg. height of my group is about 6'3'', all under 40 years old. so yes, we are all capable of hitting the ball 300.

This may come as a shock to you, but Cedar Crest has never held a U.S. Open. Furthermore, the rating for your course from the tips doesn't indicate that it is all that tough. Maybe you can hit the ball 300 yards, but so can Michelle Wie. She can also putt and hit her irons great. Not guessing the same for you as a 10. Maybe you could have beat her when she was 7.

Maybe you could have beat her when she was 7.

Really laughing out loud at this. Too funny.

907D2 driver and 906D4 3 wood
Idea Pro Gold 3 4 5 hybrids
Apex Plus 6 7 8 9 E irons
900 52 gap 56 sand 60 lob wedges
Rossa Suzuka Putter

This may come as a shock to you, but Cedar Crest has never held a U.S. Open. Furthermore, the rating for your course from the tips doesn't indicate that it is all that tough. Maybe you can hit the ball 300 yards, but so can Michelle Wie. She can also putt and hit her irons great. Not guessing the same for you as a 10. Maybe you could have beat her when she was 7.

my mistake... we held the PGA championship. also, my irons and putting are the best part of my game... it's my driver that's inconsistent.

my mistake... we held the PGA championship. also, my irons and putting are the best part of my game... it's my driver that's inconsistent.

So you hit the driver 300 yards, and your short game is the best part of your game.......

But your handicap indicates that you'd probably shoot about about +56 over a 4-day weekend where Wie shot under par.... And you think you can beat her? How do you figure that? When was the last time you shot under par over the course of 4 rounds on a course with a slope over 130? I'm dead serious. These are simple numbers. Do you regularly shoot under par on any course? With a handicap of 10, I'd clearly think "absolutely not." And, if you don't, what on earth makes you think that you suddenly could if you were playing against a girl?

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

So you hit the driver 300 yards, and your short game is the best part of your game.......

ok... go back to all my posts and find where i said that i could best wie. i never said that. what i did say is, she would not win my foursome. the last time i shot under par was about 5 years ago in case you were wondering.

So when was the last time a member of your group shot under par for 68 straight holes on a course with a 130+ slope?

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

ok... go back to all my posts and find where i said that i could best wie. i never said that. what i did say is, she would not win my foursome. the last time i shot under par was about 5 years ago in case you were wondering.

To bad we couldn't get Wie to go whoop up on your foursome. I would be my house she would wipe the course with you.

Note: This thread is 5399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!