IGNORED

Silly question: What exactly is the point of the golf glove?

$2 Nassau
Note: This thread is 5400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to wear one religously up until this year.
So what are these things good for again, besides providing psychological comfort (that basically what it was for me - "I need my glove! oh no, where is it?")
I guess it's tackiness when in contact with the grip allows the club to stay in your hand with lighter grip pressure? (that's my guess anyway) But if that is the case, why not wear them on both hands?

I stopped wearing one this year and I love the feel of it. I am now one with the club.

But then again, 99% of golfers wear a glove it seems. Am I doin' it wrong or what?

I didnt want to spend the money on one until a club slipped badly when taking a shot on a particularly hot sweaty day.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

okay, I should mention that if I am pouring sweat and my hands feel slippery I will wear one. But that's isn't too often, especially this time of year. Although sometimes a little sweat actually helps my hands get tacky on the grip.

okay, I should mention that if I am pouring sweat and my hands feel slippery I will wear one. But that's isn't too often, especially this time of year. Although sometimes a little sweat actually helps my hands get tacky on the grip.

I got a pretty good blister when I didn't wear one. I imagine that becomes less of an issue if you grip properly and build up some calluses, but that's why I started wearing one.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

My ball hitting regimen requires that I wear a glove. I don't know if my hands will ever get so tough that I can hit 300 balls without some kind of blister. So because I practice with one it feels wierd not to use one on the course.

Golf is hard enough, I'll take any advantage that is within the rules.

sweat is my reason. I don't wear a glove with chip/pitch shots or putting and would prefer not to wear one but there's no way. My hands sweat really bad and I can't hold on to the club

The club may not feel like it's twisting in your hand without a glove (and it may not) but keep in mind one degree of torque multiplied by a 200 yard shot is 10 yards off line.

I just like knowing that with my glove on, the club won't twist (or shouldn't twist).
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

I get really sweaty hands. Even if I'm playing in 40 degree temperatures. I've finished rounds of golf and my glove looks like it was dipped into a swimming pool. A glove is pretty much mandatory for me on shot that requires anything close to a full swing. It's a tackiness, comfort, and mental issue as well. I've just used a glove for so long, that when I don't, something feels "off".

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

I have to wear a glove simply due to sweaty hands...in fact, I wear 2 gloves about 80% of the time. Not because I think "Tommy Two-Gloves" is cool but because if I'm trying to grip a club with both hands I believe I should have a glove on both. It really improves my game both physically and psychologically. And for anyone that is like me....you should really try the black 'rain glove' packs as opposed to buying a standard white right and left.

In the bizzag...

Driver--TaylorMade Burner 9.5*
3W--TaylorMade Burner 15*
Hybrid--TaylorMade Burner Rescue 19*Irons--Maltby KE4 Tour(4-PW)Wedges--Cleveland CG14(52,56,60)Putter--Wilson CI1Ball--Nike One Platinum

I don't wear a glove, I think with the newer grips there is less of a moisture issue then in the past. I stopped wearing a glove when I started using cord grips. I personally don't like to have to put it on, take it off, put it on.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

And for anyone that is like me....you should really try the black 'rain glove' packs as opposed to buying a standard white right and left.

Those rain gloves are great. I live in Seattle, and use them all the time in the rainy season. I only use one glove on a usual round... but have multiple of them bc they get so sweaty.. I can switch back and forth. I grew up playing in the deep South, and would be rotating 3 or 4 gloves at a time in a one-day tournament in 105-degree temps.

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

I wear one for grip, and it looks cool, I mean thats whats important right?

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

Regardless of why you wear one, the glove changes the feel of the size of the grip and adds weight to grip/hand area which decreases the swingweight feel of the club. Thus, it is hard to wear one regularly and then not wear one for a full shot, too much difference in feel.

I wear one for grip, and it looks cool, I mean thats whats important right?

LOL, but what about the one tan hand the one not so tan hand.....

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I wear one for drives and fairway wood, but ditched it for iron and wedge shots. I do keep a pair of rain gloves in the bag for cold rainy days.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well...I hang my arm out the window when I'm driving to offset that.

In the bag:
MX-100 Irons
Wedges 54*
60* SV Tour Wedge
putter 3-Wood, 5-wood 10.5* driverLimbo Ball

Well...I hang my arm out the window when I'm driving to offset that.

NO NO NO!

Obviously none of you guys are cyclists. In cycling the hard tan lines from the lyrca are signs of dedication and hours spent training. The same must be applied to golf!

Note: This thread is 5400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!