Sign in to follow this  
onthehunt526

Irons with lower ball flights...

Note: This thread is 3781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 posts / 7311 viewsLast Reply

Ok... Erik is gonna yell at me but this is for a friend not for me... A friend of mine is playing the Taylor Made r7 irons and complains to me that he hits the ball too high... he is about a 10-handicapper... who gets good distance off the tee, but his iron shots balloon... like I'm talking he hits his driver 250-260 and his 9-iron 105-110, but it drops like a rock and stays put... so he was wondering what irons are out there that have lower ball flights... or is it a swing thing maybe...

and I can't really tell him either because i hit the ball straight up in the air myself... and I play blades... any opinions would be appreciated...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Ok... Erik is gonna yell at me but this is for a friend not for me... A friend of mine is playing the Taylor Made r7 irons and complains to me that he hits the ball too high... he is about a 10-handicapper... who gets good distance off the tee, but his iron shots balloon... like I'm talking he hits his driver 250-260 and his 9-iron 105-110, but it drops like a rock and stays put... so he was wondering what irons are out there that have lower ball flights... or is it a swing thing maybe...

I would think getting him the right shafts for those r7s would help. But also something like a cobra pro CB, or an uber stiff shaft like rifle 7.0 I hit those about the same distance as my stock stiffs on my irons just those were about half the height.

I wanna say its mostly the shaft that determines the trajectory, but the Nickent 3DX Pros have a low ball flight with their stock shafts (Nippon 1080 stiff)

Question. You hit the ball high but added loft to your irons? I would have your friend see a pro. He has to be playing the ball in the wrong position and not taking a divot. As far as irons maybe the TM LT irons.

Ball position, incorrect loft angles or shaft bend points affect ball flight. I'd have you both check those three IMHO ...

Am I the Erik that's gonna yell at you? Why would I? Did I miss something?

Your friend should check out his shafts. If he is taking divots and de-lofting the clubs, that's about all I can think of outside of him aiming left and opening the club up way too much.

I have just spent the last year trying to lower my ball flight. I have a shop full of high bend point shafts. They didn't solve the problem. It's his impact position that has the biggest impact on trajectory. Tempo too. Find the right flex in a high bend point shaft then read this link:

What lies before you is the "secret" to becoming a ballstriking machine with a nice boring trajectory, seriously.

http://www.playperfectgolf.co.uk/Mas...wing%20arc.htm

Some irons hit it higher than others, especially depending on the shaft, but it is still possible to hit the ball very high even if you have the stiffest, heaviest, highest kickpoint shafts and blades with high center of gravity. Most better players deloft the club because the hands lead at impact, producing the descending blow you want with an iron.

Have a pro check out his swing. My guess is he's probably sweeping it, which can work well for woods and long irons, but will make short irons go very high and short, like you describe.

well because I'm a +3.5 and I should know the answer... it seems like he makes good contact... he maybe playing the ball too far forward? or is it he needs stiffer shafts?

and I'm upright so that's why I hit the ball high... but then again I'm 6-foot-5...

Go Pens!!!

My guess is he's probably sweeping it, which can work well for woods and long irons, but will make short irons go very high and short, like you describe.

Yep. This what I do. I hit everything really high because my hands get just a touch behind the clubhead, and I 'sweep' all my clubs, therefore everything goes really high and I'm certainly losing some distance.

Just have him take more of a divot instead of sweeping it - it will compress theh ball more and get his hands leading the clubhead which he's probably not doing.

Note: This thread is 3781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!