IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd

Note: This thread is 1644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Timothyjack

When it comes to hitting par 5's in two. One of my pet peeves is when I go for my second shot on a par 5 and my buddy stops me from hitting because someone is on the green and they think I can hit my 3 wood 280. Doing it once in a while is one thing, but I dont remember the last time I consistently hit my 3 wood anywhere over 260. That sometimes throws me off when Im ready to hit. I usually endup  screwing up the shot.

Grrr...I hate this.  When I have set up to the ball and then someone says "you're going to hit them!" It screws me all up.  I know my distance...and only I know what i'm trying to do with the shot...so why are you trying to tell me how far I'm going to hit it?

Originally Posted by Timothyjack

I feel you guys on all of these pet peeves. Its just kind of sucks when its your significant other. My wife who I love to death can sometimes take me out of my game because she sets up to the ball, backs away, take 3 practice swings,  line up again, adjusts herself, and then top the ball.  Every shot. I mean, when she connects, look out. 210 down the middle. But when she is off, it is too slow. I've been thinking of a way to help her come up with a better preshot routine that will speed up her play.

Gift her some lessons either for her by herself or for you two together.  Just make sure that one of those is a playing lesson and let the instructor know .  He'll find a nice way to say that her game would be better if she didn't do this and you won't piss her off.  Cost you some $$ but save you a lot of other things.

My pet peeve, is people talking as I'm about to hit.  I tend to listen and it messes me up.  I don't mind if you talk while I'm begining my routine, which takes a few seconds.  But please stop once I've addressed the ball.  I also hate the guy who starts a story on the tee between players hitting, then you're wondering how it will end.  OTOH, I don't really mind people walking or carts moving up to their ball or putting clubs back.  It's just the talking.

I also can't put up with the guys who crowd the cup while you're putting.

I have a long list, but thankfully my regular game about 20 guys or so are all pretty good on the etiquette front.

Oh man i could go on about pet peeves all day.

Players that rush behind you and make you feel rushed hurts my game.

Groups that are tooooo slow. usually a walking 5some and insist on marking every ball on the green no matter how not in the way they are. They make your muscles cold. Best round that i think i ever had last weekend. Got on right after a slow 4 some but allowed us to kind of take our time and relax cuz im so used to rushing but we tried to not put too much pressure on the group behind us and the group behind us was the same way. just turned out a beautiful relaxing nice day of golf.

People im playing with playing not ready golf.

This one may be partially me but if im 260 out on a par 5 im very capable of getting my 3 wood there but somebody says, "ok tough guy your not gonna make it there" then i just feel alot of pressure and try and kill the ball and my shot never works out after that and i feel like a tool.

People who have a long routine alone dont bother me. if it takes you 10 practice swings before you tee off thats fine but your ball better be right down the middle of the fairway and make up for the routine with no ball searching. It will however bother the piss out of me if you take 10 practice swings and duff it or top it EVERYTIME.

The golf liar who tells me he shoots in the 80's when i know he doesn't.

I have a buddy who i golf with every weekend and he never tries to fix anything. we started together about a year ago and im down into the high 80's and he got lucky and broke 100 the other day. He doesnt complain about why hes not getting better but it just bothers me that he never even tries to fix his swing or get more consistent. He just "hopes his swing works on this one." I know golf you're really only competing against yourself and i try not to make it to competitive but its not a challenge at all and i dont have a competitive partner there to push me.

The person who shows up 5 minutes before his tee time and makes you a lil stressed right before a round.

Another round that doesnt bother me a whole lot but stresses me out a lil is my uncle who shows up to golf at a nice course in denim shorts and a polo. We might be driving to this course an hour away, if we cant get out because of your sloppy attire im gonna be pissed.

Also the guy who is on his phone way too much. Its not hard to atleast not answer your phone on the course. I use my phone for the gps so i understand having it out but i think it all leads me to my point and my biggest problem.

I think of golf as a relaxing, challenging activity/hobby/sport. The day you are golfing its not that hard to dedicate an hour before your round to showing up early. Worst case scenario, show up 45 mins earlier, get out earlier, hit a bucket, practice some putting and take the stress out of it. have a beer.

I know all this makes me sound anal retentive but i never complain about these things out loud and never let them get to me too much but i saw this as an oppurtunity to vent. Im sure there are even things im forgetting. And sorry

My biggest peeves are definitely having a playing partner that feels the need to smoke.

I got put with two guys last weekend that broke out to large cigar looking things (not sure it was tobacco) and started smoking them halfway through.

One got much better and one got much much worse, the both seemed to cheer up also.

I just couldn't find a place to stand upwind from them and came home smelling the crap the were smoking, gave me a headache and made me near sick.

Anyways, just my peeve.

To clarify, a cigarette that lasts a hole or two would be fine with me but a pungent cigar for the entire back nine? I didn't like that

Originally Posted by dsc123

As much as I don't like slow play, I think the speedsters are worse.

I got paired up with two guys this weekend one of which was furious that he got stuck with a walker.  I offered to leave, but then he apologized and insisted that I stay with him.  "Its easter" he says, and he was nice enough after that.  But even though I'm fast enough to keep up I feel rushed and play poorly as a result.  He shoots a double and I birdie the first hole but as soon as I hit a wayward shot on the second I feel like I need to prove to this guy that I can play quick.  I completely fell apart.

Then there's the guy who keeps offering me rides.  Its a nice gesture, but I prefer the exercise and prefer my space to sitting ass-to-ass with strangers in the cart.  Sometimes people who ride think people who walk only do it because they can't afford it or something, like they can write off their cart fee as a charitable donation by offering me a ride.

And finally, guys who suck and speed on the greens.  The guy who 3 putts every hole because his routine is 1) take putter out of bag; 2) walk to ball; 3) hit ball; repeat.  It makes me feel like I'm taking myself too seriously when I take a bit more time.

I'm working on the mental side and not letting this stuff bother me, but its impossible to play well when you feel rushed.

I wouldn't have offered, I would have insisted that they go ahead without me, because right then and there I know I'll play poorly with someone like that. I'm not the type to take 8 practice swings and change clubs 3 times, but I do like to think about what I'm doing, not just run up there and hit it. If that makes me a slow player, then I'm a slow player.

Originally Posted by elementz

The weather...

Edit:  Guess I didn't read the subject title.

This does bring up a pet peeve though, guys who won't play if it's raining, even a little bit. Suck it up Nancy boy!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I noticed a lot of folks on this thread don't like slow play, but it seems even more don't like rushed play. I hate when I'm right on a 4.5 hr pace and the group behind us is acting like their one goal for the day is to get off the course as fast as possible. Every time you look back, there they are looking at you like 'cmon, let's go!', despite the fact that there is a 4 in front of us, and a 4 in front of them...

Why on earth would someone pay all that money to do something with the goal of just trying to get it over with as fast as possible? IMO, courses have gotten a little over the top with the emphasis on fast play.

Originally Posted by VMAN

Gift her some lessons either for her by herself or for you two together.  Just make sure that one of those is a playing lesson and let the instructor know .  He'll find a nice way to say that her game would be better if she didn't do this and you won't piss her off.  Cost you some $$ but save you a lot of other things.

My pet peeve, is people talking as I'm about to hit.  I tend to listen and it messes me up.  I don't mind if you talk while I'm begining my routine, which takes a few seconds.  But please stop once I've addressed the ball.  I also hate the guy who starts a story on the tee between players hitting, then you're wondering how it will end.  OTOH, I don't really mind people walking or carts moving up to their ball or putting clubs back.  It's just the talking.

I also can't put up with the guys who crowd the cup while you're putting.

I have a long list, but thankfully my regular game about 20 guys or so are all pretty good on the etiquette front.

That sounds like a good idea. That brings on another pet peeve. People who want to get better at golf but will not put in the time and then complain when they top the ball 15 times a round. I Love my wife. I really do. Its just so funny. I go to the range. I take lessone, and have a NetReturn golf net in the back yard so I can hit anytime I want. Seems like pulling teeth trying to get her to practice. Sheesh. My budy is the same way. Hits his Drive about 195 on average and complains about how short he hits. Knows what he needs to do because we have the same conversation every round but will not do it. Makes me want to slap some sense into him. Does the same thing every time but expexts different results. He's just crazy.

People who take mulligans.  I dont mind taking 1 mulligan on the first tee box, but that's it.

People who take "gimmies".  Put the ball in friggin' the hole.

People who move their ball more than a club head away from its position.  I dont mind LCP, but if you are behind a tree, suck it up.

Basically, cheaters piss me off.  Especially when they talk about beating you by 5 strokes the following week.

Originally Posted by biggdave92

People who take mulligans.  I dont mind taking 1 mulligan on the first tee box, but that's it.

People who take "gimmies".  Put the ball in friggin' the hole.

People who move their ball more than a club head away from its position.  I dont mind LCP, but if you are behind a tree, suck it up.

Basically, cheaters piss me off.  Especially when they talk about beating you by 5 strokes the following week.

I agree. I used to play with a guy who did this. Normally I don't care but one day we were playing for money and he took 5 tee shots on a par 3 until he hit the green. He than sunk the putt and tried to claim a birdie and the skin. It was the last time I ever played with him.

Haven't seen anyone mention the "taking forever to read a putt" guy....Now don't get me wrong - I don't mind people taking time to line up their putts, however when you've been standing there waiting for me to putt out, then begin your routine and take 1-2 minutes to line-up a 7 footer (walking around the hole, plumb-bobbing, etc.) - that's when I start to get a little hot and bothered!

Originally Posted by showtime583

Haven't seen anyone mention the "taking forever to read a putt" guy....Now don't get me wrong - I don't mind people taking time to line up their putts, however when you've been standing there waiting for me to putt out, then begin your routine and take 1-2 minutes to line-up a 7 footer (walking around the hole, plumb-bobbing, etc.) - that's when I start to get a little hot and bothered!

I played with a 28-capper in our first club tournament of the year a couple months ago.  He did this, and it was somewhat annoying.  He would read the putt from both sides of the cup, but wouldn't start doing it until it was his turn to putt.  The first time he did it, I thought it was a joke of some kind, because it took him 7 strokes to get on the green and had like a 5 foot putt.  But then he did it every hole.

Brandon

If the guy is new to playing golf  and only seen golf on television I wouldn't be shocked if he thought that's what he's supposed to do.  Guy might need someone to tell him he's not on the tour and teach him basic course etiquette.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I played with a 28-capper in our first club tournament of the year a couple months ago.  He did this, and it was somewhat annoying.  He would read the putt from both sides of the cup, but wouldn't start doing it until it was his turn to putt.  The first time he did it, I thought it was a joke of some kind, because it took him 7 strokes to get on the green and had like a 5 foot putt.  But then he did it every hole.

Brandon

+1 on the lesson guy - especially the ones who are clearly not even close to being as good as you are but still want to play michael breed on every one of your swings.

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Slow guy

Lesson guy

Phone guy

Note: This thread is 1644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!