IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

people that drive a golf cart through the rough

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

Added a new one over the weekend.

The Gimmie.   It drives me nuts when people ask for gimmie putts with their playing partner.  These were not like 1 foot tap ins but like 6 to 8 foot putts for either par or bogey and they asked for "Gimmies."  I don't understand this at all.  Just make the putt and get a real score and not some made up hypothetical tally.  What is the point of getting the ball all the way to the hole and just picking up... Ah!

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Originally Posted by pumaAttack

The Gimmie.   It drives me nuts when people ask for gimmie putts with their playing partner.  These were not like 1 foot tap ins but like 6 to 8 foot putts for either par or bogey and they asked for "Gimmies."  I don't understand this at all.  Just make the putt and get a real score and not some made up hypothetical tally.  What is the point of getting the ball all the way to the hole and just picking up... Ah!

Agree.

I say, if you want a gimmie, take a gimmie. Don't ask me to "give" you the gimmie as if that some how validates it! Same with a mulligan, it's your game, you paid your green fees, do whatever you want but don't ask me to "allow" you to take a mulligan, I don't make the rules and I can't modify them for your convenience.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Agree.

I say, if you want a gimmie, take a gimmie. Don't ask me to "give" you the gimmie as if that some how validates it! Same with a mulligan, it's your game, you paid your green fees, do whatever you want but don't ask me to "allow" you to take a mulligan, I don't make the rules and I can't modify them for your convenience.

Yup exactly!

This couple I played with also would say, "is that a gimmmie" then putt it out and miss.  Then the other would say its ok, I already wrote you down for a par.  How is that rewarding?

Tony  

• Administrator

Originally Posted by trickymicky69

people that drive a golf cart through the rough

At some courses around here, when it's wet, they ASK you to do that and stay off the fairways.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yup exactly!

This couple I played with also would say, "is that a gimmmie" then putt it out and miss.  Then the other would say its ok, I already wrote you down for a par.  How is that rewarding?

LMAO. No wonder so many people play worse than me but still post a better score.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The only real pet peeve that I have is when people want you to cheat too because it makes themselves feel better when they cheat.  I have a bud that used to do this and I finally had say something to him to make him stop moving my ball from a bad lie and hitting my ball back to me when I'm still 8' from the hole

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Man.  You've really seen guys ask the buddy who's in the group to given them 6 to 8 footers?!  I've seen people give buddies putts that I thought were overly generous, but we're talking 2.5 footers here, not 6 to 8 feet!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by mdl

Man.  You've really seen guys ask the buddy who's in the group to given them 6 to 8 footers?!  I've seen people give buddies putts that I thought were overly generous, but we're talking 2.5 footers here, not 6 to 8 feet!

I've watched old folks tee up every shot on the course.  Seriously... in the fairway on a second shot in Florida in the summer... no winter rules... just pick it up and re-tee for their second.  Ten foot gimmes would not shock me.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by bwdial

I've watched old folks tee up every shot on the course.  Seriously... in the fairway on a second shot in Florida in the summer... no winter rules... just pick it up and re-tee for their second.  Ten foot gimmes would not shock me.

That's just awesome.  I'm not even mad.  I'm impressed!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

If I get paired up with a twoesome of strangers, I don't care how many gimmies they give each other. If I'm with my buddies though, it's a different story. We never concede a birdie or a par putt unless it's of the 1 foot and in variety. This does bring up another peeve though. If you miss your triple bogey putt and have a foot left and I say "That's good", that means you just shot an 8 NOT a 7.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by mdl

Yeah it was crazy.  These were at least that long and most were not straight putts...  Sounds like they need to hit the practice green more often.

It also bothers me when playing with a stranger and they say, "That's good" when I have a two footer left.  I have to tell them I like finishing out and to hear the noise of the ball in the cup... To me giving gimmies is a terrible practice and I never do it.

Tony  

I can't pick one.....

-Driving carts too close to the green, with or without signage or barriers.

-Unsolicited swing advice.

-Gimmes outside of 6" to maybe a foot.  Are we playing golf or a video game?

-Playing with someone that wants to "compete" with you on a relaxing round, but they won't follow the rules.  They take gimmes, drop balls instead of re-tee when hitting OB, ground clubs in hazards.

-Loud rednecks (it's a southern municipal course thing....)

I am a bit too focused on my game to be annoyed by some of these pet peeves.  I play with strangers a lot, and they often give each other gimmes or don't putt out.  If they blow a 5 foot putt four feet past the hole, they actually pick the ball up before it stops and move on.  The only true pet peeves I have are ones that affect my game or intrude on my focus.  The "lesson" guy is a good example.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

1. the guy that steps on the gas releasing the cart brake in the middle of my swing.

2. the guy that takes his glove off making the velcro sound when i'm putting.

3. the 2 guys that won't stop talking when i go into my pre-shot routine. then they say "you gonna hit?" as i'm standing behind my ball waiting for them to shut up.

4. the guy that doesn't get any pins.

5. the guy that tries to drop his ball after going in a lateral on the line of flight (there is no such thing) or where the ball splashed and not where it crossed.

6. the guy you don't know that wants to "play for something" and won't stop asking.

7. the guy that practice putts while a group is waiting behind him.

8. people that don't drop off their cart partner at their ball and drive the cart to their own ball.

Originally Posted by iacas

At some courses around here, when it's wet, they ASK you to do that and stay off the fairways.

Really?

Round here, with the links rough (12 inches high) the greenkeepers would go berserk

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

3ft from the cup ..... "your not giving me that? like that is it?"

Driver : John Letters T9+, 10.5 deg, Aldila 'Tour Gold' graphite shaft

Woods : John Letters 3W, John Letters T9+, 15 deg, Aldila 'Tour Gold' graphite shaft

Utility : John Letters 3 & 4 Hybrids, T8

Irons : John Letters 5 to SW, T8, True Temper steel shafts

Wedges : John Letters 60 deg, TP-S model

Putter : John Letters Silver Swan, 29 inch shaft

Note: This thread is 2495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!