IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

Note: This thread is 1517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can't stand slow play. Play ready golf please. The next best PO are cellphones...if your cellphone goes off in my backswing it better know how to swim. 8--) John L

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that first paragraph is great and perfect.  Especially reciprocating with advice. you used the words "fairway metal" - I take back the nice thing I just said

Looking back through some of these threads, seems like a lot of folks get pissed off by a lot of stuff, and some guys are pissed if X happens, while others are pissed if X doesn't happen. --I h

No, because that would be improper grammar. Sorry, couldn't resist. :D It struck me as odd but I've gotten used to it. What actually happens is they'll list all the things they do wrong and

I've always tried hard not to be a golf snob.  I'm usually a single and play more than my fair share of golf with strangers, which I really enjoy.  I love meeting new people and playing with almost anyone.  "Slow guy" is definitely on my list, but most days I can deal with that.  "Cheats himself" guy doesn't really bother me either, especially since I don't bet on golf.  I'm here to play my game, I don't really care about yours.  With "Angry guy" it just depends on the kind of mood I'm in, but I've been frustrated more often than not with the insanity of golf, so I can be sympathetic. (I hate it when someone throws or breaks clubs though).

The one guy I absolutely hate is "Hit another" guy.  I don't mind if you offer a mulligan on the first hole, but after I politely decline you should take a hint.  I'm really talking about the guy who tells you to hit another on every shot that isn't perfect.  He's also the guy who walks up to your three-footer, yells "that's good!" and knocks it back to you.  I don't care if you cheat yourself, but don't encourage me to do the same and don't touch my ball while it is in play.  I never hit a mulligan, I never take a gimme, I never roll it over in the fairway.  The bad rolls are just as much a part of the game as the good ones.

Originally Posted by bfn18

I have a good friend of mine who just started playing golf last year. I play with him about once a week and the biggest thing he does that just gets to me is " Can you tell me what I got, I think it was an 8 but i dont know". Other then that, I really dont care who I play with as long as they stay quite when I am over the ball.

haha, I have a friend who is relatively new to golf(just doesn't play enough) and every hole he asks "driver here?"...it isn't frustrating, but its funny when we are standing there staring at a green about 150 yards away..with him, though...the driver might work because thats how far he hits it!

Originally Posted by JoelCochran

II don't care if you cheat yourself, but don't encourage me to do the same and don't touch my ball while it is in play.  I never hit a mulligan, I never take a gimme, I never roll it over in the fairway.  The bad rolls are just as much a part of the game as the good ones.

I think I may have posted about this before. My Uncle and Cousin were always telling me about their game, Uncle shooting in the 80's and the Cuz shooting low 90's. I guess about 2 summers ago we all finally had time to play a round, so before we started I made sure they knew I was lucky to break 100, I didn't want them getting frustrated with me. It took about 1 hole before I found out how they were shooting so low :)

If the drive wasn't perfect, they would hit again. After the tee shot was acceptable, every ball was moved into perfect setup before the next swing, even 1 or 2 feet out of the rough or unpleasant lie, and every ball within a putters grip length was a gimme. I even saw multiple fairway mulligans. Virtually every time I hit the ball bad, they would encourage me to re-hit, but I played my round like I always do, within the rules.

At the end of the day, my Uncle said he shot an 87, and my cousin admitted to a 113, but I think his was even higher. I shot a 103. I'm pretty sure I actually beat my Uncle too :)

Slow play is my biggest pet peeve and it isn't even close.  You don't have to be a good golfer to play at a decent pace.  Know how far you hit the ball, and hit once the other group is out of range.  If you lose a ball, spend a reasonable amount of time looking for it, but if you can't find it quickly, just drop another ball and go.

I got two, one is the guy that constantly picks up a ball on the green and then asks " Is this mine?" The other guy is the one who lines up his fifth putt, for a ten. get real!

I know i already posted one of the most lengthy complaints on here but my buddy is the guy who always brags about how great he is everytime he isn't playing with you. Well today were on hole 18 and we get off the green and he asks what i got i say 7 and he was like "EVEN WITH YOU WATER SHOT" and i was like wait did you count your mulligans on 18 16 12 7 and 6. shut him up pretty quick. YES i did count my water shot and yes my score was still 10 strokes less than yours. GOOD DAY

I'd say these two in this order:

1.  Making other people wait needlessly.  I played this weekend and a guy on #1 sliced a ball to the far left side of our fairway which was #9.  He parked his cart in our fairway and walked the rest of the way to his ball to look at his lie, took a slow walk back to his cart to select his club, slow walked back to his ball, hit it and then slow walked back to his cart.  This guy was old and fat and didn't wave or make any motion other than presuming that he had the right to make the foursome on the tee wait til he hit his second shot of the day.  Frustrating...

2.  You shoot 100, but you get lucky and hit a good shot right before I get unlucky and hit a bad shot.  Then your demeanor turns confident and you decide it's time to give some free advice, usually relating to whatever swing thought you just had in your head at that moment.  You know who you are.  You also know you need to zip it.

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

I know i already posted one of the most lengthy complaints on here but my buddy is the guy who always brags about how great he is everytime he isn't playing with you. Well today were on hole 18 and we get off the green and he asks what i got i say 7 and he was like "EVEN WITH YOU WATER SHOT" and i was like wait did you count your mulligans on 18 16 12 7 and 6. shut him up pretty quick. YES i did count my water shot and yes my score was still 10 strokes less than yours. GOOD DAY

I really like the way you closed your post.  I hope that's what you said to him.

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR!

I hate when people give me golf tips. I'm a new player, but it drives me crazy.

The other day I hit my drive about 170 right in the middle of the fairway. I'll take that. I know it could be better, but for my game it's all good.

Guy says, "You got under that one, watch me hit it and see how I drive through the ball".

His drive carries about 250 and immediately turns right never to be found again.

I didn't say anything, but neither did he for the rest of the round.

Good times.

Originally Posted by rushamania

I hate when people give me golf tips. I'm a new player, but it drives me crazy.

The other day I hit my drive about 170 right in the middle of the fairway. I'll take that. I know it could be better, but for my game it's all good.

Guy says, "You got under that one, watch me hit it and see how I drive through the ball".

His drive carries about 250 and immediately turns right never to be found again.

I didn't say anything, but neither did he for the rest of the round.

Good times.

Awesome!! Whenever I hit a decent iron off the tee someone will say, "Why didn't you hit your driver there? Can't you hit a driver? What's wrong with your driver? You should really learn to hit your driver!" Yeah, that redundantly redundant statement was actually said to me during a round last fall. I was smiling ear to ear when the guy stepped up and peeled his drive deep into into the bush. I really wanted to say, "what's wrong with your driver?"

Playing with people who have fantastic hindsight after I've played my shot. My point specifically - playing at the weekend needing a par 4 on the last to beat my lowest score and I ended up taking a 6. Guy I was playing with says "why didn't you just play it safe and take a 3 wood off the tee?" Granted I could have hit two 5 irons to the green, but up until that point I was playing and driving well. I always hit driver off 18 leaving short wedge in, just how I normally play that hole. My Van de Velde moment you could say.

Originally Posted by the19thhole

Playing with people who have fantastic hindsight after I've played my shot. My point specifically - playing at the weekend needing a par 4 on the last to beat my lowest score and I ended up taking a 6. Guy I was playing with says "why didn't you just play it safe and take a 3 wood off the tee?" Granted I could have hit two 5 irons to the green, but up until that point I was playing and driving well. I always hit driver off 18 leaving short wedge in, just how I normally play that hole. My Van de Velde moment you could say.

Yeah, you probably should have gone with two 5-irons.

Poor etiquette is my biggest pet peeve by far.  I don't need someone to follow the good book of golf, but use some common sense out there.  If you miss your 6 footer and pick it up, let me put out before trying that putt again.  I don't mind slow play, it's good training for tournaments and mental strength.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Awesome!! Whenever I hit a decent iron off the tee someone will say, "Why didn't you hit your driver there? Can't you hit a driver? What's wrong with your driver? You should really learn to hit your driver!" Yeah, that redundantly redundant statement was actually said to me during a round last fall. I was smiling ear to ear when the guy stepped up and peeled his drive deep into into the bush. I really wanted to say, "what's wrong with your driver?"

You should have asked why didn't he hit his iron there?  What's wrong with your iron?  You should really learn to hit your iron.

Note: This thread is 1517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!